Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

This is a discussion on Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't carry when I drink. If I do drink, I throw the gun in the trunk, or at least lock it in the glovebox. ...

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

Voters
396. You may not vote on this poll
  • No carry at all

6 1.52%
  • You can carry, just no drinking.

225 56.82%
  • You can carry, and a drink or two is ok.

94 23.74%
  • You can carry and drink up to the legal limit of .08 BAC

48 12.12%
  • Drink as much as you want, it's your choice.

20 5.05%
  • Don't care / No opinion

3 0.76%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

I don't carry when I drink. If I do drink, I throw the gun in the trunk, or at least lock it in the glovebox. I do like that I can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, though I don't care to carry in a bar.

On a side note, I did find a bar here that was not posted with any liquor license warning, not even 51%...
    Knowing is half the battle.

2. Remove Ads

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Listen to some of yourselves, you should be ashamed. You're using the same logic the anti's use to promote gun control. They know they can't handle a gun themselves, or don't trust other people with guns, so they want them all BANNED, BANNED BANNED BANNED!!

The same thing is happening here. Either most of you can't control yourselves enough while intoxicated to carry, or you don't trust other people to be able to have control over themselves enough to carry a firearm while intoxicated, so you want it prohibited, and banned. AND BANNED BANNED BANNED!!!!

If it isn't apparent, I voted for carrying and drinking with no limits.
    It's called LIBERTY people. With that comes individual responsibility and accountability. Those who cannot act responsible will be held accountable, and as such will either die in a hail of fire from the people who can control themselves, or they will be imprisoned and left to think about their crimes in a dingy concrete room.

I've gone to the bar, and I've drank, more than two beers. I never killed anyone, my gun never jumped out of the holster and mowed down children and other innocents. I never got a tough guy mentality and started a fight, because I had a gun. See, the thing is, I never do that when I'm sober, and I never do that when I'm drinking. I never did that before I had a gun, and I'll never do it when I have a gun.

If you don't trust yourself, fine. If you don't trust other people, stay home. Don't limit and prohibit the freedoms of other people because of problems that YOU have. This is the USA for cryin' out loud. Our founding fathers would laugh you out of the forum.

This whole arguemet that you are all purporting is the same that the anti's for gun ownership. Yeesh, I think I'm sick after reading all these posts.

VIP Member
    Well hot damn lets all get a bottle of Jack and start doing shots. Jcabin the OP asked for opinions everyone has one. You have sat here and said it is ok for a person to be intoxicated while carrying which violates one of the founding safety rules for firearms.
    If you can go to happy hour and get sloshed while packing great, many people cant and it has been pointed out on this forum before many CCW holders have the bare minimum of firearms training and confidence in their abilities so they yes have the right to carry but should they carry in a bar while drinking probably not. Oh but wait that is on them, their choice and if they screw up they will have to suffer the legal and civil penalties no matter what inocent is hurt in the process.
    Yep it is your right to carry, it is your right to drink, get sloshed do whatever but the two together dont mix. Having a drink with dinner is one thing going to a bar armed and getting drunk is another. As I stated before IF YOU HAD TO USE Y0UR FIREARM even in a legal shoot you would be hung out to dry simply because you were drunk.
    And please just because someone does not agree with someone elses opinion do not start with the anti gun crap. I am on the other side of the universe from anti gun but I live on the same street as common sense.
    But as stated you have your opinion

Mine's more specific than poll allows, so I'll vote the closest and elaborate.

Bars: No
    Restaurants: Yes
    Drinking while carrying: NO

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Listen to some of yourselves, you should be ashamed. You're using the same logic the anti's use to promote gun control. They know they can't handle a gun themselves, or don't trust other people with guns, so they want them all BANNED, BANNED BANNED BANNED!!

The same thing is happening here. Either most of you can't control yourselves enough while intoxicated to carry, or you don't trust other people to be able to have control over themselves enough to carry a firearm while intoxicated, so you want it prohibited, and banned. AND BANNED BANNED BANNED!!!!

It's called LIBERTY people. With that comes individual responsibility and accountability. Those who cannot act responsible will be held accountable, and as such will either die in a hail of fire from the people who can control themselves, or they will be imprisoned and left to think about their crimes in a dingy concrete room.

I've gone to the bar, and I've drank, more than two beers. I never killed anyone, my gun never jumped out of the holster and mowed down children and other innocents. I never got a tough guy mentality and started a fight, because I had a gun. See, the thing is, I never do that when I'm sober, and I never do that when I'm drinking. I never did that before I had a gun, and I'll never do it when I have a gun.

If you don't trust yourself, fine. If you don't trust other people, stay home. Don't limit and prohibit the freedoms of other people because of problems that YOU have. This is the USA for cryin' out loud. Our founding fathers would laugh you out of the forum.

This whole arguemet that you are all purporting is the same that the anti's for gun ownership. Yeesh, I think I'm sick after reading all these posts.
    This is the type of paranoia the gun grabbers LOOOOOVE to cling to. This post exposes your lack of proper training, understanding of how alcohol effects you and extremely poor handgun judgment.

Just because you can do something, does not mean it's a good idea.

The purpose to carry is to protect yourself and those around you from violence.

In order to achieve that purpose, you may be required to act at a moments notice, employing all your faculties to quickly and accurately stop the threat.

Alcohol dulls the senses, slows down reaction time and greatly limits accuracy. As such, the primary goal of CCW is now gone.

Who cares what the law says. It's horribly irresponsible to carry while drinking simply because your ability to defend is hampered.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Restrants....Yes.
    Bars...........Yes.
    Booze.........No.

If I'm heeled,then I will not consume. My personal choice.
    If something goes down, I will be 100% sober.....be it behind the wheel, packing my sidearm, whatever.
    I do believe a drink would be fine, but I won't partake of one while carrying that responsability.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

In Florida, you can't enter the bar area of a restaurant, but you can sit in the food area and order just drinks. Problem comes in should you ever use the weapon.

I answered "You can carry, and a drink or two is ok" as I usually have a beer or wine with a meal/dinner, but I never drink without eating. I don't consider just having drinks and carrying to be a very good thing, but it also depends on the person.

Do LEOs leave their firearm in the car when they have a drink with dinner or just drinks?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Who cares what the law says. It's horribly irresponsible to carry while drinking simply because your ability to defend is hampered.
    The reality is, it all comes down to the person (i.e.- their alcohol tolerance, their temperament, their state of mind, etc.). There are persons with lightning fast reflexes and those with the speed of a snail. You have people that freeze under pressure and those that fight or take flight. There are no one-size-fits-all.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post

That is great for you to think you are perfectly fine after 2+ beers. However what if your not???
    If you want to have a few beers and plink cans with your buddies that is your choice... CCW is much different though.

CCW requires someone to have situational awareness, as well as self awareness in one's limits. Consuming alcohol would increase the chance you overestimate your abilities while impaired and it could cost you your life.

Yes this is America and yes the founding fathers would be for carrying... but come on......be reasonable just because you feel fine after drinking several beers doesn't mean you are and doesn't mean that everyone is.

Not everyone is responsible enough to stop after 1 or 2 drinks. Not everyone is responsible enough to even carry a gun. This thread is not about imposing new legislation it is about people's opinion about carrying into bars and restaurants and if they drink or not.

To get all fired up and calling people's opinion anti gun is ridicules.

Remember an opinion is like a butt... everyone has one.... and most of them stink. Take opinions with a grain of salt...you'll live longer.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    The reality is, it all comes down to the person (i.e.- their alcohol tolerance, their temperament, their state of mind, etc.). There are persons with lightning fast reflexes and those with the speed of a snail. You have people that freeze under pressure and those that fight or take flight. There are no one-size-fits-all.
    I'm sorry but science trumps opinion.

I fail to see how the difference in peoples sober reaction time or their temperament while sober is material here. I am speaking to actual act of killing another human being in defense of yourself or others.

Yes, there is a slight difference in the time, absorption and thus, effects of alcohol in people. But the chemical reactions to alcohol consumption happen to everyone who consumes. The act of accurately firing a round or twelve into someone else effectively, like a golf shot, requires precision at the point of action to achieve success at a distance away.

Alcohol creates certain non-voluntary bodily reactions independent of a persons tolerance which can effect the trajectory of the bullet.

Just as it is incredibly irresponsible to drink and drive, likewise when you're in possession of a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    That is great for you to think you are perfectly fine after 2+ beers. However what if your not???
    If you want to have a few beers and plink cans with your buddies that is your choice... CCW is much different though.

CCW requires someone to have situational awareness, as well as self awareness in one's limits. Consuming alcohol would increase the chance you overestimate your abilities while impaired and it could cost you your life.

Yes this is America and yes the founding fathers would be for carrying... but come on......be reasonable just because you feel fine after drinking several beers doesn't mean you are and doesn't mean that everyone is.

Not everyone is responsible enough to stop after 1 or 2 drinks. Not everyone is responsible enough to even carry a gun. This thread is not about imposing new legislation it is about people's opinion about carrying into bars and restaurants and if they drink or not.

Remember an opinion is like a butt... everyone has one.... and most of them stink. Take opinions with a grain of salt...you'll live longer.
    The problem with alcohol is its inherent and DESIRED effect. By it's nature, it damages your ability to tell IF you're impaired.

I drink.

I carry.

I NEVER do them at the same time.

VIP Member
    I voted FOR carry in bars and restaurants, and FOR one or two drinks.

I don't necessarily think it's the best thing to make the decision to drink while armed, but, it SHOULD be each persons own decision.

Just remember, you can be convicted for a DUI with a BAC lower than .08
    In Utah, (where I'm from) you can legally carry with a BAC lower than .08, but you can be under the influence below that level. Make your choices wisely.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Really? What do you define as "fine"? I can tell you I've drank alot more than 2 beers and my gun never came out of the holster and started killing people, mowing down children, and causing me to become an over zealous slooth, solving crimes by shooting first and asking questions later. Again, anti gun sentiments, that YOU have a problem with, so you don't want other people carrying because it scares YOU. Around here, everyone carries a gun. They carry at the bar too. I've been of drinking age for 4 years now, and guess what, I haven't seen a single shoot out. I've seen plenty of disagreements, sometimes heated arguements, and all parties involved had guns. Guess what, those guns didn't come out of the holster and start shooting. No threats were made about shooting someone to the ground. I can't believe I have to explain this to another gun owner. It's about individual responsibility, and doing what is right.

Funny enough you probably have it all backwards. You don't have a problem with people getting drunk and shooting guns in their back yard, but they shouldn't carry one for self defense? Where is the logic behind this? You let people manipulate dangerous machinery while wasted, but they shouldn't be able to defend their lives? Come on, you don't make much sense here.

Wrong again. Is that what would happen to you, or is it that is what you think would happen to everyone else? So you're scared and don't want people drinking and carrying as a result of this assumption. Something you don't trust about yourself, you project onto the masses. It's the same way anti-gun people feel about all of us who carry guns. They know they couldn't handle a gun because they would shoot someone over getting cut off, or having a parking spot taken, or they just don't trust people in general and are terrified at the thought of the general populace carrying guns. So they want them BANNED BANNED BANNED. How is your sentiment any different? You don't trust yourself or other people to carry and drink, because it scares you. So you don't want anyone carrying and drinking.

Don't tell me consuming alcohol would increase the chance I would over estimate my abilities and could end up dead as a result of that. Firstly, because it won't happen(but you don't trust me, or other gun owners, so you want it BANNED BANNED BANNED). Secondly, because this is a land of free men, why don't you mind your own business, and not worry about what other people do. Unless they are infringing on your rights, there should be no issue. Yeah, someone may do something stupid, but they will be held accountable, sometimes things happen. That is going to happen regardless of restrictive laws or not. This is a basic tenet of liberty. I can't believe how hard this is for so many of you to comprehend.

To read the amount of opinions displaying anti-gun sentiment in this thread, is what is rediculous

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    Do LEOs leave their firearm in the car when they have a drink with dinner or just drinks?
    That's a very good point.

My vote is carry in restaurants is fine, and I personally don't see anything wrong with bars (although the State of Florida prohibits it so obviously I don't).

The question of drinking is a big one. My vote is a drink or two is fine. This entirely depends on the person, of course, and the amount of time spent there. I may have a beer with dinner while carrying. I'd never carry if I was planning on having more than a single drink (or possibly two if it was a large and very long dinner with a big group).

I do agree that guns and booze are a very bad mix. It's a personal choice, but I think that in extreme moderation it's just fine.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links