Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

This is a discussion on Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't carry when I drink. If I do drink, I throw the gun in the trunk, or at least lock it in the glovebox. ...

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

Voters
396. You may not vote on this poll
  • No carry at all

    6 1.52%
  • You can carry, just no drinking.

    225 56.82%
  • You can carry, and a drink or two is ok.

    94 23.74%
  • You can carry and drink up to the legal limit of .08 BAC

    48 12.12%
  • Drink as much as you want, it's your choice.

    20 5.05%
  • Don't care / No opinion

    3 0.76%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 186

Thread: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

  1. #61
    Member Array aedinius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    352
    I don't carry when I drink. If I do drink, I throw the gun in the trunk, or at least lock it in the glovebox. I do like that I can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, though I don't care to carry in a bar.

    On a side note, I did find a bar here that was not posted with any liquor license warning, not even 51%...
    Knowing is half the battle.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #62
    Member Array Jcabin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    414
    Listen to some of yourselves, you should be ashamed. You're using the same logic the anti's use to promote gun control. They know they can't handle a gun themselves, or don't trust other people with guns, so they want them all BANNED, BANNED BANNED BANNED!!

    The same thing is happening here. Either most of you can't control yourselves enough while intoxicated to carry, or you don't trust other people to be able to have control over themselves enough to carry a firearm while intoxicated, so you want it prohibited, and banned. AND BANNED BANNED BANNED!!!!

    If it isn't apparent, I voted for carrying and drinking with no limits.
    It's called LIBERTY people. With that comes individual responsibility and accountability. Those who cannot act responsible will be held accountable, and as such will either die in a hail of fire from the people who can control themselves, or they will be imprisoned and left to think about their crimes in a dingy concrete room.

    I've gone to the bar, and I've drank, more than two beers. I never killed anyone, my gun never jumped out of the holster and mowed down children and other innocents. I never got a tough guy mentality and started a fight, because I had a gun. See, the thing is, I never do that when I'm sober, and I never do that when I'm drinking. I never did that before I had a gun, and I'll never do it when I have a gun.

    If you don't trust yourself, fine. If you don't trust other people, stay home. Don't limit and prohibit the freedoms of other people because of problems that YOU have. This is the USA for cryin' out loud. Our founding fathers would laugh you out of the forum.

    This whole arguemet that you are all purporting is the same that the anti's for gun ownership. Yeesh, I think I'm sick after reading all these posts.

  4. #63
    VIP Member
    Array tacman605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas/On the X in Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,994
    Well hot damn lets all get a bottle of Jack and start doing shots. Jcabin the OP asked for opinions everyone has one. You have sat here and said it is ok for a person to be intoxicated while carrying which violates one of the founding safety rules for firearms.
    If you can go to happy hour and get sloshed while packing great, many people cant and it has been pointed out on this forum before many CCW holders have the bare minimum of firearms training and confidence in their abilities so they yes have the right to carry but should they carry in a bar while drinking probably not. Oh but wait that is on them, their choice and if they screw up they will have to suffer the legal and civil penalties no matter what inocent is hurt in the process.
    Yep it is your right to carry, it is your right to drink, get sloshed do whatever but the two together dont mix. Having a drink with dinner is one thing going to a bar armed and getting drunk is another. As I stated before IF YOU HAD TO USE Y0UR FIREARM even in a legal shoot you would be hung out to dry simply because you were drunk.
    And please just because someone does not agree with someone elses opinion do not start with the anti gun crap. I am on the other side of the universe from anti gun but I live on the same street as common sense.
    But as stated you have your opinion

  5. #64
    Member Array NIS350ZTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    244
    Mine's more specific than poll allows, so I'll vote the closest and elaborate.

    Bars: No
    Restaurants: Yes
    Drinking while carrying: NO

  6. #65
    Ex Member Array HoustonRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Listen to some of yourselves, you should be ashamed. You're using the same logic the anti's use to promote gun control. They know they can't handle a gun themselves, or don't trust other people with guns, so they want them all BANNED, BANNED BANNED BANNED!!

    The same thing is happening here. Either most of you can't control yourselves enough while intoxicated to carry, or you don't trust other people to be able to have control over themselves enough to carry a firearm while intoxicated, so you want it prohibited, and banned. AND BANNED BANNED BANNED!!!!

    If it isn't apparent, I voted for carrying and drinking with no limits.
    It's called LIBERTY people. With that comes individual responsibility and accountability. Those who cannot act responsible will be held accountable, and as such will either die in a hail of fire from the people who can control themselves, or they will be imprisoned and left to think about their crimes in a dingy concrete room.

    I've gone to the bar, and I've drank, more than two beers. I never killed anyone, my gun never jumped out of the holster and mowed down children and other innocents. I never got a tough guy mentality and started a fight, because I had a gun. See, the thing is, I never do that when I'm sober, and I never do that when I'm drinking. I never did that before I had a gun, and I'll never do it when I have a gun.

    If you don't trust yourself, fine. If you don't trust other people, stay home. Don't limit and prohibit the freedoms of other people because of problems that YOU have. This is the USA for cryin' out loud. Our founding fathers would laugh you out of the forum.

    This whole arguemet that you are all purporting is the same that the anti's for gun ownership. Yeesh, I think I'm sick after reading all these posts.
    This is the type of paranoia the gun grabbers LOOOOOVE to cling to. This post exposes your lack of proper training, understanding of how alcohol effects you and extremely poor handgun judgment.

    Just because you can do something, does not mean it's a good idea.

    The purpose to carry is to protect yourself and those around you from violence.

    In order to achieve that purpose, you may be required to act at a moments notice, employing all your faculties to quickly and accurately stop the threat.

    Alcohol dulls the senses, slows down reaction time and greatly limits accuracy. As such, the primary goal of CCW is now gone.

    Who cares what the law says. It's horribly irresponsible to carry while drinking simply because your ability to defend is hampered.

  7. #66
    VIP Member Array goldshellback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Posts
    4,749
    Restrants....Yes.
    Bars...........Yes.
    Booze.........No.

    If I'm heeled,then I will not consume. My personal choice.
    If something goes down, I will be 100% sober.....be it behind the wheel, packing my sidearm, whatever.
    I do believe a drink would be fine, but I won't partake of one while carrying that responsability.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

    (Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

  8. #67
    Senior Member Array cz75luver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    552
    In Florida, you can't enter the bar area of a restaurant, but you can sit in the food area and order just drinks. Problem comes in should you ever use the weapon.

    I answered "You can carry, and a drink or two is ok" as I usually have a beer or wine with a meal/dinner, but I never drink without eating. I don't consider just having drinks and carrying to be a very good thing, but it also depends on the person.

    Do LEOs leave their firearm in the car when they have a drink with dinner or just drinks?

  9. #68
    Senior Member Array cz75luver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Who cares what the law says. It's horribly irresponsible to carry while drinking simply because your ability to defend is hampered.
    The reality is, it all comes down to the person (i.e.- their alcohol tolerance, their temperament, their state of mind, etc.). There are persons with lightning fast reflexes and those with the speed of a snail. You have people that freeze under pressure and those that fight or take flight. There are no one-size-fits-all.

  10. #69
    Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Listen to some of yourselves, you should be ashamed. You're using the same logic the anti's use to promote gun control. They know they can't handle a gun themselves, or don't trust other people with guns, so they want them all BANNED, BANNED BANNED BANNED!!

    The same thing is happening here. Either most of you can't control yourselves enough while intoxicated to carry, or you don't trust other people to be able to have control over themselves enough to carry a firearm while intoxicated, so you want it prohibited, and banned. AND BANNED BANNED BANNED!!!!

    If it isn't apparent, I voted for carrying and drinking with no limits.
    It's called LIBERTY people. With that comes individual responsibility and accountability. Those who cannot act responsible will be held accountable, and as such will either die in a hail of fire from the people who can control themselves, or they will be imprisoned and left to think about their crimes in a dingy concrete room.

    I've gone to the bar, and I've drank, more than two beers. I never killed anyone, my gun never jumped out of the holster and mowed down children and other innocents. I never got a tough guy mentality and started a fight, because I had a gun. See, the thing is, I never do that when I'm sober, and I never do that when I'm drinking. I never did that before I had a gun, and I'll never do it when I have a gun.

    If you don't trust yourself, fine. If you don't trust other people, stay home. Don't limit and prohibit the freedoms of other people because of problems that YOU have. This is the USA for cryin' out loud. Our founding fathers would laugh you out of the forum.

    This whole arguemet that you are all purporting is the same that the anti's for gun ownership. Yeesh, I think I'm sick after reading all these posts.
    That is great for you to think you are perfectly fine after 2+ beers. However what if your not???
    If you want to have a few beers and plink cans with your buddies that is your choice... CCW is much different though.

    CCW requires someone to have situational awareness, as well as self awareness in one's limits. Consuming alcohol would increase the chance you overestimate your abilities while impaired and it could cost you your life.

    Yes this is America and yes the founding fathers would be for carrying... but come on......be reasonable just because you feel fine after drinking several beers doesn't mean you are and doesn't mean that everyone is.

    Not everyone is responsible enough to stop after 1 or 2 drinks. Not everyone is responsible enough to even carry a gun. This thread is not about imposing new legislation it is about people's opinion about carrying into bars and restaurants and if they drink or not.

    To get all fired up and calling people's opinion anti gun is ridicules.

    Remember an opinion is like a butt... everyone has one.... and most of them stink. Take opinions with a grain of salt...you'll live longer.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

  11. #70
    Ex Member Array HoustonRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    The reality is, it all comes down to the person (i.e.- their alcohol tolerance, their temperament, their state of mind, etc.). There are persons with lightning fast reflexes and those with the speed of a snail. You have people that freeze under pressure and those that fight or take flight. There are no one-size-fits-all.
    I'm sorry but science trumps opinion.

    I fail to see how the difference in peoples sober reaction time or their temperament while sober is material here. I am speaking to actual act of killing another human being in defense of yourself or others.

    Yes, there is a slight difference in the time, absorption and thus, effects of alcohol in people. But the chemical reactions to alcohol consumption happen to everyone who consumes. The act of accurately firing a round or twelve into someone else effectively, like a golf shot, requires precision at the point of action to achieve success at a distance away.

    Alcohol creates certain non-voluntary bodily reactions independent of a persons tolerance which can effect the trajectory of the bullet.

    Just as it is incredibly irresponsible to drink and drive, likewise when you're in possession of a firearm.

  12. #71
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    That is great for you to think you are perfectly fine after 2+ beers. However what if your not???
    If you want to have a few beers and plink cans with your buddies that is your choice... CCW is much different though.

    CCW requires someone to have situational awareness, as well as self awareness in one's limits. Consuming alcohol would increase the chance you overestimate your abilities while impaired and it could cost you your life.

    Yes this is America and yes the founding fathers would be for carrying... but come on......be reasonable just because you feel fine after drinking several beers doesn't mean you are and doesn't mean that everyone is.

    Not everyone is responsible enough to stop after 1 or 2 drinks. Not everyone is responsible enough to even carry a gun. This thread is not about imposing new legislation it is about people's opinion about carrying into bars and restaurants and if they drink or not.

    To get all fired up and calling people's opinion anti gun is ridicules.

    Remember an opinion is like a butt... everyone has one.... and most of them stink. Take opinions with a grain of salt...you'll live longer.
    The problem with alcohol is its inherent and DESIRED effect. By it's nature, it damages your ability to tell IF you're impaired.

    I drink.

    I carry.

    I NEVER do them at the same time.

  13. #72
    VIP Member
    Array sigmanluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,209
    I voted FOR carry in bars and restaurants, and FOR one or two drinks.

    I don't necessarily think it's the best thing to make the decision to drink while armed, but, it SHOULD be each persons own decision.

    Just remember, you can be convicted for a DUI with a BAC lower than .08
    In Utah, (where I'm from) you can legally carry with a BAC lower than .08, but you can be under the influence below that level. Make your choices wisely.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

  14. #73
    Member Array Jcabin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    That is great for you to think you are perfectly fine after 2+ beers. However what if your not???
    If you want to have a few beers and plink cans with your buddies that is your choice... CCW is much different though.
    Really? What do you define as "fine"? I can tell you I've drank alot more than 2 beers and my gun never came out of the holster and started killing people, mowing down children, and causing me to become an over zealous slooth, solving crimes by shooting first and asking questions later. Again, anti gun sentiments, that YOU have a problem with, so you don't want other people carrying because it scares YOU. Around here, everyone carries a gun. They carry at the bar too. I've been of drinking age for 4 years now, and guess what, I haven't seen a single shoot out. I've seen plenty of disagreements, sometimes heated arguements, and all parties involved had guns. Guess what, those guns didn't come out of the holster and start shooting. No threats were made about shooting someone to the ground. I can't believe I have to explain this to another gun owner. It's about individual responsibility, and doing what is right.

    Funny enough you probably have it all backwards. You don't have a problem with people getting drunk and shooting guns in their back yard, but they shouldn't carry one for self defense? Where is the logic behind this? You let people manipulate dangerous machinery while wasted, but they shouldn't be able to defend their lives? Come on, you don't make much sense here.

    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    CCW requires someone to have situational awareness, as well as self awareness in one's limits. Consuming alcohol would increase the chance you overestimate your abilities while impaired and it could cost you your life.
    Wrong again. Is that what would happen to you, or is it that is what you think would happen to everyone else? So you're scared and don't want people drinking and carrying as a result of this assumption. Something you don't trust about yourself, you project onto the masses. It's the same way anti-gun people feel about all of us who carry guns. They know they couldn't handle a gun because they would shoot someone over getting cut off, or having a parking spot taken, or they just don't trust people in general and are terrified at the thought of the general populace carrying guns. So they want them BANNED BANNED BANNED. How is your sentiment any different? You don't trust yourself or other people to carry and drink, because it scares you. So you don't want anyone carrying and drinking.

    Don't tell me consuming alcohol would increase the chance I would over estimate my abilities and could end up dead as a result of that. Firstly, because it won't happen(but you don't trust me, or other gun owners, so you want it BANNED BANNED BANNED). Secondly, because this is a land of free men, why don't you mind your own business, and not worry about what other people do. Unless they are infringing on your rights, there should be no issue. Yeah, someone may do something stupid, but they will be held accountable, sometimes things happen. That is going to happen regardless of restrictive laws or not. This is a basic tenet of liberty. I can't believe how hard this is for so many of you to comprehend.


    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    To get all fired up and calling people's opinion anti gun is ridicules.
    To read the amount of opinions displaying anti-gun sentiment in this thread, is what is rediculous

  15. #74
    Member Array NIS350ZTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    Do LEOs leave their firearm in the car when they have a drink with dinner or just drinks?
    That's a very good point.

  16. #75
    Senior Member Array gdm320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    564
    My vote is carry in restaurants is fine, and I personally don't see anything wrong with bars (although the State of Florida prohibits it so obviously I don't).

    The question of drinking is a big one. My vote is a drink or two is fine. This entirely depends on the person, of course, and the amount of time spent there. I may have a beer with dinner while carrying. I'd never carry if I was planning on having more than a single drink (or possibly two if it was a large and very long dinner with a big group).

    I do agree that guns and booze are a very bad mix. It's a personal choice, but I think that in extreme moderation it's just fine.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. NC Restaurant carry
    By mackers in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: April 7th, 2010, 12:33 AM
  2. Restaurant carry in AZ
    By Once Bitten in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
  3. My new stand in carry rig...Don Hume
    By jaymzo in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: June 4th, 2008, 05:42 PM
  4. Restaurant carry (for those who can or may by law)
    By Ram Rod in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2008, 01:13 AM
  5. ? about Restaurant Carry in VA
    By Glock_19 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 31st, 2007, 09:34 AM

Search tags for this page

can you carry and conceal in a bar restaurant in minnesota

,
can you conceal carry in a bar in idaho
,
conceal carry in mn resturant/bar
,
concealed carry bar idaho
,

how to carry drink in restaurant

,
idaho state law on concealed carry in bar
,

in idaho can you carry a weapon in a bar

,
in minnesota can you conceal carry in a bar
,
minnesota conceal carry bars
,

south carolina police concealed carry in bars

,
south carolina senate to vote on concealed carry in bars
,
va conceal carry in a bar
Click on a term to search for related topics.