Training requirements

This is a discussion on Training requirements within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not to turn into a "should training be required" debate. My question is simple. I know there are several states that require training ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training requirements

Training requirements

This is not to turn into a "should training be required" debate.

My question is simple. I know there are several states that require training in order to apply for a carry license.

But presently are there any states that require training in order to renew said license?

2. Remove Ads

Oklahoma doesn't.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    This is not to turn into a "should training be required" debate.

My question is simple. I know there are several states that require training in order to apply for a carry license.

But presently are there any states that require training in order to renew said license?
    Iowa will partially require it starting Jan 1st, 2010. A person will either need to take a class again, or shoot with an instructor and have the instructor sign off on them.

However, for renewal of
    a permit the training program requirements in section 724.9 subsection 1, shall apply
    or the renewal applicant may choose to qualify on a firing
    range under the supervision of an instructor certified by the
    national rifle association or the department of public safety
    or another state's department of public safety, state police
    department, or similar certifying body. Such training or
    qualification must occur within the twelve=month period prior
    to the expiration of the applicant's current permit.

JD - I knew you'd chime in with that...

That was the info that prompted my question....curious if IA will be the only state to require it.

In Michigan you are supposed to complete 3 hours of education plus an hour of range time within 6 months of renewal.

Cheers,
    Collin

Arizona had a refresher course requirement for CCW renewal, but that requirement was dropped a few years ago.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

In Texas you have to take the 2nd half of the CHL class (4 or 5 hours) and re-qual on the range... and I fully support that requirement.

In WV you just have to pay a renewal fee every five years.

Not exactly training... MN requires that you be able to fire in the general direction of the target without endangering yourself or bystanders

I also agree with the refresher course that Texas requires. It isn't as expensive as the initial liscensing class, and it covers changes in the laws over the years. Plus who doesn't enjoy a little range time?

Maybe we should all be required to be trained in sentence construction, spelling, proper use of the English language, etc. before we are allowed to exercise our first Amendment rights of free speech.
    I have read the second Amendment many times and nowhere in it is a requirement for training of any sort.
    Have I had training? You betcha! My Dad provided it along with my 1st BB gun, and reinforced it throughout my entire childhood. I had training provided by Uncle Sam for the weapons they provided for my use.
    Here in Florida, that is considered sufficient, along with handing me a copy of the laws pertaining to Concealed Carry in my State. Read and comply were the instructions accompanying the laws.
    I feel for those of you that have more onerous requirements than these. I am jealous of you with less rigorus requirements (AK, VT, and now AZ).
    I have been a hunter for most of my adult life and feel comfortable with my weapons of choice. I really don't need some bureaucrat telling me I need to be further trained. JMHO
    Life is too short to be serious!

Quote Originally Posted by keester View Post
    Not exactly training... MN requires that you be able to fire in the general direction of the target without endangering yourself or bystanders
    Now that's good training!!!

No renewal for me, Life-Time LTCH! Just had to throw that in. hehe
    Last edited by Gun Bunny; May 4th, 2010 at 11:33 PM.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcain007 View Post
    I also agree with the refresher course that Texas requires. It isn't as expensive as the initial liscensing class, and it covers changes in the laws over the years. Plus who doesn't enjoy a little range time?
    Since more people are killed with cars every year than with guns, maybe a drivers training course should be required each time you renew your drivers license as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Since more people are killed with cars every year than with guns, maybe a drivers training course should be required each time you renew your drivers license as well.
    Actually that makes more sense. No right to drive in the Constitution, and I'm convinced 90% of folks forgot everything they learning in driver's ed. ("We don't need no d*** turn signals! I'm on the phone")

MN does require a shorter classroom session and range proficiency test for renewal.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links