Defensive shooting statistics

This is a discussion on Defensive shooting statistics within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where can I find RELIABLE statistics on violent crime and defensive shootings? What I am looking for are things like number of rounds fires, number ...

Thread: Defensive shooting statistics

Where can I find RELIABLE statistics on violent crime and defensive shootings?
    What I am looking for are things like number of rounds fires, number of assailants involved, time of day attackes occured and where attacks occured.
    I need a source I can trust. Can anybody help me out on this?

Thanks,
    CinSC

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I cannot help with statistics, but I would caution you not to put too much stock in anything you get from the internet, verified or not by Snopes or anybody else. It's too bad but I've been around long enough to have been around before television and the great promise it held for the future, ditto the internet. It is what it is.

Most of the information you'll find is anecdotal and you'll rarely have all the info you're looking for. You might get time of day and the number of holes in bodies, but not the number of shots fired.

To get accurate and reliable data would require access to official police reports along with autopsy or medical reports. You're not going to find those as a casual (i.e., neither professional nor scientific) web surfer.

You might try contacting Massad Ayoob and ask him how to find such info. If your interest is indeed academic, professional or scientific, he might unlock some doors for you or at least point you in the right direction.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Statistics are great for quoting and all all that, but stats won't matter for the individual at his moment of truth. Moreover, unreported incidents don't make it into the UCR database, and I believe MANY incidents that don't result in a dead body go unreported.

UCR = Uniform Crime Report, a function of the FBI, gathered from PD crime reports nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Statistics are great for quoting and all all that, but stats won't matter for the individual at his moment of truth. Moreover, unreported incidents don't make it into the UCR database, and I believe MANY incidents that don't result in a dead body go unreported.

UCR = Uniform Crime Report, a function of the FBI, gathered from PD crime reports nationwide.
    That would indeed seem to be the case just looking at incidents posted here and elsewhere on the internet that according to the poster did not get reported to the police.

You will find "statistics" on the internet but it is my belief that they are influenced by the political position of the "researcher" in many cases.

Finally, 86% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Links