traveling to sc

traveling to sc

This is a discussion on traveling to sc within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey all,next week we are going to sc from fl.as a fl resident cwl holder is there anything special we need to know about cc ...

Thread: traveling to sc

traveling to sc

hey all,next week we are going to sc from fl.as a fl resident cwl holder is there anything special we need to know about cc in sc.i know we have to inform leo for being armed,anything else?do the no cc signs hold any value if they are not the exact as handgunlaw.us website says they are required to be(if it says no cc,and is blue lettering on yellow background,for example)is it valid? tia

You cannot carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

yeah what he said. that pretty much sums it up. watch your speed no more than 10 mph over on the interstates troopers love florida tags

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    That pretty much sums it up for ya here in SC. Enjoy your stay.......and feel free to spend some money while you're here...we need it:)
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    That pretty much sums it up for ya here in SC. Enjoy your stay.......and feel free to spend some money while you're here...we need it:)
    amen to that the govt. is spending it faster than we can give it

Welcome to SC!

The signs hold legal weight. Even if they're not exactly as the law requires, the responding LEO will probably take into account the INTENT of the sign and force you to honor it.

Printing is ok as long as it's not identifiable as a gun.

An accidental, brief "flash" is ok "as long as an effort is being made to conceal."

You may carry your weapon transferring it from the car to your motel room without being violated.

If you reach for ID in your car, and that open compartment exposes your weapon, you are not violated, but I'd damn sure inform the cop it was in there BEFORE reaching.

Most financial institutions do not allow guns of any type.

Watch your speed - FYI, State Troopers in SC often drive unmarked Dodge Chargers and large SUVs. I-85 between Anderson and Spartanburg is particularly bad.

If you have a reciprocal CWP, you may carry concealed in your car. Otherwise, your gun must be in a closed (not locked) compartment attached to the car, like a glove box or console.

You MUST inform if asked for ID, like in a traffic stop. You MUST carry your permit with you if carrying.

SC is fairly liberal about gun carry, and the LEOs I've run into have been very professional about the situation. The LEO may confiscate your weapon for the duration of the stop - don't argue, he's insuring his safety. Some will simply tell you to keep your hands away from it.

Concealed means concealed. Don't ask, don't tell. What they don't know won't hurt them. All three work well here.

Enjoy your stay!

What Keltye said except I will disagree about most banks and financial institutions. I live in Myrtle Beach and in almost 6 years have only seen 1 legal sign and that was on a IHOP.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    What Keltye said except I will disagree about most banks and financial institutions. I live in Myrtle Beach and in almost 6 years have only seen 1 legal sign and that was on a IHOP.
    Lucky you! Come up to Spartanburg County - you'll see plenty.

The signs have to be EXACTLY as described in the law or they are no good.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by jp3276 View Post
    The signs have to be EXACTLY as described in the law or they are no good.
    True...BUT...I wouldn't argue the point with a store or institution manager and certainly wouldn't argue with the LEO he summons to have you removed from the premises.

The controlling entity has the right to refuse service for almost ANY reason, AND to have to evicted and/or arrested if you don't comply. There are any number of charges a LEO can use to force you to leave - quietly or not. Don't push it, you won't win.

THANKS to all esp keltyke that has answered most of the things i was curious about

anybody else think of anything not covered yet?

Quote Originally Posted by oneton View Post
    anybody else think of anything not covered yet?
    One more thing...if you get off the Interstate in the Duncan, Lyman, Welford area of Hwy. 29 - do not, I repeat DO NOT speed!!! It's a known speed trap and they'll nail an OOS tag fur sur.

Links