Defensive Carry banner

Those of you with iPhones - CC & OC App

3K views 41 replies 33 participants last post by  PoPs54 
#1 · (Edited)
If you have an iPhone download the app called LegalHeat (all one word), it costs $1.99 but it is worth it. It gives you a list of each state and it's laws regarding both CC and OC. It rates each state from 1-5. 1 being poor, 5 being great. It covers both OC and CC. The ratings are not the same for each state. For example FL gets a 5 for CC but a 1 of OC etc...

You pick an option first, CC or OC. Then it gives you the list of states. You select the state and it gives you a run down of all the laws and shows the actual statues prohibiting or allowing XYZ activity, what is off limits etc... All with a handy dandy map of what permits that state honors, and what states honor that state.

It also has transport laws and cites the federal interstate transport law. It's a pretty handy app. If you have an iPhone I recommend you get it.

#2 ·
That would be pretty handy, but how trust worthy is it? It would have to updated on a regular basis. Twice a year would be great. A person could really get gigged if they travel a lot and relied on it. Still, for $2 I'd get it if I had an iPhone.

Nothing beats doing your own research online at each States government website.

#7 ·
Just got it, pretty cool for 2 bucks. Thanks.

#16 ·
Right2Bear is another iPhone app that lists the 50 states, their CPL laws, reciprocal lists, carry prohibited zones, etc. I don't know which app is better, but you do have a choice.

<<Now all Legal Heat needs to do is wise up and ditch their iPhone development in favor of Android and RIM BlackBerry development!>>

You mean dumb down and do so? :comeandgetsome:

ShotTimer is a great app for, um, timing shots and strings, since I got it I haven't pulled my PACT timer out of the bag. It's free, too.

#21 ·
You mean dumb down and do so? :comeandgetsome:
Having both the Motorola Droid and the iPhone 3Gs, I'll give the edge to the Droid in many areas.....except in the Apps.

I had the first iPhone a couple months after the release and the app store was very weak then. I imagine the Droids will grow with time to equal that of the iPhone, at least I hope.

One of the best features of the Droid over the iPhone, at least on Verizon, is I downloaded PDA-net (something like that) and turns my phone into a modem through the wire or bluetooth. Now, I can use my Mac anywhere I am for free. The similar feature through AT&T is $50 I believe.

I love them both. If the App stores were equal, the Droid would be it. I like that i can run more than one app at a time on the Droid also, plus the screen is amazing. I hate the slide out QWERTY though.

What are ya gonna do.... I'm always using my wife's phone. I may reconnect my iPhone and call it a work phone, just to have both.. I HATE options!

#20 ·
Sounds good. Have you downloaded the shot timer yet? It was around $20 and I loved it. I have it downloaded on my wife's now since I switched to the Motorola Droid. They have two shot timers in their App store. One is free and one is $2, I think. The one for the iPhone is definitely worth $18 to $20 more than the versions for Droid.

Right2Bear is the similar Droid app for $3, but I don't believe it covers open carry. Maybe they'll have an update. CCW-USA is he $2 version, but not sure how it compares.

Gotta love these phones.

#22 ·
Another kewel App for the iPhone is GunConceal. The pay-App is (I think) $2.99 and covers quite a bit of information for each state, as well as Washington D.C. I got it back in March and it's already had one update since there. All of the information it contains for Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky are up-to-date, as I live in Arkansas and have family in Missouri - and plan to travel to Kentucky via Tennessee - so have scoped out each the official information for each state's sites.

I'll have to check out these other App's, as well. Thanks for the headsup on those!

#34 ·
Another kewel App for the iPhone is GunConceal. The pay-App is (I think) $2.99 and covers quite a bit of information for each state, as well as Washington D.C. I got it back in March and it's already had one update since there. All of the information it contains for Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky are up-to-date, as I live in Arkansas and have family in Missouri - and plan to travel to Kentucky via Tennessee - so have scoped out each the official information for each state's sites.

I'll have to check out these other App's, as well. Thanks for the headsup on those!

Based on a couple of comments on the other app not being up to date, I just downloaded this one and it looks good. The information for TN seems to be accurate just from a quick look. I think I'm going to like having this available on the IPhone a lot!

#23 ·
Here is the update as promised. This is the response I received from Legal Heat:

Kurt,
We've been getting a lot of requests to do the app on other platforms and it is absolutely something we would love to do, and that we plan on doing, the only problem is when. The app has been doing very well on iPhone and we've been able to make several huge improvements as a result. Thus far we've been putting 100% of the money made back into its development and we will continue to do this until it reaches a point where we feel we've got a final product. It is at that point that we will offer it on other platforms. What we want to avoid is the growing pains associated with improving the app. Once we have a complete product that has been tried and tested on the iPhone we will open it up to all platforms.
I really appreciate your interest and support and wish I could offer some sort of timeline. I can promise you that it will be worth the wait.
Thank you and if there is anything I can do to help in the future please let me know.
Phil

So, those of us non-iPhone users will just have to wait a bit.

#24 ·
Thanks for the info

#25 ·
I purchased Legal Heat (you have to go w/it as two words in an App Store search for it to pull up) this evening - about 45 minutes ago, as a matter of fact. I immediately noticed that the information for Arkansas wasn't fully accurate, as they didn't have Wyoming listed for reciprocity. So, I used the option to make suggestions and let them know. I received a response in about 20 minutes! It was Phil who replied via email, as well, and said they'd make that a change in the next update.

Most impressive!

#32 ·
I was impressed too at first.I noticed some omissions from my state SC, such as they don't lists restaurants that serve alcohol in their prohibited places and did not list information about being able to carry in glove compartment or center console without permit and I contacted them I also received a rapid response but so far no changes in the app and that was several months ago.

#29 ·
It's the XD-40sc. Heckuva gun, imo. I was just adding that info to my sig and avatar. ;)

#30 ·
While checking out the apps mentioned here I found another interesting one thought I would share called MiGuns.

It is a database for gun inventory App. Im now thinking of trying it out

#33 ·
Not sure it would convince a rookie LEO, but they might call their Supervisor to verify...

Otherwise, great app for info!

Wonderful find.

:smoke23:

#35 ·
Thanks for this thread! I'm going to download this here as soon as my itunes updates.

Until seeing this thread, I've just been using the iphone net to go to handgunlaw.us and check things through there (no possible if I'm in a dead zone); this now will be first line, and will be able to confirm with handgunlaw.us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.