Starting Into My Second Week of Carrying Concealed

This is a discussion on Starting Into My Second Week of Carrying Concealed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting my second week of carrying my little Glock 33 concealed. It's already starting to become routine; getting my Glock out of it's night ...

Thread: Starting Into My Second Week of Carrying Concealed

Starting Into My Second Week of Carrying Concealed

I'm starting my second week of carrying my little Glock 33 concealed.

It's already starting to become routine; getting my Glock out of it's night time "bed", into the holster and the holster on my hip.

I am adjusting the position of my holster and pistol less than at first unless my pants sag.

I have started to "dress" for carrying my pistol, untucking my summer polo shirts or t-shirts to cover my IWB holster. I make sure I cover/adjust the shirt over my pistol when getting out of a car too ,without "flashing" of course.

I find that I have an increased "awareness" of my surroundings and how the people around me are acting.

I ALWAYS check for a charged magazine and that I have a round in the chamber before holstering.

I have made it routine to practice drawing my Glock from my holster with the shirt that I wore that day over it. It is of course "cleared" before I start practicing.

All in all it's a nice feeling to be safer when I go out and walking around stores, etc. are feeling more comfortable, I am not worrying as much about being "busted".

That's all for now, Peace Out!
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

2. Remove Ads

It all sounds good, DS. Practice IS the key. Practice drawing, and practice carrying, too. Here are some suggestions I've found useful - you already know some of them:

At first, you'll be sure everyone can see the outline of
    your weapon and that every movement flashes it.

You will KNOW everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"

The more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it.

If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.

You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.

You will lean to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.

You will gradually stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.

You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.

You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.

You will learn to reach overhead with your weak hand.

You will learn to give a little added clearance to your strong side.

In short, you will learn.

Carry in Peace

Yesterday was my first day CC'ing. I found myself feeling a bit self-conscious, especially while I was in line at the bank. It felt kind of weird being in a bank with a gun, even though I know I'm the good guy. I was MUCH more aware of my surroundings and what people around me were doing. I was also more aware of what I was doing and how I moved and positioned myself throughout the day.

I concealed carry for the first time last Saturday, got my permit last week. Yes it takes getting use to and can't wait till I save some cash and get a smaller 45, the XD45 tactical is a little big. By the end of the day I was feeling much more comfortable and my movements to remain concealed came more naturally. I'm unable to carry during the week because of my job. My boss doesn't care, he also carries but the jobs we work (gold mines) don't allow firearms on their property.

GM
    Congratulations to all new CCWers . Glad you enjoy it!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Also, try finding a tuckable holster. MTAC or SuperTuck are at the top, there are a few others. This way you can easily tuck your shirt in. I wear a lot of polos and khakis for work, and they look sloppy if I untuck my shirt.
    Knowing is half the battle.

CCW will be second nature to you in no time. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    All in all it's a nice feeling to be safer when I go out and walking around stores, etc. are feeling more comfortable, I am not worrying as much about being "busted".

That's all for now, Peace Out!
    Good going! I remember back when I first started to carry the first few days felt strange but as in your case it quickly became a matter of routine.

When you draw it out of the holster to put it back into its "bed" draw like you will fight (in a safe direction). That way you get 365 guaranteed draws per year to build muscle memory.
    Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.

How can you praise freedom, and condemn that which gains and preserves it?

Today was my third work day carrying and the first that I carried with a round in the chamber. I was at first very nervous and paranoid that I was printing and was very conscious of how I moved. I figured carrying at work would be good since I work for a small and CCW-friendly company so I wouldn't freak anyone out. Today I found that my gun was more comfortable and I felt for the first time like it belongs there.

BTW, no one at work could tell I was carrying.

Thanks all! As far as being comfortable I have a superTuck and matching belt ordered. I'm carrying now with a DeSantis IWB now.

Regards to all!
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

The Supertuck is excellent, that's what I've been carrying in, in fact I'm wearing it now

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    It all sounds good, DS. Practice IS the key. Practice drawing, and practice carrying, too. Here are some suggestions I've found useful - you already know some of them:

At first, you'll be sure everyone can see the outline of
    your weapon and that every movement flashes it.

You will KNOW everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"

The more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it.

If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.

You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.

You will lean to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.

You will gradually stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.

You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.

You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.

You will learn to reach overhead with your weak hand.

You will learn to give a little added clearance to your strong side.

In short, you will learn.

Carry in Peace
    You will learn that you should have purchased a Glock, not because they are great weapons (which they are), but because they all look alike...the wife won't even know a second one is around.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 6th, 2010 at 06:37 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links