Just had a horrid thought.

Just had a horrid thought.

This is a discussion on Just had a horrid thought. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it possible that BG's actually lurk on sites like this one to learn? With what I've learned in the last several months just reading/discussing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Just had a horrid thought.

Is it possible that BG's actually lurk on sites like this one to learn?
    With what I've learned in the last several months just reading/discussing here, could a BG also use the knowledge to improve his "professional skill set" in much the same way shows like CSI have taught them the basics of forensics? (ie: gloves to thwart finger prints, masks to obscure facial recognition, etc.)

Would a BG Lurker also learn which methods are effective?
    Which "tools" of the trade are junk? (cheap junk firearms)
    Which states have restrictive gun laws and easy courts?

Just some questions I have, hoping to spark some debate.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Wow, Thats a very interresting question. It's my opinion that most bad guys are unintelligent opportunists, but there are a few pros out there. I look forward to reading responses from other members.

Oh, BTW, if you are one of the pros I refer to identify yourself!

Well, one thing they can learn is there is one house in Newark, DE someplace that they want to avoid. There will be three people shooting at them from three different directions.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The short answer: Yes they can.
    But, I'd be suprised if many do.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    I think you may be giving the average goblin way too much credit?

If you do the math, the risk/reward ROI for robbing/assaulting people is lousy. Most intelligent folks come to this conclusion. The ones that can't are the dirtbags doing it. I doubt that they are the studious type. However, even if they are studying tactics on this board for the purpose of honing their craft, I would think that credentials of many members here may dissuade them from attacking what appears to be an 'average Joe/Jill'.

They probably do but they should know that everybody on this site is well armed!!!!
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, one thing they can learn is there is one house in Newark, DE someplace that they want to avoid. There will be three people shooting at them from three different directions.
    Lol...so now they know to duck and two of you shoot yourselves?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    can't rule out the possibility but I seriously doubt it....
    Like was said before most BG who attack people are opportunists.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    They already get a good lesson from their peers while in jail.

I was under the impression that the BGs attended graduate school in prison.

i've thought about that before...

i think the person would have to be a ' pro ' at being a bad guy.

and there arent that many 'pros ' out there.

because lurking and learning this stuff takes alot of dedication and time to really keep up with things and understand it. some certain things are easy to pick up on esp when u provide pictures of you selves wearing IWB holsters, pocket holsters. etc etc

Well sure it's possible. Nothing you can do about that.

Sure they can learn a lot of tactics, however reading a lot of stuff will only get you so far unless you train and practice.

I'm not particularly worried about it. I've got no illusions I'm going to be the one who wins a gunfight. But the bad guy's need to beware because I have trained and studied for decades and possess the mindset that I will be the victor. I do my best to stack the odds in my favor and I am competent in my skills and abilities. I rely on my street smarts and situational awareness to ensure I am not ambushed and that I can avoid potential problems before it happens. I carry myself in such a way that I believe I won't be targeted as an easy mark.

However, I never underestimate my enemy. I'm under no illusions that the bad guy won't be as well trained or better than I am. And I understand that an idiot with a single digit IQ can kill me just as easily as I can kill him if he gets the best of me. I never discount anyone because I think they are stupid.

I have watched a lot of closed circuit prison video of convicts fighting and training for encounters with LEO's on the street or potential victims. One thing I find is that they are ruthless and attack in the blink of an eye. They also tend to favor a blitz attack. At least they do when they fight against other inmates. Often times when they shank someone, the person gets stabbed 15 or 20 times in a matter of 4 or 5 seconds then they walk away leaving them to bleed out on the ground and stunned from the blitz attack. Often times they feign compliance or present themselves as a non-threat and then suddenly and without warning hit you with the blitz attack when you are off your guard.

So, while it is certainly possible for a bad guy to lurk here on forums like this, I have also done my homework and studied their methods as well.

I recommend others to do the same.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I thought many criminals refer to prison as going to school and their first sentence in a penitentiary as proof that they are ready for bigger things. Maybe I was misinformed.

At any rate, I am not sure how knowledge of the many things discussed on this site would give them any tactical advantage against us. If anything it would just help them realize that there are many who are serious about defending themselves and their families. Perhaps I am wrong but I cannot see much of our discussions being of value to the criminal opportunist. Just my $0.02
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Among the corps of bad guys there is always a small fraction who are determined and who take tools and tactics seriously. Historically, Dillinger and his gang were particular about their weapons and had some customized to suit their needs. They also practiced regularly. More recently, Maddox & Platt of the Miami Shootout were (I believe) both ex-military who were highly aware of combat tactics and who also practiced a lot with their weapons. Guys like them get information wherever it's available, which today might include forums such as this one.

Fortunately, the overwhelming population of BGs seem indeed to be opportunists who may be crafty but don't "study" the use of weapons. I doubt there would be any interested enough or literate enough to spend any time here. Too much text, not enough pictures.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Fortunately, the overwhelming population of BGs seem indeed to be opportunists who may be crafty but don't "study" the use of weapons. I doubt there would be any interested enough or literate enough to spend any time here. Too much text, not enough pictures.
    I tend to agree with this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links