Seeing the light (dimly)

This is a discussion on Seeing the light (dimly) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The older of my younger brothers and his wife have a "gun free" home. To me that's a little like an "insurance free" home, but ...

Thread: Seeing the light (dimly)

Seeing the light (dimly)

The older of my younger brothers and his wife have a "gun free" home. To me that's a little like an "insurance free" home, but hey, it's their home, not mine.

A couple years ago, he came out with his kids (left the wife at home) to Colorado and I took them camping along with my kids in the back country. Out there, you are your own 911. We were two hours of off-roading from the nearest cell signal. We had extra food and water, basic first aid supplies (I'm a former EMT), satellite phone, 2 GPS, paper map, 2 compasses....and my 4" S&W 629. I'm a contingency planner, what can I say. Yes, we were camping out of a pair of Jeeps, not backpacking.

Since his kids had no introduction to gun safety, when we got there (I had it concealed to this point), I showed them my 4" 629, let them touch it (unloaded) and talked with them about how they shouldn't touch it without asking and that they can ask any time they are curious. I explained that it was very unlikely we'd have any kind of a problem where I would need it, but that I had it, just in case, to keep them safe from angry animals, or anything else that might threaten them.

My brother's six-year-old daughter immediately turned to him with a little concern and said, "How come we don't have a gun?" I loved it! Bright girl.

Fast forward a year and he was bringing his whole family to Colorado to camp, this time on his own. He asked if he could borrow a gun. I gave him pepper spray. If he had taken a safety class or had some experience, I'd be happy to, but I'm not going to hand even my brother a gun when he has no safety knowledge and I'm not there to supervise.

By the way, when he went up on his own, a black bear ripped into a plastic storage bin he had attatched to the back of his SUV to get at the almost-clean pots and pans. There was no food there, just food smell. Those bears can smell a berry bush from three miles away. When you're out there, they know where (but usually want to avoid you) and exactly what you've brought to eat.

Personally, I think he should get himself a nice GP100. It's a great learning platform, easy to practice with or shoot for fun in the woods (I hate picking up brass from autos in the rocks and I NEVER litter, so I don't shoot them out there), and excellent for critter defense (158gr JHP, 180-200gr SP, 180gr LFPHC), as long as you're not looking at a big grizzly which they say we don't have here.

It annoyed him a little that I wouldn't give him a gun, though he understood and respected my rational. He complained to our youngest brother that if everyone was as committed to safety, responsibility, shooting skills and carrying as I was, the world would be a, safer place.

Perhaps a light is beginning to shine in the wilderness.

In July, he's taking his kids to Jackson Hole, WY. I'll see if I can't convince him to take NRA Basic Pistol. Then I could lend him my .44mag. Up there, I'd probably wear my .454, but a 4" .44 mag will be enough of a handful for a new shooter.

2. Remove Ads

You've done well... you're a good older brother, setting a fine example.

Hopefully his bear incident will be the motivation he needs to take actions toward responsibility for his own safety, and that of his family.

And keep an eye on that 6-year old niece! You do have a Single-Six or a Model 63 to share some fun with her, don't you?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Give your niece a gold star! While you're at it, give yourself one as well!

Hopefully you will get more opportunities to give her and her sibling(s) more training in the safe use of guns as they grow up.

Nice job! What does his wife think of all this?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Why do you require him to take an NRA class? Why don't you instruct him on safety and go shooting with him...they way things used to be done. You are the older brother and the one who understands this subject, take him under your wing and teach him. Just because someone comes through a NRA class doesn't mean they are good to go.

He ultimately needs to get his own gun and start thinking of the "bears out there" for himself.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Why do you require him to take an NRA class? Why don't you instruct him on safety and go shooting with him...they way things used to be done. You are the older brother and the one who understands this subject, take him under your wing and teach him. Just because someone comes through a NRA class doesn't mean they are good to go.

He ultimately needs to get his own gun and start thinking of the "bears out there" for himself.

Agreed 100%. My old man taught me how to shoot when I was a kid and I could've showed my NRA pistol class instructor a thing or two. Not all of these guys should be teaching a class, theres a few that are just out for some extra cash.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Why not tell him that if he took the course you would be willing to pay for it. If he does and you can swing it maybe a good GP100 or similar would make a great Birthday or Christmas gift.

I would love to teach him, but he lives in Kansas City and I live in Denver. We're rarely together that long. If we are, there's some family event bringing us together and disappearing to the range isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    And keep an eye on that 6-year old niece! You do have a Single-Six or a Model 63 to share some fun with her, don't you?
    I have a 4 inch .22lr S&W model 17. It was my grandfather's gun. I'm using it to teach my son, though mostly he's still on his single shot, bolt action, youth sized rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Give your niece a gold star! While you're at it, give yourself one as well!

Hopefully you will get more opportunities to give her and her sibling(s) more training in the safe use of guns as they grow up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEp^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Why not tell him that if he took the course you would be willing to pay for it. If he does and you can swing it maybe a good GP100 or similar would make a great Birthday or Christmas gift.
    He makes triple what I do. The money isn't an issue. It's simply a matter of seeing the value or necessity of it. Besides, if I'm going to buy a GP100, I'm keeping it. It's the next gun on my list. I sold my 686 many years ago and miss having a .357.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    What does his wife think of all this?
    She still wants a gun free home, but it seems reasonable to her that we had it in the woods.

She gives me no crap about carrying, though I avoid carrying in her house. It is, after all, her home. I respect her wishes there.

She didn't mind me holstering back up to leave after we stayed with them one time.

Since he lives far away, I would do the research of when and where the courses are and send him the information. Paying for him to go would be a great gesture if you so choose.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Links