Finally got pulled over while carrying

This is a discussion on Finally got pulled over while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off it was totally my fault...I was doing 66 in a 50 zone and just not paying attention. As I passed the Sheriff's deputy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First off it was totally my fault...I was doing 66 in a 50 zone and just not paying attention. As I passed the Sheriff's deputy going the other way I automatically looked at my speedometer and got the feeling.
    The LEO flipped right around and got on my tail, so I just pulled over. I knew what was coming, and it was no use pretending other wise.

The LEO came up and read the scrip...introduction & ID, why I was pulled over, are the kids in car seats, paper work request. (Now in Idaho we don't have to inform the LEO that we are carrying & I did not.)

After he came back from running my DL/ registration/ insurance he comes back and asked if I had any weapons in the car cause my CC permit came up when he ran the DL (DL number and CC number are the same). So I give him the list and location and offer to retrieve my CC permit if he would like me to...my hands were resting on the steering wheel the whole time with my wallet in my hand, so no reaching anywhere for the permit...he kinda stopped and gave me a funny look and said don't worry about it, slow down, and have a good night.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

He did well, so did you. thats how I handled about 90% of my calls/stops when I was on the PD.

Wow, that went great. Glad to hear it.

The first time that it happended to me, was because of my driving, the policeman coming up to the car and reminding me that I was supposed to tell him that I had a gun inside my car. Despite this being covered in my recent CCW class, I had forgotten it, not used to legally carrying a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    The first time that it happended to me, was because of my driving, the policeman coming up to the car and reminding me that I was supposed to tell him that I had a gun inside my car. Despite this being covered in my recent CCW class, I had forgotten it, not used to legally carrying a firearm.
    That is required in Ohio?! Glad I live out here then...

In my CFP class we talked about it, and a LEO (who's wife was taking the course) not only said that we have zero obligation to state that we are currently carrying unless a LEO specifically asks about a weapon or our permit, but he didn't want CC'ers to be too forthcoming about it. In most (or all?) states your CFP will show up when they query your license, they'll find out that way.

I think the OP did the right thing, at least if it were in Utah. Answer the LEO if he asks, present your permit if he asks, and never reach for it.

Some in our class though felt that it would always be best to present your CFP along with your license. He stated that it just wasn't necessary.

i know i have heard of stories in ny people want to tell the leo thay have a gun to steer them away from what they pulled them over in the first place. honesty is the best way to gain respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis View Post
    That is required in Ohio?! Glad I live out here then...

In my CFP class we talked about it, and a LEO (who's wife was taking the course) not only said that we have zero obligation to state that we are currently carrying unless a LEO specifically asks about a weapon or our permit...

I think the OP did the right thing, at least if it were in Utah.
    Cite?

I understand that we need not inform in Utah, but why would one be obligated to tell the officer if he asked?

I am not suggesting that it is a good or bad idea to respond if asked, but are you saying that he told you it was required?
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

No, no. I can see where that comes across since my phrasing did not exclude it. I am stating that you have no obligation before they should ask you. When and if they should ask you if you are carrying, I understand that you still you don't have to, but it may raise suspicion in the LEO's mind about your intentions if you chose to decline such an inquiry.

I bring this up as many people I've run into feel that it will put the officer at ease for you to bring up the topic before they do.

My personal opinion and feeling are summed up here, "Answer the LEO if he asks, present your permit if he asks, and never reach for [your firearm]."

Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis View Post
    In most (or all?) states your CFP will show up when they query your license, they'll find out that way.
    Definitely not all states, and I would even question "most."

It would be informational and possibly helpful to compile a list of states in which a driver's license query by law enforcement returns a CCW. Is anyone aware of such a list?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Definitely not all states, and I would even question "most."

It would be informational and possibly helpful to compile a list of states in which a driver's license query by law enforcement returns a CCW. Is anyone aware of such a list?
    I was under the impression that most states are trying to combine and simplify their driver's license databases with other State-based systems. I apologize if my assumption is incorrect.
    Last edited by Kortanis; May 5th, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
    XD-40sc w/Fed HST My father taught me to always use the right tool for the job.
    ---
    A Vespa motor scooter is a motor vehicle, but it's a poor excuse for a family car.
    A .22 or a .25 is a firearm, but it's a poor excuse for defense. -- Massad Ayoob

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice to hear he gave you a break. FL is a "no notify" state, and a CC permit doesn't come up on a routine traffic check.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good stop by a good LEO
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Yep its true, here in Ohio we are "must notify"

GM
    Glad that everything ended well!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

A confident, and common sense LEO...nice stop! No ticket...real nice!
    Go buy that lottery ticket, it's definitely your day...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links