Chicago suburbs and a pistol in my car and hotel room - Page 2

Chicago suburbs and a pistol in my car and hotel room

This is a discussion on Chicago suburbs and a pistol in my car and hotel room within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Nino Brown Isn't Chicago gang violence on the rise? The number of murders in the past few years is on the rise. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago suburbs and a pistol in my car and hotel room

Quote Originally Posted by Nino Brown View Post
    Isn't Chicago gang violence on the rise? The number of murders in the past few years is on the rise. I have some family there, but I won't be making that trip anytime soon with all those restrictions.
    ALL violence in Chicago is on the rise. It seems that at any large public gathering, there will be shootings. "Taste of Chicago" is now "Taste of Gang Violence".

You will NOT be protected there, nor will you be allowed to protect yourself. You are expected to be a victim of whoever wants to make you one.

I was there about three weeks ago for a funeral. I go there as seldom as possible and recommend that others do likewise.

SCOTUS however is currently considering Chicago (and by extension many other places') gun laws. Stay tuned for probably late June...

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I haven't been to Chicago in more than 15 years even though I was born and raised there. I have friends and relatives who still live in Illinois and I still travel to many suburbs and still own a house in central Illinois near Springfield.
    My son was a hockey player and we used to go to tournaments at rinks in the suburbs you mentioned. None of them are located in bad areas so I wouldn't take the risk of getting caught carrying illegally. If you have a valid CC permit or license from your home state, you can use it in place of a FOID card to purchase guns or ammo in most places in IL. (not Chicago) Last summer I purchased a Mossberg 500 and lots of ammo without a problem. Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I haven't been to Chicago in more than 15 years even though I was born and raised there. I have friends and relatives who still live in Illinois and I still travel to many suburbs and still own a house in central Illinois near Springfield.
    My son was a hockey player and we used to go to tournaments at rinks in the suburbs you mentioned. None of them are located in bad areas so I wouldn't take the risk of getting caught carrying illegally. If you have a valid CC permit or license from your home state, you can use it in place of a FOID card to purchase guns or ammo in most places in IL. (not Chicago) Last summer I purchased a Mossberg 500 and lots of ammo without a problem. Stay safe!
    There is no such thing as good and bad areas crime happens everywhere in some places more than others but still it happens everywhere. I will NOT go anywhere that I cannot protect my family and my self. That includes our beloved NRA banquet in Charlotte NC where I am not allowed to carry.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Bowhunter200
    "So tell me if I would be wrong here. As long as I keep my handgun in my locked container in my car or in my hotel room, in these areas, I would be legal?"
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrx66 View Post
    You are correct and as ispcapt pointed out, unloaded.
    And why exactly would this scenario make you feel
    you were somehow better off than not having a gun?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Quote: Originally Posted by Bowhunter200
    "So tell me if I would be wrong here. As long as I keep my handgun in my locked container in my car or in my hotel room, in these areas, I would be legal?"

And why exactly would this scenario make you feel
    you were somehow better off than not having a gun?
    Easy. Because it is better than no gun at all. I can get into my case and be ready in less that 5 seconds. Yes, I might be dead, but I will least maybe have a chance.

I called the Chicago Police and talked with two police in charge of the gun registering and both of them said I can have it as long as it is in the case, unloaded, both in my car and hotel.

I emailed the Chicago Police and and they emailed me back that the gun has to be broken down in non functioning state, in a case and no, I can't take it inside my hotel room.

Same police department with two different answers. Figures.

I do have the name and # of the two that said it was ok.

You could ask 10 different Illinois cops about gun laws, and you would get 11 different answers. Sadly, the police around here tend to state opinion instead of law.

Quote Originally Posted by billzfx4 View Post
    You could ask 10 different Illinois cops about gun laws, and you would get 11 different answers. Sadly, the police around here tend to state opinion instead of law.
    It's hardly confined to Illinois. I've had Ohio cops ludicrously misstate Ohio law to me.

Given the large number of erroneous statements of law by LEOs, including false arrests, I wouldn't take a cop's word on the law, especially firearms law.

If you want a RELIABLE explanation of firearms law, ask a criminal lawyer.

If you want a RELIABLE explanation of firearms law, ask a criminal lawyer.
    Don't think for a second that you'll get a reliable answer either by going to an attorney. I've worked closely with attorneys for over 40 years while a LEO and spent some time after my LEO retirement doing continuing legal education for attorneys. If you think you can ask 10 cops and get 11 answers then you've never sat in a room with attorneys and discussed the law and court rulings. If you ask 10 attorneys you'll get 100 different answers.
    The one thing is absolutely certain tho is don't ask someone who has never worked in the legal system, couldn't find a statute if given the statute number and the book, nor ever heard of a single court ruling.
    183 FBINA

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter200 View Post
    So tell me if I would be wrong here. As long as I keep my handgun in my locked container in my car or in my hotel room, in these areas, I would be legal?
    The container does NOT have to be locked. It just has to be fastened shut in some way. A zippered soft case or a hard case with plastic latches are just fine, as long as the firearm is completely enclosed and no ammunition is in the weapon.

Ammo also does not have to be separate from the gun. In loaded mags in the same container as the gun is just fine. I've had people in this state tell me that you cannot have loaded mags in the case with the gun, a range officer at the Gurnee Bass Pro Shop told me that it wasn't legal. This was confirmed false by a call to the Gurnee PD along with multiple calls to different officers in different counties as well.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

How can I legally transport or possess ammunition?
    Illinois law requires residents possessing ammunition
    have a valid FOID card. The location of ammunition
    being transported, including ammunition being
    transported in loaded magazines, is not regulated if the
    firearm is possessed or transported lawfully.
    (This means if you are legal to own and transport ammo in your home state, you are legal to do so here. The FOID does not apply to non residents.)
    Is It legal to have ammunition in the
    case with The firearm?
    Yes, as long as the firearm is unloaded and properly
    enclosed in a case."
    Residents must have a FOID, if you are not a resident but can legally obtain and own ammo in your home state you are fine.
    Last edited by RXtion; May 8th, 2010 at 04:36 AM.

So why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter200 View Post
    So tell me if I would be wrong here. As long as I keep my handgun in my locked container in my car or in my hotel room, in these areas, I would be legal?
    Hard for most of us to understand this nonsense. Keep it locked, ammunition in a separate location at least 2 zip codes away, firearm field stripped and covered in rust.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    Hard for most of us to understand this nonsense. Keep it locked, ammunition in a separate location at least 2 zip codes away, firearm field stripped and covered in rust.
    It sure is, and you haven't made it any better with your contribution of nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    Don't think for a second that you'll get a reliable answer either by going to an attorney. I've worked closely with attorneys for over 40 years while a LEO and spent some time after my LEO retirement doing continuing legal education for attorneys. If you think you can ask 10 cops and get 11 answers then you've never sat in a room with attorneys and discussed the law and court rulings. If you ask 10 attorneys you'll get 100 different answers.
    The one thing is absolutely certain tho is don't ask someone who has never worked in the legal system, couldn't find a statute if given the statute number and the book, nor ever heard of a single court ruling.
    The difference is that (especially if money changes hands) if the lawyer gives you bad information, that's malpractice and or ineffective counsel. If the cop gives you bad information, that's you asking the wrong person.

I'm fortunate enough to have a lawyer who knows the law, or if he doesn't will find out. And I tell him about Ohio CCW law related issues when I hear of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    The difference is that (especially if money changes hands) if the lawyer gives you bad information, that's malpractice and or ineffective counsel. .
    Not at all. You have no recourse. It would be no different than when going to trial and your attorney does an ineffective job and you lose. You still lose. You selected that particular attorney, you paid for him, you listened to him, you still lose. That has been upheld by the courts for decades. You can go to 10 different attorneys and get the 100 different answers. If you happen to choose the one who gives the wrong answer that's just your tough luck. At best, the only recourse would be to file a complaint with ARDC and then you have to show that what the attorney did was grossly incompetent. Good luck trying to prove that.
    And just which attorney gives you the wrong answer? Is it the one who gives you the answer you don't agree with? That's usually the situation.
    If your attorney is so good then ask him what happens if he gives you the wrong advice. Ask him if you can sue and prevail. Don't just ask if you can sue. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Make sure you specify "and prevail". You might be surprised by the answer.
    And the other person who you definitely don't ask for advice is the likes of who usually run wild on these kinds of boards. It's the guy who has no clue about the law, has never read the law, wouldn't know where to go to find the statute, doesn't know a single thing about prior case rulings and how those rulings apply to the statutes, yet they're the first ones to spout off something they either think is the law or what they've heard their equally as ignorant gun store commando buddies repeat.
    183 FBINA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links