Chicago suburbs and a pistol in my car and hotel room

This is a discussion on Chicago suburbs and a pistol in my car and hotel room within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am going to Elmhurst, Lincolnshire, and surrounding areas for a hockey tournament. Where, exactly, can't I have a pistol, around Chicago, in my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago suburbs and a pistol in my car and hotel room

Chicago suburbs and a pistol in my car and hotel room

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am going to Elmhurst, Lincolnshire, and surrounding areas for a hockey tournament. Where, exactly, can't I have a pistol, around Chicago, in my car or hotel room?

2. Remove Ads

Check out the link below or better yet consult a lawyer in the People's Republic of Illinois. As far as I can tell you can't carry a handgun anywhere in the PRI.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

I have friends in Waukeegan and they hide their guns in their own homes. IL is a please dont shoot me state.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Illinois Carry Guide - ICarry.org

In the car and public it's unloaded and encased. In the hotel room you should be just fine to take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter200 View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am going to Elmhurst, Lincolnshire, and surrounding areas for a hockey tournament. Where, exactly, can't I have a pistol, around Chicago, in my car or hotel room?
    Pretty much the entire state of IL....

Since you're not a resident, you can't have a Firearms Owner's ID Card (commonly referred to as a FOID)...

But *I think*...you can transport it unloaded and locked in a container....separate from ammo (because, apparently, in IL, if the ammo and the gun touch, the gun will load itself and go on a shooting spree)

I know you can't avoid it in this case......but this is one of the primary reasons I will never go back to IL...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If a person is going to/from Illinois, would it not be more difficult to claim one was merely passing through and be afforded the minimal protections of the Firearm Owners Protection Act?

If a person is going to/from Illinois, would it not be more difficult to claim one was merely passing through and be afforded the minimal protections of the Firearm Owners Protection Act?
    Not "more difficult", IMPOSSIBLE.

FOPA is intended to protect direct travel THROUGH a restrictive jurisdiction where having the firearm(s) would be lawful at both the origin and destination. Since Illinois is the destination, FOPA does not apply.

The last I remember, there were some cities that prohibit handguns (maybe all guns by now) including Chicago, Morton Grove and Oak Park. There may be more and how the "traveling through" would apply when you're visiting the state for a tournament, is something I don't remember. At the very least, you need to have any handgun cased and unloaded while in the car, but I wouldn't even want to risk that in any of the mentioned cities. Maybe ISPCAPT can give us more specific information.

To legally transport a firearm in IL it has to be unloaded and in a case.
    A case is defined by statute as "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed."
    The case is not required to have a lock but just some means of closure as defined above.
    Ammo can be stored in the same case as the firearm however there is nothing in IL law that requires ammo to be in any case. Mags can be loaded and also carried in the same case as the firearm but the mag cannot be inserted into the firearm. Empty mags can be inserted in the firearm.
    Since you are not an IL resident you do not need a FOID card.
    Some municipalities have local ordinances that are more restrictive than state law. You can go to this webpage and look up any of the municipalities where you might be traveling...
    Municipal Ordinances Relating To Firearms Public Act 92-0238
    Most of those municipalities have passed ordinances which apply to dealers and are zoning type ordinances regulating businesses in homes, etc, and have no bearing on the individual. Some municipalities listed have passed ordinances which mirror state law. The reason for them doing that is if they get someone violating a particular law they can charge them with a local ordinance instead of under state law. And there are other municipalities which have a lot stricter ordinances than state law. Just click on the city in the right hand column and it will give you their ordinance.
    183 FBINA

I do live in Illinois. I just don't know about the laws in Chicago.

I do live in Illinois. I just don't know about the laws in Chicago.
    Then you need a FOID which you probably already know that.
    183 FBINA

So tell me if I would be wrong here. As long as I keep my handgun in my locked container in my car or in my hotel room, in these areas, I would be legal?

So tell me if I would be wrong here. As long as I keep my handgun in my locked container in my car or in my hotel room, in these areas, I would be legal?
    You are correct and as ispcapt pointed out, unloaded.

Just don't stop in Chicago. IANAL, but my understanding (after having lived in Chicago and the surrounding burbs for the last 36 years) is that you may pass through Chicago with a handgun in your vehicle (unloaded and encased) but no location in Chicago may be your "destination". No stopping at a museum, to eat at a restaurant, etc. You can stop for gas, because that's not a "destination", but is simply a required stop in the effort (key word being "effort") of passing through the city.

You may not carry ANYWHERE IN ILLINOIS, regardless of having a CCW permit. Having the weapon in your hotel room is okay, but I wouldn't leave it there while at your tournament. Nor would I leave it in the car, the locker room, etc.

Basically in Illinois you're expected to enter the den of wolves as a defenseless little lamb, wrapped in bacon, with a side of taters.

Isn't Chicago gang violence on the rise? The number of murders in the past few years is on the rise. I have some family there, but I won't be making that trip anytime soon with all those restrictions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links