The story of my wife and concealed carry

This is a discussion on The story of my wife and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MN2GO, she took to the G26 like a pro. She has been shooting for only a short while, but she had a very tight grouping ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The story of my wife and concealed carry

MN2GO, she took to the G26 like a pro. She has been shooting for only a short while, but she had a very tight grouping throughout the entire 300 rounds she fired that day at the range. She has smaller hands and finding a gun for her was quite a challenge, but once she picked up the glock it was love at first sight. All the best to you and your wife as well. I keep thinking that we should try to get other members from MN together for a range day or something of the like. Best wishes
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

2. Remove Ads

b1780,

You guys were lucky with that G26, perfect fit the first time. My wife loves the G26 too and really would prefer to carry it, but before the gun fits her hand there is not much we can do about it.

I'd be interested in knowing, if you don't mind, what other firearms did your wife consider?

I'd think a 1911 would be perfect for my wife, but it's a semi-auto and I know dealing with its potential problems would present a huge challenge for her at this point. A reliable self-defense gun is the priority.

Of the hundreds of matches I shot with several 1911s, I managed to finish a few without any malfunction - and these were custom guns tweaked to perfection. I'd not like to put my wife in that potential predicament. Thus, the revolver is the safest bet at this juncture for her.

A range day is a great idea.

Did they really predict slush for tomorrow?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I'm glad she decided to learn about guns and their use before the life changing incident.
    yes^^^ and that you have a wife that you know will be able to protect herself when she is not with you!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Spec, not only feel I confident that she is able to defend herself, she is capable of defending me. For example, I'd to take painkillers and could not carry (stupid MN law), but I knew that she carried her 442 to protect us both. Warm feeling.

I always consider us a team.

MN2GO, she tried a Kahr PM9 that was an absolute pile of junk. Even after trying over 500 rounds in it, of various amo brands, the darn thing would FTF every 2nd or 3rd round. This problem continued despite several trips to Kahr for service. This gun was sold quite rapidly. The next line she tried was a PT709 as this was the only thing the LGS had at the time that fit her hand. Needless to say that while this gun fit the bill regarding size, it too had problems like many taurus's are known for. These problems were not due to limp wristing by any means, as I had the same problems with both and have been shooting for over 17 years, with extensive military training. So after being throughly disgusted with problems I had her look at the glock 26. It fit the bill and was well worth the investment. I should have just bought her the darn thing right from the get go and avoided the whole headache in the process. Have you thought about the Ruger SR9C ? Perhaps this would be a good fit as well. Feel free to ask any questions. And yes, in this lovely state, they are forecasting snow in may
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Hope you and yours are forever safe and that you never have to use that training , your wife is definately a keeper.

b1780,

Thank you for your reply. We never thought about the Ruger. I just checked out its specs and I think the distance from the grip to trigger is even longer than in the G26.

I think the G26 is a great gun and my wife needs to test it thoroughly again. The S&W 442 works for her at the present, so we're in no hurry to replace it with something else. Most of the time we're together anyways, so we carry plenty of combined firepower.

I'm so glad that your wife got her special gun. It's really a frustrating job trying to find the perfect gun.

And, thank you for your service.

(I still have one child serving. All of mine chose to join the military.)

I can't believe the snow in May!

You're a lucky guy, I wish my wife shared that same interest. She has her permit, a couple of guns at her disposal, but she is not really into carrying.
    You DO realize that your gun collection is now hers?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

madplmber,

Thank you for your kind words.

I'd be a happy man leaving this life without being forced to shoot anyone, that is for sure. I'm certain my wife feels the same.

retsup99,

We've always shared everything, but to come to think of it, you're absolutely correct.

Well, your wife has made her decision, and that can change any minute. At least she has her permit and the tools. Good for her.

I've always felt lucky having my wife sharing the life with me. I feel bad that she had to get involved to this mess. I guess the true character of us all is revealed when the manure really hits the fan?

Thank you for your kind words.

VIP Member
    Would your wife please give my wife a telephone call?

Seriously, she carries, knows it's important, and is a good sport about it all.................but has very low interest. Actually I fully understand, there are things she's involved in that I have no interest in. One can only wish though.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Here are 3 vids of an 11 year old shooting a Glock 19 (Next size up from the G26, still in 9mm)...small hands and all..perhaps this will encourage your wife...

1. At Shooting Range #1 of #3 - McKenzie Meister

2. YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #2 of #3

3. YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #3 of #3

Check out Tactical Response ... It looks like they have a Fighting Pistol class scheduled for Racine, WI in August. Don't know how close that is to you, but might be worth checking out. Join their forums at LiveCloud and you can read up on student course reviews under the sub forum Tactical Response Course Reviews (After Action Reports).

Good luck with the wife and the G26. It is my EDC and I love it. The G19 is next on my list.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Pkkheat -- Thank you for your hilarious reply.

We all make our decisions, and the present your wife decides to carry and – this is important – be a good sport about it. This is as much as she is right now willing to invest to the issue and you both are fine with that. At least she is not against firearms and carrying – a huge positive in my books.

You hit the firing pin in the head; you both have your primary interests, as do we here in MN. My wife is more of a gardener and bird watcher; so, and I carry the manure and try to learn the difference between the song of a loon and barred owl. Her flowers look great, and I dutifully photograph each every year for her Garden DVD without distinguishing one colorful species from another.

Firearms, for some odd reason, became bigger part of our life three years ago. The way she reacted to the threat against our family was natural: going on defensive mode with all she got. I’m certain you wife would respond in kind in similar circumstances.

Like I wrote to retsup99, it’s only when the manure hits the fan that we truly reveal the real character of ourselves. I’m totally surprised by her natural reaction and dead serious dedication. I merely re-evaluated our circumstances and took the necessary steps to secure our home; in addition, followed new outdoor protocols suggested by the law enforcement. My wife went on ‘I refuse to be a victim’ mode immediately.

Her direct words after learning about us being targeted would result me being banned from this site (rule #6), but she swore first time in her life and used words to describe our opponents our government has banned from official use.

We don’t talk about guns or our situation beyond everyday demand. We take each day and it’s challenges as they come and try to plan accordingly, whether it’s a route we require to take or concern we need to address.

We’re only a few months into this new life of ours, and I think we both have adjusted well. We’re naturally more aware all the time, but the panic and being paranoid about everything subdued quickly. What remains is the life of additional SA and firearms, which include more mental and physical training.

My wife knows that she may be forced to stop an attacker, and she is doing her best to be prepared. She is committed to learn as much as she can about everything related to firearms and self-defense, just as she has spent her life to learn the wild flowers and songs of North American birds.

I’m impressed, surprised and in awe.

FirstSgt – Thank you for your service – and thank you for your reply.

Great videos. That young lady is very impressive. Reminds me of my daughter who went from a quiet little girl interested in arts to sky diving, diving, shooting, and finally joined the USAF.

I watched the videos a few times, and noticed the girl has long fingers. My wife’s are shorter, which makes shooting the G26 harder, because the natural grip is unattainable. She shoots it fine and really loves the gun. She told me that it’s going to be one of her goals to deal with the ‘Glock issue” this year, and I don’t doubt she will.

She has got her Beltman belt, G26 in the Turker Gun Leather OWB ‘Silent Thunder’ and she is practicing and carrying. She’d like to be more comfortable with the gun -- that is all. She can keep all her rounds in a decent group at 10 yards (usually she trains from contact to 5 to 7 yards), and she is able to empty the gun in a flash. Her draw is okay. I guess she is a bit too hard on herself.

Thanks for the links. We have plans to attend several tactical courses, one being private instruction by Gabe Suarez (his schedule is so full that we may miss a couple of days in AZ).

One of my sons is a big city cop. He spent a long time in a special unit in the army prior to the LEO career. He is part of the fugitive gang task force and an instructor in the department’s “man-made-disaster” response training. He has been training with us regularly and has scheduled a week’s worth of private tutoring for us this month. Watching my son teaching the shotgun (Benelli M4) to my wife makes me very proud and emotional. I still remember her giving birth to my son (I was there), how happy she was, and now he is teaching her how to survive.

I appreciate the well wishes. Hopefully you don’t have to wait too long for the G19.

Stay safe.

I still don’t know what triggered her interest, because she is a garden/nature/animals (dogs and birds) kind of a woman.
    Ha, you think gardening, nature loving and animal loving women don't do guns? Boy are you barking up the wrong tree. I am the gun nut in the house (I'm also the nature lover, animal lover, gardener and bird watcher).

Glad she has taken to the life-changing events by learning to take care of business. My best wishes to you, her and yours!
    3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 husband
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

Bogieb,

I'm truly sorry if I've offended any female member of this wonderful site by my attempt to briefly and inadequately describe my darling wife - my only and sincere motivation to provide a backdrop to highlight to total 180 change in her attitude and life.

I apparently failed miserably.

I could have said that she had never touched a gun (she had shot maybe 20 rounds during our ~30-year of marriage) and could not have cared less - ever, until she wanted to learn it all.

Let me elaborate the kow·towing of my mea maxima culpa: She is and has been always the partner quietly running the family (as I think is the situation in most families) with her inexhaustible supply of stamina. My respect for her is beyond description.

Bogieb, I concur. She took her 'taking care of business" experience and attitude and applied it to the new situation.

I thought sharing as much as I could about our incident on this site would be of some interest to the esteemed members. The story required that I provide some details and a description of my wife. I'm very poor at composition and any kind of communication.

I thank you for your response and, especially, your well wishes. We need all the support we can receive, and so far this community has come through 100%. I'm honored to be a member.

More important: my wife was very moved by the sympathy and praise dispensed by you all when she read your comments. Thank you all for your kind words. However, she still fails to comprehend she has done anything "extraordinary."

"What's the big deal," she commented. She is right, I'm making this a 'big' deal and she is continuing her life with the few new twists and changes, such as taking a bath with firearm, planting flowers a 442 in her gardening tool box, and cooking the G26 keeping the cookbook open. There is a loaded handgun within her reach 24/7, and she knows the shortest way to the get to the shotgun and EBRs.

I wish a perfect and safe day to all.

---------------------------------
    3 cats, two German Shepherds, one wonderful wife
    Less than 20 things that go boom.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links