The story of my wife and concealed carry

This is a discussion on The story of my wife and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very good story and similar to mine. My wife is orginally from Illinois and had been around firearms briefly. Only handgun she ever fired was ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The story of my wife and concealed carry

Very good story and similar to mine.

My wife is orginally from Illinois and had been around firearms briefly. Only handgun she ever fired was at the concrete pipe plant where she worked in the office. The owner let her shoot his .44 magnum at a sandpile one evening after work. She never fired another after that.

After we married and she moved here to WV, she announced one evening that she wanted to learn all about the handguns and rifles that I had, just in case she would ever have to use one in self defense. Like you I went over all the functions then to the range later on. Beginning with .22 all the way up to .38spl and 9mm. Simply put, she loves shooting.

I had obtained my concealed permit and she wanted hers, and she went through the class, getting her permit. After that, she picked out a Ruger LCP .380 that she is seldom without.

Tell your wife she is in good company and we know you are proud of her.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

JoJoGun,

I'm glad the firearms issue has worked out for you so well. She appears to be a great wife and loves shooting. What else can one possibly ask from life?

How reliable is that Ruger LCP .380? Has your wife had any issues with the gun?

Thank you for your kind words. I'll let her read your post herself.

You two stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    JoJoGun,

I'm glad the firearms issue has worked out for you so well. She appears to be a great wife and loves shooting. What else can one possibly ask from life?

How reliable is that Ruger LCP .380? Has your wife had any issues with the gun?

Thank you for your kind words. I'll let her read your post herself.

You two stay safe.
    Thank you too!

She really likes the LCP, it fits her smaller hand well and she's a darned good shot with it. The early models had some issues but they have worked out the bugs. Her pistol is very reliable.

Only drawback for me on the LCP is that it's just a very small pistol and I have trouble holding it when fired. It has very dark sights, but it is designed for self-defense and is a point-at-the-large-hulking target a few feet in front and pull the trigger. Also the slide doesn't lock open after firing the last one in the 6-round magazine. It's definitely not a range gun.

The beauty is concealment. It's small enough to drop in a pocket, or if you prefer, get a small in-waist-band holster like she has. It's light and you really are unaware you even have it. While some do not like the smaller .380 round, I don't think I'd like to be on the recieving end of one. If your wife has smaller hands and is recoil sensitive, the .380 may just be to her liking.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Thumbs up

Im not pleased that my wife had to resort to carrying a firearm, but Im extremely content that shes met the challenge with dedication and skills to match.
    I suppose we all could bemoan the need to guard ourselves against mischance and nefarious deeds against us, but such is life. It's a contact sport.

Glad to see that you're both taking your security seriously. Many people don't.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

MN2Go,

A suggestion, if she really wants to carry the Glock 26 but the trigger reach is a little long for her, maybe send the gun to someone that does a grip reduction.

Bowie Tactical Concepts or Robar Guns

I am sure that there are more companies that offer this customization, but these two have very good reputations.

Good Luck
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

JoJoGun – To tell you the truth, I’ve never considered the LCP, but you make it sound worth trying. One more gun to our collection is a good thing.

Yup, small guns are terrible to shoot. I posses a Beretta .25, and she is a B to shoot, hurts like hell.

We’re looking for a basic self-defense gun, and this at the least could work as a BUG. My wife has situations where the 442 is too big to carry.

My wife is fortunately not recoil sensitive. She loves to shoot our shotguns and .45s. It’s the right gun that we’ve been looking for. Now the 442 fits the bill, and we’re hoping to somehow solve the G26 issues, but this Ruger is definitely worth testing. I’ll take her tomorrow to the dealer.

Thank you for your suggestion.

ccw9mm – It’s not that I complain about my wife getting finally her carry permit, it’s the way she had to jump into it because of my profession – I “jeopardized” her life.

There is only one way to deal with a deadly threat – to take it seriously and prepare; that we did and continue doing.

Orive8 - What a wonderful suggestion. I was not aware that such modifications were possible. I need to contact those shops immediately.

Thank you very much for the information and well wishes.

--------

FYI, I checked out the Robar Guns and they appear to provide every custom job I'd imagine. I'll contact them next week and will send the G26 there for grip reduction.

Thank you again for helping us out.
    Last edited by MN2Go; May 8th, 2010 at 07:58 AM.

Hello MN2GO,
    I have enjoyed reading your post. I just wanted to tell you about my experience with the Ruger LCP. We own 2 LCPs. My wife and I are both CC permit holders. It is true that a full day at the range would not be very enjoyable with this gun. It does serve a purpose as it is very concealable in many different situations. I find it does have very good point and shoot characteristics and can also be fitted with a very small Crimson Trace laser. I find the biggest challenge right now is finding .380 ammo. The LCP could definitely be a good fit for your arsenal. I will also add that my wife and I have taken a 4 day defensive handgun class from Front Sight in Nevada, and would highly recommend it for anyone.

Thanks,
    PoPs

Hi PoPs54, thanks.

We're planning to go and purchase an LCP today, but other matters prevented.

In the meanwhile both my wife and I have been reading great reviews and articles about the Ruger, and she definitely is interested in obtaining one.

Never been to FS, but I've heard recommendations like yours and we'll keep it in our mind. We've got a plan on possible training courses, but the final plan depends on if one private instructor is available for us this summer. If not, we'll try Ayoobs, GunSite, Midwest Training Group, etc.

I did mention that one of my sons is an instructor in anti-terrorism response issues and will come to teach us for a week.

I'll appreciate your recommendations and input.

All the best to your wife and you.

Stay safe.

Awesome!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

My wife was the one who brought up getting a gun and carry permits to ME out of the blue. All I could say was "OK" and set up a trip to the store.

She now carries an LCP. It isn't a range (or long range) gun, but it disappears in a pocket and you don't notice the weight. She also has a Taurus PT111 9mm Pro, the size is good but it is bigger/heavier for daily carry.

Have you looked into an M&P 9c? The interchangeable backstraps make a big difference.

I'm still hoping for a decent weather day for shooting, I belong to a gun club down in Red Wing and trying to sight in a rifle in a 30 mph crosswind isn't fun.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Good for her!

Good for you!

She really understands the need to be prepared, and how firearms and hardening the home fit into the entire package.

I hope the situation you alluded to does not deteriorate. If it does, I wish you and her total success with all your preparations.

Zach and Holly - Thanks.

JohnK87 Youre a lucky man, John, and your wife a keeper. She seems to know exactly what she wants.

Yes, weve gone through a bunch of guns, and still, at the present my wife prefers the 442. She is going to purchase the LCP, but is eager to get her G26 customized to fit her hand.

Yup, it sucks to snow in the middle of May you betcha.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Grady Thank you very much for your encouragement and kind words.

Im amazed to learn a totally new depth of character in my wife after 30 years.

The dilemma with our circumstances is that these kinds of threats, once announced, will unfortunately never go away theyll live forever. We just have to deal with it, prepare and stay alert; and, at the same time wish the feds keep on monitoring the situation.

We appreciate your support.

Yup, small guns are terrible to shoot. I posses a Beretta .25, and she is a B to shoot, hurts like hell.

Were looking for a basic self-defense gun, and this at the least could work as a BUG. My wife has situations where the 442 is too big to carry.
    Of all the pistols that are smaller than a snubbie revolver, the only one I have ever thought was a joy to shoot was the Kahr PM9. For whatever reason, Kahr has made the recoil quite easy on the hand. Had a S&W 442 Airweight .38sp myself, and by comparison the PM9 is a pussycat to fire.

If you're having troubles finding such a gun, consider the Kahr PM9 9mm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Didn't realize you were from MN until I read this all the way through -- hopefully you're also visiting the local forums:

MNGunTalk.com • Portal
    CarryForum.com

Lots of great local contacts there :)

Enjoy - and thanks for sharing the lessons and your thoughts -
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Hi bstrawse,

Thank you for taking the time to read our story.

Yes, I'm aware of both of the forums and there are bunch of really great guys there (especially the lawyers are fantastic); however, both seem to be very inclusive clubs to put it nicely. Too much internal friction and power struggle to my liking. I used to lurk more on the old TwinCitiesCarry site, but Joel quit that.

I don't want to bash guys that are doing a lot for carry issues in MN, but both sites are scaring people away with their my way or high way attitude. No much free exchange of ides there.

You take care and stay safe.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links