The story of my wife and concealed carry - Page 4

The story of my wife and concealed carry

This is a discussion on The story of my wife and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, we went to Gander Mountain to check out the LCP. It was love at first sight; my wife wanted the Ruger. They only had ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Okay, we went to Gander Mountain to check out the LCP. It was love at first sight; my wife wanted the Ruger. They only had it in two-tone and she preferred the gun in black, so she'll get it tomorrow - $339.

She found immediately use for the LCP in certain situations and was real impressed of the compactness of the pistol and how it fit to her hand.

She will be carrying the 442 as primary (LCP as BUG) until she gets her G26 customized; i.e. backstrap reduction by the Robar.

Thank you all for your suggestions, support and well wishes.

Think about adding the laser to the LCP. Expensive, but this gun is very difficult to aim as the sights are so small.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

JohnK87,

That we'll do.

BTW, thanks for the kind invitation. I tried to respond to your PM twice, but I'm not sure if I managed to get through? Could you confirm whether or not you received our PM? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    Okay, we went to Gander Mountain to check out the LCP. It was love at first sight; my wife wanted the Ruger. They only had it in two-tone and she preferred the gun in black, so she'll get it tomorrow - $339.

She found immediately use for the LCP in certain situations and was real impressed of the compactness of the pistol and how it fit to her hand.

She will be carrying the 442 as primary (LCP as BUG) until she gets her G26 customized; i.e. backstrap reduction by the Robar.

Thank you all for your suggestions, support and well wishes.
    Good deal!

Also get the magazine extension finger things. They are inexpensive and can be installed in just a few moments. Get some spare magazines too, since they are only 6-round, you may need a few more just in case.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Good deal!

Also get the magazine extension finger things. They are inexpensive and can be installed in just a few moments. Get some spare magazines too, since they are only 6-round, you may need a few more just in case.
    That was my wife's first demand: laser and the mag extension. You're right, she needs also more magazines. It's beyond me how they sell a gun with one mag only?

She -h@ll - I was so excited that I think I ought to obtain one for myself. It's really a nice handgun and excellent BUG, I'm sure.

God, I love buying guns

Now to the hard part: a holster, several holsters in fact. I hate buying holsters.

Thanks for the suggestions.

For the LCP, I'd suggest a leather or soft pocket holster. They make a small version of the Supertuck, but I don't think it fits with the laser.

http://www.lasersightpro.com/store-products-CMTLG431-CRIMSON-TRACE-LASERGRIP-RUGER-LCP-PISTOL_1096581519.html is the one I'm getting the wife next paycheck.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

John,

I'm not going to wait for the next paycheck, her's or mine :) She wants the laser.

She bought the LCP today - $314!!!

My wife has been playing with the LCP, cleaning it up, taking it apart and just marveling all day long. She just 'had' to go shopping something -- even though we spent most day shopping already - and test-run the Ruger. Girls are girls.

I'm real impressed with the little shooter. I'm going to get me one.

Yeah, next the holster. Well, she really does not need one, because she has only one situation requiring carrying the LCP as the primary. Other than that, she'll be carrying the 442 or G26.

I saw somewhere a very nice wallet holster that might become handy. Mika's pocket holster could be something to consider, but I'm not very eager to carry in the pocket. I OC my 1911, OTW the G26 and 640, and IWB my Beretta 92 and 640.

BTW, for some odd reason my PMs don't seem to go through, so I'll confirm your offer right now and give you a call later this week.

Thanks again for a real nice gesture.

Your PM's did go through. The reason for the pocket holder is that these small pistols don't have a safety and negligent discharges can happen if you pull on the wrong thing. A simple pocket holster like this

protects the trigger, keeps it upright in your pocket, and changes the print through of your pocket so it isn't as obvious what it is in there. $15 well spent. A small holster with a belt clip is good too, for when you are out exercising or don't have a pocket.

Fantastic read, I wish you all the best. Glad whatever happened also had a positive effect. Quite honestly I wish I had her resolve!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

John,

I agree that a holster like you posted would be good for a pocket carry; Ive never used to carrying in pants pockets. Id think using the wallet holster, though, and your holster would fit the bill. I need to think this through. My wife will be carrying her LCP mainly in a fanny pack.

Great suggestions, thanks.

Harley2007,

Thank you for you well wishes.

Were trying our best to focus in on the positive, and the support were have received from Minnesotans involved and here at the DC is a testimony that were living in a greatest country in the world.

When the time comes, most of us will display the resilience and resolve. There is no alternative.

Stay safe.

Update

My wife bought the Crimson Trace laser grip for the Ruger LCP she has been practicing with daily. She ordered two holsters for it:

Hidden Ally

Hidden Ally

And

Hooker

090420082323_hooker

She has been spending increasingly more time with the G26 (today an hour of drawing, dry firing and moving in the backyard, (part of the session with the 442) and it looks like she is improving with her Glock.

Her current holster for the G26 is the OTW Silent Thunder @ 4 4.30, but she ordered also a Hooker for appendix carry that appears to agree with her best.

She carried her 442 in the Tucker IWB appendix while were shopping and taking our dogs out. I addition she reloaded 400 rounds of 9mm for the weekend.

It was a good day.

She sounds like a woman on a mission.

Unfortunately (that it was forced upon her by circumstances), it sounds like a mission to save her life.

Regardless of what drove the issue, good for her for answering the call.

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    ...so we enhanced our defense budget and bought more guns and plenty of ammo...
    *sigh*

Must be nice...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Dont mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    She sounds like a woman on a mission.

Unfortunately (that it was forced upon her by circumstances), it sounds like a mission to save her life.

Regardless of what drove the issue, good for her for answering the call.
    Grady, again we appreciate your support.

My wife is taking her 'mission' seriously, regardless of her role as a mother, wife, grandmother, professional, etc., but she never lets her guard down. Today, while gardening she was carrying her G26.

She was taking care of weeds this afternoon in the backyard, when a neighbor of ours decided to jump the fence instead of calling ahead (he is fully aware of our 'situation').

Both of our German Shepherds warned my wife with a low growl and waited for her command (they don't attack without a command), when she picket up her 12 gauge and turned toward the 'threat' ready to release the double-oughts.

She is trying very hard to live a normal life. She is trying even harder to become a very efficient with all the self-defense firearms in her possession. I hope the former prevails.

P.S. Id have mentioned that our rather large backyard is fully enclosed by a six-foot fence, with an exception of an opening for deers she wants to feed.

The story, the G26 size, and teaching your wife.

Just wanted to say what a great story!

As far as the size of the G26, have you ever thought of having someone perform a grip reduction? I think there is nothing wrong with the grips on my glocks, but a lot of people seem to be doing it.

And for the teaching your wife, that was great! But for me, i'm not the greatest spouse teacher so I sent my willing wife to a basic handgun class and she loved it. Now we go shooting together as often as we can. I hope to have her signed up for a concealed carry class in the near future also.

Chuck.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links