The story of my wife and concealed carry

This is a discussion on The story of my wife and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regarding the LCP pocket holsters: retsupt99 has described in glowing terms the one he likes from FIST , which has a thumb push-off to ensure ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The story of my wife and concealed carry

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Regarding the LCP pocket holsters: retsupt99 has described in glowing terms the one he likes from FIST, which has a thumb push-off to ensure the holster stays in the pocket. (Do an advanced search for "FIST Pocket Holster" by retsupt99 in Holsters forum: you'll find 70 hits. His basic comment may be found in Post #2, here.)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hamm128 View Post
    Just wanted to say what a great story!

As far as the size of the G26, have you ever thought of having someone perform a grip reduction? I think there is nothing wrong with the grips on my glocks, but a lot of people seem to be doing it.

And for the teaching your wife, that was great! But for me, i'm not the greatest spouse teacher so I sent my willing wife to a basic handgun class and she loved it. Now we go shooting together as often as we can. I hope to have her signed up for a concealed carry class in the near future also.

Chuck.
    Hi Chuck and thank you for your kind words.

The grip reduction issues was brought up by one of the members of this forum, and we're planning to go for it, which means purchasing yet another G26.

You're absolutely correct, husbands don't usually make the best instructors, but at the time when my wife got her bug three years ago, I thought I'd teach her the basics since I've been a firearms instructor for years.

Now that things transformed radically from learning the gun into learning how to survive, we've numerous options regarding more precise self-defense training this summer and the rest of the year by serious firearms instructors - one being my son, whose job is to teach anti-terror tactics in his department.

I'm always happy to hear a couple sharing this wonderful pastime. Shooting together only deepens any marriage. I hope your wife will eventually get her permit to be able to better defend herself if the need ever arises.

Thank you for your support and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Regarding the LCP pocket holsters: retsupt99 has described in glowing terms the one he likes from FIST, which has a thumb push-off to ensure the holster stays in the pocket. (Do an advanced search for "FIST Pocket Holster" by retsupt99 in Holsters forum: you'll find 70 hits. His basic comment may be found in Post #2, here.)
    Paymeister - thank you for your advice.

I did look into the Godfather's FIST suggestions, because he has extensive experience with the manufacturer. I'm certain that it's a great holster.

However, my wife and I don't particularly like pocket carry for some odd reason. But, we're in the middle of trying to figure out all potential needs and pocket carry is on our list of unresolved issues. The FIST will be reconsidered at that time.

We've bought way too many firearms, holsters and related stuff recently, and we need to stay focused regarding the primary issues. By the end of this summer we'd be good.

As I've mentioned before, my wife prefers appendix carry for her 442, G26 and LCP.

Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    ... our rather large backyard is fully enclosed by a six-foot fence
    Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    a neighbor of ours decided to jump the fence instead of calling ahead (he is fully aware of our 'situation').
    I don't know your neighbor, so I may be wrong... but given the totality of the situation, he sure sounds like a dumb.

I hope he learned something from this. May save his life, and your family some unneeded hassle. You've got enough on your plate right now without having to deal with a clueless neighbor.

Maybe I was harsh, but the guy needs to get a clue.

I hope the next time your dogs go on alert that your wife is fully alert also and isn't halfway expecting clueless neighbor.

Grady, it was an unfortunate incident and I’m certain it will not repeat.

What saddens me is the fact that my wife has to resort carrying a handgun while gardening and having a 12 gauge in her garden cart along with all the tools, fertilizers, plants and bulbs.

The German Shepherds of ours are really pretty good guard dogs. They ignore everything beyond our yard. They’d sit in the end of our driveway and nothing passing by would spark their interest whether it’s a dog pack, children or howling coyotes - they just observe.

They do not bark or attack.

Only if someone enters our property they go on alert letting us know with a subtle snarl. Once the perimeter - their world - is violated, the dogs attack to protect us.

We do trust them to be the first alert, because they’ve never been wrong. When they send a signal, a stranger has entered our property.

My wife learned a lesson too. Anything can happen in an instant in your own backyard while you think you’re fully prepared. We need to close that deer opening.

Being alert 24/7 is not an easy task.

Tomorrow is a range day for my wife and I thanks to a generous offer by a member of this site.

Stay safe.

I have an lcp and this is the holster I use for it this site has videos of how it works:
    http://unclegeorgeswalletholster.com...TLHolster.aspx

Your wife sounds like one hell of a lady and a very level headed individual. Congrats on that.

You should be proud of her.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

That was a great read. I'm glad you and your wife are so close, and that includes shooting now. I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances behind you two carrying though, and I wish you two the best of luck. Thanks so much for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by madplmber View Post
    I have an lcp and this is the holster I use for it this site has videos of how it workshttp://http://unclegeorgeswalletholster.com/UncleGeorgesCTLHolster.aspx
    madplmber -- Thanks for the great link and videos. That is an excellent holster; I'd say for back pocket carry, incredible fast and smooth draw.

And there I thought nobody manufacturers decent holsters for my newest best friend! Definitely in the list for a pocket-rocket-pocket carry options.

Thanks again.

This is getting a bit overwhelming for us, especially for my wife: so many options regarding self-defense firearms -- S&W442, 640, G26, Ruger LCP, Remington 870 and Benelli M4 semi-auto12 gauges, AK47s, Berettas, Ruger Mark II, Chip McCormick .38 Supers, 1911 .45 ACPs, ... reloading with Dillon, numerous holsters for every gun, belts, attire, CT lasers, tactics, training, and employing all that to daily life in Minnesota nice.

She was supposed to write you guys a nice thank-you note today, but the City decided to scr@w with us and we wasted most of the day for trivial issues other than the gun.

My wife has read this thread several times and is very humbled by the members support, advice and well wishes. She will eventually thank you personally.

We got our quality hour practicing drills in our backyard, though, the type of 'stages' used in ISPC and IDPA with real targets, scenarios and timers.

She loves to concentrate into what Gabe Suarez calls Managing The X - Managing The Fight - Warrior Talk Forums (hopefully it's not a banning violation to provide link to Warrior Talk Forum?)

It's the type of 'modern' training exhibited by this young lady YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #3 of #3

We're hoping to spend a day with Mr. Suarez as private students this year, but the gentleman is so darn busy. Well, we'll get our training.

Such was our week in the land of guns and Defensive Carry.

We wish you all a very safe and prosperous week.

TN Mike – Thank you for your kind words. I’m very proud of her, no doubt about it. I'm a lucky man.

Peckman28 – Thank you for taking the time to read our story. This new life of ours has made our marriage even closer, and we’ve always enjoyed each other’s company. Like is full of surprises.

Thank you for your well wishes.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    My Wife and I both have small hands and although we own 3 Glocks, they are really too big for our hands. I recently checked out the new RTF and Fourth Generation Glocks and their idea of "interchangeable grips" is to ADD on to an already too large (for some) grip!

Let your Wife try out the M&P 9c with a small grip. That works well for us and after a trigger job (local gunsmith did wonders for short money), it's a real sweet shooting gun. OOB, the M&Ps have highly variable trigger pulls and may/may not be "gritty" but post-trigger job they are a pleasure to shoot.

A couple of PDs around here have gone to M&P 45s and really like them.

Good luck and stay safe.

An update – a range report

After reading the story of my wife’s unexpected introduction to the world of self-defense and concealed carry, a distinguished member of Defensive Carry - JohnK87 – contacted us via PM and invited my wife and I to join him at his private club’s outdoor shooting range.

We’re honored and very touched by John’s generous and unexpected gesture.

First off, thank you John and your lovely wife for the warm invitation and being such a fabulous host. You’re also a first-class shooter and a gentleman.

We spent about two hours shooting – we had the whole range for the three of us. We’d a lunch for nourishment, exchange of curriculum vitae and brief feedback afterward in a Mexican Grill.

After a good nights sleep, my wife was ready for a two-hour self-evaluation during the breakfast this morning.

She explained what she had learned – I paraphrase:

I need to have a plan and a goal for a day at range. Concentrate to one thing only; too many goals and drills distract me at this juncture of my ability to improve my basic shooting skills. I’m still studying the basics.

I think repeating every challenge numerous times is a must for me, whether it is a draw and engage one target, two targets, or three targets with one head shot each, reload and one COM each. It’s beneficial to change the scenarios to maintain the required intense focus. This is the only way for me to discover my mistakes and to improve my shooting. Repetitions reveal common mistakes.

Dry firing and shooting live ammunition in a same drill still differ a lot.

The new experience of people observing me performing an assigned drill caused me to forget the basics. This changed when I strictly concentrated in the task of hitting the target instead of trying to be fast and accurate. The accuracy is always the priority: lead on the target to stop the attack.

My shooting was much slower and unsteady than previously. I noticed that after my arms were extended from the draw to “isosceles stance,” and the time to “squeeze” the trigger had passed, I was still trying to make up my mind whether or not to shoot. I was following the laser dot that never settles.

My customary practice is to let the 442 to go off just prior to achieving the isosceles. I’d never extend my arms fully. I keep my elbows slightly loose to absorb some of the recoil, the gun straight in front of my eyes.

I placed too much effort to gripping with my strong hand and too little with my weak hand, especially with the semi-autos. My S&W J-Frame grip is different and that held well throughout the shooting session.

My problem with the G26 grip was verified yesterday. John let me try his M&P940 (I think, he has so many firearms), and I found the gun very comfortable to shoot. It fit my hand perfectly. When shooting the G26, my grip disconnected and I had to readjust both hands from shot to shot. In addition, I’d failures to feed, and I don‘t think it was due to limp-wristing. The sights tracked erratically. I really don’t know what to think of the Glock.

With the M&P9 my grip held. The shooting was natural and the .40 relaxing to shoot. I was able to observe the sights better; the M&P9 recoiled and returned back to alignment.

It was a pleasant surprise that my new Ruger LCP was easy and fun to shoot. I expected much more sharper recoil and trouble to grasp the gun. I’m really looking forward receiving my CT laser sights for the LCP, because it really does not have decent sights. I was still able to shoot a six-inch group from five yards.

I made the decision to go and test fire the M&P9c John initially suggested for me.

In short, it was a fun day at the range and I learned a few valuable lessons.

LenS – Thank you for your post. Interestingly my wife tested the M&P9 yesterday and now wants to check it out. She is planning to rent one for a day and shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it.

The M&P9c could the answer to her quest for a perfect bigger self-defense handgun.

Thank you for your recommendation and well wishes.

All the best to your wife and you.

Stay safe.

This is the Mrs. MN2Go replying to your sympathetic messages. I thank all of you for your support, suggestions and wishes of safety and encouragement. I’ve been reading this heartwarming thread and I appreciate your concern.

Your support only strengthens my resolve to keep on training and learning my guns.

I myself am just learning and just trying to get more accurate with my shooting . Bought my first handgun in feb. a springfield 1911 and am enjoying shooting. May you two allways be safe .

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links