The story of my wife and concealed carry

This is a discussion on The story of my wife and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey MN2GO saw this last night not sure if you ordered the ct laser or not but this seems ok and its alot cheeper and ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The story of my wife and concealed carry

Hey MN2GO saw this last night not sure if you ordered the ct laser or not but this seems ok and its alot cheeper and they have a vid on this site of the dropping the gun with it on 100 times from ten feet .http://rdpersonalprotection.com/armalaser_lasers

2. Remove Ads

The pleasure was mine, I learned a bunch too. The MP40c I had used the Crimson Trace lasergrips (first time out) and if that is comfortable it would be great; the small backstrap might be even better. Only one way to find out, and that is to go shooting again :)
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    MN2Go, glad to help out. Too bad that I'm 1/2 a country away or I would have offered range time and toys to try out too. That's the best way to learn what "fits" and what doesn't.

Be aware of something however wrt the CT grips for the M&P. They make the gun grip a lot bigger than a Small grip . . . from the looks of it, I'd guess they are equal to the Large grip . . . and thus may not fit your Wife's hand very well.

The only gun I have a CT grip on is my 642 and that's because there really aren't any sights on that gun anyway. I find that I never raise the 642 up to eye level to shoot anymore, just use the CT's as a "crutch".

The M&Ps have decent sights and my preference is to use them and thus, personally I wouldn't consider buying a CT or LaserMax for it, even disregarding the large grip issue. I have the 9c, 9 FS and 45 FS and enjoy shooting them all.

I enjoyed reading this and think it great you and your wife shoot together all the time. I too have got my wife into shooting within the last few months and she loves it, she will be taking her CCW class at the end of this month. I do not know what the threat against your family is, but I hope you and your wife always meet it head on and will always be safe. It sounds like you have a great lady. Good luck and may God keep you both safe.

madplmber – thank you for your reply. Shooting is one of the best hobbies I can imagine with added other benefits. It’s great to hear that you enjoy improving your skills. Accuracy should always determine the rest of the elements of practice from speed on.

Springfield 1911 in .45 ACP was my first handgun too; I loved it and own a couple I’m working on now.

Yes, my ordered a CT for her Ruger LCP already. Should arrive next week.

Thank you for your well wishes.

Keep on shooting and stay safe.

John – Great shooting. Yeah, we need to move forward and let my wife’s hand determine the proper gun. The laser, I think, is a secondary consideration. You’re absolutely correct; one can never shoot too much. It would be great should your lovely wife have time to join us the next time. I’m certain the ladies would be able to share their experiences in a totally different level.

Thank you again for your gentlemanly gesture – Minnesota nice.

LenS – The great thing with the gun community is the willingness to share experiences and firearms.

Yes, I’m a bit confused still by the laser / a grip size variable regarding the M&P9c. I’ll – she’ll -- make certain that the next firearm my wife buys fits her hand perfectly. She loves the laser as a practice tool, and that is why she has the CT in her 442 and LCP. Should she go for the M&P9c, the only determining factor would be the fit, not the laser or any other potential gadget; so, thanks for the warning.

It is input like yours that is so invaluable to the rest of the members, because your own research due to smaller hand size makes it real and now sharing your experiences makes it easier for us. Darn, it is complicated to find a proper gun sometimes.

My wife also mentioned that the M&P had good sights (she does possess an additional eye-related disability that only creates further challenges regarding the gun selection / proper sights). We really need to rent a gun at the local range and shoot it as long as it takes to figure the firearm out. At this point of my own research, all the recommendations by other members of DC, and my wife’s experience, the M&P9c is the gun we’re aiming for.

Thank you again for your precious advice.

TJK68 – Well, thank you for your kind words.

It really adds to a great marriage experience when you’re able to share quality-shooting time. Great to hear that your wife will get her CC permit and start carrying. One less worry for you knowing she can take care of herself if the need ever arises. She sounds like a keeper, you lucky man.

Thank you for your blessing, we really appreciate that.

God Bless both of you.

You could look at something like this if you need the small grip and the laser. Touch with your finger it turns on, it becomes automatic as your trigger finger should be along the side of the gun as you draw.
    ARMA LASER RSS LASER SIGHT FOR PT-145 PF-9 24-7 P30 HK45 M&P SIG - KTKRSSA
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    You could look at something like this if you need the small grip and the laser. Touch with your finger it turns on, it becomes automatic as your trigger finger should be along the side of the gun as you draw.
    ARMA LASER RSS LASER SIGHT FOR PT-145 PF-9 24-7 P30 HK45 M&P SIG - KTKRSSA
    Thanks, John. This laser looks like it could work in the M&P9c.

My wife told me point blank today that she has the guns she needs at the moment, but will check out the M&P9c to be sure that it remains a viable option for her hands and eyesight.

Further study on the M&P has revealed her that the sights are better in the S&W than in the G26, and that the former has so many advantages over the G that she'll get it one sunny day. I think she is starting to develop an intense dislike on the G26.

The sights is a huge deal for my wife, because one of her eyes is practically blind. Can you even begin to comprehend what challenges that generates? Her stereo sight does not exist. She is unable to gauge distances. So, just having better, clearer sights in her self-defense firearm heavily favors the M&P9c. Add to that a potential laser and we're good to go.

[For all those belittling lasers, try for a day to shoot one-eyed-only. And with that I mean moving, shooting, etc., like a match. Better yet, go about your day playing an one-eyed pirate! There exists people out there with all kinds of disabilities and they - we - have even more urgent and special needs for a proper firearm with all the possible aid-providing gadgets.]

My wife will definitely test fire the Smith. Will she want the laser, I don't know. This laser looks good, and she will most probably end up buying one (I'm going to purchase one for myself anyway), but the urgency has subsided with the recent experiments with the Ruger LCP and 442, and, more important, the tomatoes arrived today and took most of the day to deal with.

She received today the CT laser (for her Ruger LCP) she ordered last Saturday! She installed the practical laser (the instructions really suck) and was happy to test the package. I do not comprehend why, but the LCP feels and shoots so well.

She'll receive two appendix carry holsters for the LCP this week, so we're almost there. She has now three different carry choices: 442 in appendix or fanny pack, the LCP in appendix or fanny pack, and the G26 OWB.

Thanks again, John, for the legwork for my wife.

Stay safe, all three of you.

Minnesota nice
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

Ruger LCP problem

My wife carries her new Ruger LCP quite a lot in fanny pack when taking the dogs out. Now, three times after the walk she has noticed that the magazine has been released by some unknown force and would drop off should she draw the gun and try to defend herself.

The magazine catch latch (#205 in the exploded view) of the LCP is pretty heavy and the gun is well protected in the funny pack. Nothing really explains the involuntary magazine release phenomenon.

I was totally perplexed. I'd understand if she should somehow push the magazine release by accident, but the gun stays in the otherwise empty funny pack all day.

My wife makes sure the magazine is properly seated. This problem has occurred only with the Ruger. She has never had a problem with her G26, or any of my numerous semi-autos.

I started to decipher the problem, and I think I figured it out.

I observed that the magazine catch latch did not return all the way back after the magazine was released; if I pushed the ‘button’ from the opposite side - right, it moved a bit more in.

Then I detected that the magazine latch spring (#208) was in an angle, out of its proper place! I pushed the latch spring in its place and the magazine release latch returns much farther.

It takes considerable force to depress the release latch with a thumb when the magazine is full.

I can’t believe some idjit not taking care that s/he would install a single cheap spring correctly jeopardized my wife’s life. Or, I’m to be blamed for allowing her to purchase this firearm?

I do like the Ruger a lot. It’s a nice, relatively inexpensive compact pocket-rocket with a growing fan club. I was so impressed with the LCP that I’d to purchase one for myself. It’s really fun to shoot and I like the simple design.

I’ll take some time for me to gain trust again, if ever. Time to start reloading the .380 and have it ‘battle proven.”

My wife switched immediately back to her trusted 442. It goes bang every time and the cylinder does not jump open when it so decides.

Reliability!

What would your next step be regarding this situation?
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    What would your next step be regarding this situation?
    My outlook is different from many, as evidenced by some recent polls, as well as many comments I've read since I've been on this site.

A recent poll here on DC indicated 75% of those who voted carry only one gun. Your wife just experienced why I carry two guns.

Since I was able to afford 2 guns, I have carried 2 guns 99.999% of the time for the very reason your wife encountered: drawing a primary and having it not ready to fire.

If I'm in a position to draw, I need the gun to be able to fire, and not have to diagnose and repair some issue before the gun will work. I may not have time. Same with your wife.

Another poll in the past indicated several carry a .380 as their EDC, with no backup. If I had options, I would not carry a small .380 as an EDC. Yes, these guns have their place, but many (including the Ruger) do not seem as reliable as some larger guns. Some claim perfect reliability: others do not.

What would I do? I would have been carrying a more proven gun in the first place, and also a backup.

Trying to put myself in your wife's position, and recognizing women generally have a more difficult time concealing on-body, I would carry the 442 for now. I would also immediately try to find a way to carry a more proven smaller auto, probably either an XD, Glock, or M&P (maybe a SIG if you could find a small one, or maybe a Kahr after it was thoroughly tested), at least in 9mm.

If concealing a larger gun was extremely problematic, I might still carry the Ruger, but it wouldn't be for a primary, and it wouldn't be alone.

DM2
    This is such an interesting and informative thread. Having seen the OP some time back but not reading the entire thread before today, I must say, I have really missed out on two things I like most about this forum...learning and a sense of family.

MN2Go, I'm very new to this world of guns and concealed carry, so I don't have much to offer in the way of advice and recommendations. However, I would like to thank you for sharing with the group and providing such a great opportunity to learn for me.

In addition, your wife sounds like an amazing woman. Reading her story has served to show me that I am not doing nearly enough. To her, I'd like to recommend (I haven't seen it mentioned yet) Cornered Cat which is a very informative site.

A few questions for you. Did you train your dogs or did you have them professionally trained? Any particular training method/philosophy used? Also, a book was once recommended to me on dog training that was either written by or based on a popular military dog trainer. Do you (or anyone reading this) happen to know the name of the book or the author?

Finally, may God bless you and your family and keep you safe. I can't imagine having to live under a constant directed threat. Just living today and trying to be ever-vigilant is stressful enough. God bless you both for being able to make the adjustment and make the most of living as normal a life as you can. I will be keeping you both in my prayers.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Dear Grady,

You’re always the voice of wisdom that derives from experience most people know nothing about – I thank you for caring and sharing.

When you talk, I’ll listen. I’m certain your personal decisions are based on long and hard deliberation and thinking through every angle and possibility.

We’re learning while sailing through this tsunami and making changes as we go. My wife is now carrying both primary and BUG, but we still need to get her the firearms she is most comfortable with and do the job.

I really can’t go into the principal reason for her LCP carry choice, but suffice it to say that she had a very limited and critical reason to carry such a firearm. Maybe another, better quality gun could have served that purpose? I need to start my quest all over again. What .380 would you recommend if any, quality and reliability being the primary incentive?

[The Ruger is no longer her carry gun, not even as a BUG. I’m going to start reloading the .380 and test fire the sucker thoroughly; that is another story.]

I agree. At the present my wife is the most familiar with the 442. Unfortunately her G26 experiment did not work out well. We’ve been contemplating the M&P9c for her due to her brief experience at the range with M&P9 she really liked – fit her hand, she told me. But that is going to take a few days to arrange. She needs to shoot it to really get to feel of the gun. We’re going to rent one on Tuesday and buy it should she feel fine with it.

Then, of course, she needs to practice a lot with the new firearm. Luckily her vacation is going to start within a week or so and we can spend some quality time at a private range we’ll rent for ourselves. We’re going to be instructed by a well-qualified instructor for a day, and I think my son, who is a cop with anti-‘man-made-disaster’ training, will come to tutor his Mom.

When we started this hunt for perfect CC self-defense gun for my wife, my experience with semi-autos (20+ years of IPSC, etc) told me – right or wrong - that a semi-auto is most probably not the best initial primary gun for her. I do not recall shooting one match where I did not experience a problem with my highly tuned race guns. It takes a lot of practice to deal with problems when the adrenaline is pumping. I did not trust even a $3500 Ed Brown 1911.

She just was not ready for that yet; thus, the obvious choice of a small revolver. It came as a surprise to me that she actually liked to shoot the 640 (and 442) despite J-Frame being somewhat a challenge to learn and master.

So, as you can see, we’re more or less following your train of thought: primary M&P9c and the 442 as a BUG.

Thank you for being there for us, Grady; taking the time to share your experience and offer invaluable facts. We so much appreciate your concern and advice.

God Bless.

DM2,

Thank you for your kind words, and you’re most welcome – thank you for taking the time to read the thread. This story of ours is one of many here at the DC for the benefit of all Americans.

Yes, she is familiar of the Cornered Cat. CC is doing a very good job educating both women and men in the art of gun from the female perspective.

We have trained our dogs always by ourselves. We’re combining all our experience with lots of Rottweilers we had prior to the German Shepherds, but we’re basically following the schutzhund training stressing obedience and protection. The German Shepherd dogs are very intelligent, protective and posses desire to work, and only need guidance to become a great guard dogs. The dogs consume most of my wife’s free time.

My wife and I thank you for your blessings and prayers – I can’t put it in words how much it means to us.

God Bless.

MN2GO first I have an lcp and my magazine release has been tight from day 1. Second if I were you Id contact Ruger and have them go through the gun they changed the button on some I heard. Also there was a problem with some of the first ones going boom if you dropped them . They corrected the problems and if somehow you got one of the guns made before the fix. I read where they will upgrade your gun to the new spec and they give you a free magazine and hat for your trouble. If you search online Im sure you can find out about the recall. May you and yours allways be safe.

MN2Go,

Thank you for your kind words. I do care about you and your wife, and I wish I could do more to help during your current situation.

Honestly, I have only a fraction of the experience that many on this site have, due to many decades of my head in the sand. However, I have crammed as much study into the last 3 years as I possibly could because I felt so far behind the curve. And the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. That's why I don't post much anymore. I'll develop an opinion, then study, train, and try it, then later realize it wasn't such a good opinion after all.

But I'll try to answer your questions the best I can based on my limited yet intensive study.

We’re learning while sailing through this tsunami and making changes as we go.
    That is a very apt description of my life and learning processes (recognizing that your current tsunami certainly trumps any tsunamis I've been in recently). Excellent description, and one that may be appropriate for a long time to come.

My wife is now carrying both primary and BUG,
    I'm always pleased when I know someone is carrying 2 guns. Perhaps because I realize anything mechanical can fail, and possibly at the worst time.

I carry 2 for those reasons, and also because I don't want to have to go H2H with some perp. I've had over a dozen appts. this year due to my back, and about a half dozen due to my heart. While your wife is probably in better shape than I am, I understand her lack of desire to have to physically fight someone. In such a situation, a gun may be what is required to solve the problem.

I really can’t go into the principal reason for her LCP carry choice, but suffice it to say that she had a very limited and critical reason to carry such a firearm. Maybe another, better quality gun could have served that purpose? I need to start my quest all over again. What .380 would you recommend if any, quality and reliability being the primary incentive?
    That's a hard one, but I'll give you my biases straight on and let you filter them in with other input in your life.

I have yet to find a .380 with the reliability factor of a Glock. Some obviously are better than others, but I'd hate to have to trust in one.

Having said that, there are two I might choose if forced to make a decision.

A newer Keltec P3AT: It has a longer track record than most, and Keltec has done several modifications to the original design. A search on ktog.org will produce the serial number point where the last major modification was made. I haven't researched that thread for several months, but I would feel comfortable buying one that was made in the last year or two.

An anecdote I read (don't know if it's accurate or not) was that perhaps the P3ATs with chromed slides might have a slight advantage because they are hand-selected to be chromed. The theory is that any slide with some imperfection might be noted with the extra handling. Note: I don't think the term is "chromed", but I forgot what Keltec calls it.

Yet I've read of several who have had failures with their P3AT, some catastrophic rendering the gun totally nonfunctional.

I limp-wristed my P3AT once when firing with my left hand... it needs good form to fire reliably, even if all the parts are working. I've since added a Pearce grip to the mag because I could only get about a finger and a half on the grip. I haven't tested it with the extension, but if it doesn't hinder the firing, it should help me not limp-wrist it.

The second .380 I might consider would be the Bersa. If I've done my homework correctly, the current .380 may be the 6th generation of that Bersa. That's plenty of time to work out the major bugs. I'm not a fan of the mandatory ILS lock on the Bersas, but if I had to choose a .380 today, the Bersa might be the one.

Again, I've read situations of Bersa .380s failing, though not as many as the Keltec.

Another anecdote is that a very few are having some issues with the newer .380CC Bersa, and maybe even the .380 nonCC version. Nothing I can point to as verified... so it may be unfounded.

I chose the Keltec originally due to its size. It can go where few other guns can go. But I do believe the larger mass of the Bersa aids in fewer issues such as limp-wristing.

As the size of gun increases from the Keltec to the Bersa .380, one nears the size of newer mini 9mm guns. If smallness is critical, at some point one must decide on a cutoff point where one will go no larger.

Even some of the newer small 9mms are having issues. I would hesitate to buy any new version of gun if it was to be depended on.

I think your wife's interest in the M&P 9 is a good sign. If she likes that gun and can shoot it, and finds it reliable, then the .380 reliability issues do not apply to her any more.

I hope this search turns out well for her. It sounds like she's in good hands with all the experienced shooters around her helping her come to her own decision.

I'm guessing gun size was at some point critical in her choice of a smaller weapon. If so, then there are parameters which I am not aware of which could invalidate any advice/comments I have.

I hope she can find a way to conceal a small 9mm gun. IMO that opens up options which will be more reliable than any .380 on the market.

The Glock didn't work out for some reason, so it's out. She'll be trying the M&P 9. Keep in mind the options of a pinky extender on some M&P mags, plus the ability to use an extended mag with spacer on the compact, if she has any issues using the smallest mag.

If the M&P doesn't work out, the XD9 subcompact might be an option worth looking at. It's ugly, blocky, and has a high bore axis, but according to all I've read and experienced, is as reliable as they come. But if concealing the Glock was the factor that caused her to dislike it, the XD9sc won't be any better in that regard.

As I mentioned, SIGs are known for their reliability, but they are fullsize guns. The single-stack SIGs are smaller, but still may be larger than she is looking for. (I am referring to 9mm and above SIGs. I would not consider the new SIG .380 due to reliability concerns.)

Kahr has many small offerings. I've read of many who had zero failures, yet I've also read of those who had so many issues, even with multiple trips back to the factory, that they will never own a Kahr again. If I had the money when I purchased my Keltec, I'd have taken my chances on a Kahr.

We’ve been contemplating the M&P9c for her due to her brief experience at the range with M&P9 she really liked – fit her hand, she told me. But that is going to take a few days to arrange. She needs to shoot it to really get to feel of the gun. We’re going to rent one on Tuesday and buy it should she feel fine with it.
    I hope the M&P 9 works out for her. Then most of this post is ignorable. I might have gone the M&P route if I hadn't purchased several firearms before I discovered the M&P. It had early issues with mags dropping out unexpectedly, but I think they have solved that issue.

Then, of course, she needs to practice a lot with the new firearm. Luckily her vacation is going to start within a week or so and we can spend some quality time at a private range we’ll rent for ourselves. We’re going to be instructed by a well-qualified instructor for a day, and I think my son, who is a cop with anti-‘man-made-disaster’ training, will come to tutor his Mom.
    Sounds like she's in good hands.

So, as you can see, we’re more or less following your train of thought: primary M&P9c and the 442 as a BUG.
    IMO that'd be a great combination... or any two reliable guns, if the M&P doesn't work out.

I just like carrying 2 because, as I mentioned, I don't want to be forced to go H2H if my only gun fails. I imagine your wife feels the same for her situation.

Thank you for being there for us, Grady; taking the time to share your experience and offer invaluable facts. We so much appreciate your concern and advice.

God Bless.
    With her and your mindsets, at some point you'll find gun/carry combinations you are comfortable with because you are determined enough to see this to the end... and it doesn't hurt to continue tweaking, making changes as the months and years pass.

Good luck with the M&P 9, or further searching if that doesn't work out. I believe you are both determined enough to see this through to the end.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links