The story of my wife and concealed carry - Page 7

The story of my wife and concealed carry

This is a discussion on The story of my wife and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; madplmber – thanks for the tip and link. I’ll contact them. They’d know about every safety issue regarding their products. Thank you for the well ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The story of my wife and concealed carry

madplmber – thanks for the tip and link.

I’ll contact them. They’d know about every safety issue regarding their products.

Thank you for the well wishes.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

Dear Grady,

We value your thoroughly thought out advice. A man who says, ‘the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know” is on right track.

I’d love to see you contribute more, but I fully comprehend and appreciate your current state of mind and reasons.

We’re sorry to hear about your health issues and pray they will turn out to be only little challenges the life throws at you to test your character.

You guessed right on the size being the decisive factor for the need for the 380. Perfect size.

I will check out both the Keltec P3AT and Bersa.

When John, one of the DC members from Minnesota kindly invited us to join him to shoot at his private club’s range, he offered my wife his M&P940.

She had never shot the M&P9 and immediately liked the firearm, how it fit her hand despite the grip being the ‘medium’ size - if memory serves. The gun comes with a smaller “Palmswell Grip Size,” which should be perfect for her. Also, the M&P9s grip was “better shaped” than that of her G26’s. In addition, the sights were better.

I did not have a chance to shoot it.

She told me that she liked the gun. She is going to test-drive it, and should the M&P9c feel and shoot as well or better than John’s bigger gun, then that is what is going to be her next SD firearm. If, for some odd reason the M&P does not fit the bill, we’ll move on until the problem is solved to her satisfaction.

Thanks again for the information and encouragement. I’ll keep you updated.

My wife sends her love and thanks you for all your efforts to reach out and assist us.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    When you rent the M&P 9c, ask them to install the Small grip for her to shoot with. Most of the time they would have the Medium or Large grip installed.

A good friend who is a LEO and armorer swears by his Kahr PM9. We've discussed the problem with cartridges getting stuck in the mag and both of us feel this was due to the use of 147 gr bullets. He uses 115 and 124 gr bullets and has had zero failures. Soon I hope to try out the PM9. It might make a good backup gun for your Wife.

The M&P dropped mag issue was an early issue with a bad mag release spring and S&W repaired them and changed it so that it's no longer an issue. I own 3 M&Ps and have never experienced the problem (or any other problems for that matter . . . other than all needing trigger jobs to smooth them out but that was short money from a local gunsmith). Apex Tactical's sear etc. I am told makes the M&P a great gun. Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Your Wife's problem with the mag release might be a spring problem. Ruger should take care of it for her.

LenS,

Thank you for your reply.

She is definitely going for the small grip. I'm also interested in checking out the Kahr PM9 - way too may firearms out there.

I've always preferred light-weight bullets over heavier ones due to issue you bring up.

I really don't mind the trigger job as long as the gun finally agrees with my wife's hand. Apex Level 2 Trigger: $130, is that what you mean?

I'm 100% certain it was the carelessly inserted mag latch spring that caused the mag problem in the LCP, because it does not occur anymore. You really have to apply pressure to get the mag released now.

We'll see tomorrow how it goes.

Thanks again for you input.

Stay safe.

I bought my 9c used and prior owner had a local gunsmith do the trigger job on it. My other M&Ps were bought new and given to a local gunsmith. This was all before Apex came out with their drop-in parts for the M&P. Each trigger job only cost me $65 (he's up to $75 now), so it was cheap money for the improvement obtained.

I know people who have done the Apex work, but don't know exactly which items they bought. Perhaps someone else with experience with this can chime in here?

Here's where you can get info on the Apex system. Post #7 is by one of the principals in the company. Ignore the MA-specific info, but you should be able to learn everything you need to know about the Apex system from this thread.

Drop in Trigger Kits for M&Ps

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Here's where you can get info on the Apex system. Post #7 is by one of the principals in the company. Ignore the MA-specific info, but you should be able to learn everything you need to know about the Apex system from this thread.

Drop in Trigger Kits for M&Ps
    Thanks, Lens, I really mean it.

You're welcome.

All of us are here to help each other!

Hope you and your Wife stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    ...About three years ago - out of blue - my wife declares that she wants to learn everything about all of our guns.
    The same thing happened to me. It really was just out of the blue. I have never been anti-gun or anything, just disinterested. Then...for no obvious reason, I became very interested practically overnight.

I enjoyed reading your post (and the responses). Thank you for sharing your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    The same thing happened to me. It really was just out of the blue. I have never been anti-gun or anything, just disinterested. Then...for no obvious reason, I became very interested practically overnight.

I enjoyed reading your post (and the responses). Thank you for sharing your experience.
    My pleasure, Rebecca.

Stay safe.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links