Colorado State University Recinds Ban

This is a discussion on Colorado State University Recinds Ban within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the Fort Collins Coloradoan May 6, 2010 CSU rescinds gun ban Gun owners suing CSU over a ban on concealed weapons are dropping their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado State University Recinds Ban

Colorado State University Recinds Ban

From the Fort Collins Coloradoan May 6, 2010

CSU rescinds gun ban

Gun owners suing CSU over a ban on concealed weapons are dropping their lawsuit after the university's governing board Wednesday voluntarily rescinded the ban. The Colorado State University Board of Governors had approved the ban in February, and it was to have taken effect Aug. 1.
    Because CSU is withdrawing the ban, the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners are dropping their lawsuit seeking to have it struck down, said spokesman Ray Hickman, who was also a plaintiff in the suit.
    "Clearly nothing will change on campus, as there was nothing broken to begin with," Hickman said shortly after the vote. "RMGO joins the rest of Colorado residents in thanking CSU for making the right decision."
    In April, the Colorado Court of Appeals ruled that a similar longstanding ban at the University of Colorado was illegal.
    CSU board members said they still believe that keeping weapons off campus is generally a good idea but agreed the court ruling bound them to act.
    "Our hands are sort of tied," said board member John Ikard.
    Under the action Wednesday, Fort Collins campus President Tony Frank and Pueblo campus President Joe Garcia will work with the university's lawyers to develop a new plan that meets state law, as interpreted by the Appeals Court.
    CU has not appealed the decision, although it still has time to do so, a CSU attorney told the board on Wednesday.
    CSU officials said they believed removing weapons from campus would improve overall safety. Critics of the ban, including Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden, noted that CSU couldn't provide any evidence that having concealed weapons on campus was causing a problem.
    CSU has long barred weapons of any kind from residence halls. The ban would have extended that restriction to the entire campus.

What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

2. Remove Ads

Nice. One step forward...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I am a university student here in Utah. I have met a suprising number of students who legally conceal and do so daily, as do I. I am unaware of any gun violence breaking out on campus because we carry.

I have yet to understand the rationalization behind the fear of the presence of legally carried guns on campus, or anywhere else for that matter. When did the actions of an individual become less important then the tool or object they carry? I guess that question is more rhetorical than anything.

I am scary because I have a gun, nevermind my lawful and peaceful actions. I am a threat to peace. [sarcasm]

I just don't understand the thought process. It is frustrating. Did Virginia Tech teach them nothing?

Despite my frustration, I am glad to hear that CSU was compelled to act and do the right thing, even if they don't like it.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Great news for northern CO residents!
    "We're now going to track the policy of every secondary education campus in the state -- every community college, every university, all of them -- and file suit against those who attempt to violate Colorado law." RMGO Lawsuit wins -- CSU backs down

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Well, I can add CSU to the list my son is applying to.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

This is as it should be!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    glad to see they came to their senses. Waiting until after the court ruled the other schools ban was illegal, then instituting their own was just plain stupid.

Although it sounds like they were only detered by the law, not good policy, and will be trying to find some way around the law.
    "President Joe Garcia will work with the university's lawyers to develop a new plan that meets state law, as interpreted by the Appeals Court."

We'll see what that looks like.
    Walk softly ...

Good news!

Good that the court ruled in favor of the right to self defense.

Good that the university didn't make the court rule specifically on their case.

WooHoo! Common sense prevails!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

... you get the point
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I went to CSU for 2 years in between an Iraq deployment, and I carried my pistol with me everyday! Myself, and many other people who carried in class, would not have hesitated at the opportunity to take control of a violent situation. I personally could name 15 other Marines that carry on CSU campus everyday! I beg anyone to write me an email saying that CSU is LESS safe because I carrying a weapon!!!
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Great news!
    I would ask university officials how taking weapons away from victims makes victims safer?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Apparently college students in Utah and Colorado are unique in their ability to not go around shooting up the place, since in the rest of 'America' arming students is a bad idea.

In other news Oklahoma moves toward open carry while California moves to kill it.

If it weren't so sad, it would be funny.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I got this email from the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners.

(Fort Collins, 5/05/2010) Today the CSU Board of Governor's voted to rescind their illegal ban on concealed carry on campus.

"They didn't have a legal leg to stand on," said Dudley Brown, Executive Director of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (RMGO). "We told them in January, in no uncertain terms, that state law did not allow them to create their own gun ban. Unfortunately, it took a lawsuit to force them to back down."

RMGO filed suit against CSU's Board of Governors on April 15th, proving that unelected board had no authority to override existing state law, which explicitly allows permit holders to carry on college campuses. A day later, a Colorado Appeals Court ruled against CU's ban on carrying.

"This has been a good couple of weeks for law-abiding citizens who want to defend themselves on Colorado campuses, and a terrible week for criminals who assume no one is able to defend themselves on campuses," Brown said. "We're now going to track the policy of every secondary education campus in the state -- every community college, every university, all of them -- and file suit against those who attempt to violate Colorado law."

"The citizens, students and faculty at these facilities should thank the members and donors of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, the organization responsible for correcting these errant bureaucrats, and Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, who put a lot of hard work into this battle."

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners is Colorado's largest gun rights organization.
    By my count, that is 1 campus that back to carry allowed after a brief pause, and another that was a no carry got smacked.

2 down, 4 more major campuses to go.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links