Suing stores that ban guns

This is a discussion on Suing stores that ban guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we are all law abiding citizens and we all know the bad guys ignore the "no guns allowed" signs. So lets say I am ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suing stores that ban guns

Suing stores that ban guns

So we are all law abiding citizens and we all know the bad guys ignore the "no guns allowed" signs. So lets say I am in one of those establishments and a BG causes great harm or death to myself or my family. Should you be able to sue the establishment for not protecting you or not allowing yourself to protect you and yours while in their establishment??? I am interested in your thoughts....

2. Remove Ads

Already happens all the time.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

I think that is a good post. Something I have always wondered about.

I personally wouldn't waste my time on it.

A) It is private property.
    B) You have no constitutional rights protections on private property from a non-government entity or person as the constitution only states which rights the government cannot infringe upon.
    C) If you don't like the policy of the business or premises, simply don't go there.
    D) As a private business owner, I will be damned if you are going to tell me how I can or can't run my business or which policies I can or cannot have in place.
    E) You are ultimately responsible for your own safety. No one else is obligated to protect you and to think anything different is absolute foolishness.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    E) You are ultimately responsible for your own safety. No one else is obligated to protect you and to think anything different is absolute foolishness.
    exactly, we are responsible for our own safety, but these businesses are not allowing us to protect ourselves. i would just not give them my money and go somewhere else.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Interesting concept. Tubby brings up good points.

It probably just depends on where you live, whether or not it will fly in court.

Really, private property rights are just as sacred as self-defense. I would argue, that if you knew arms were banned, you could've just opted not to go to that establishment. So, you went in, knowing the consequences.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

In MN we can ignore the 'this establishment bans guns' signs, thanks to the great bunch of pro-gun attorneys who practically wrote the carry law.

Like Tubby said: it's private property.

its simple for me........... NOT going there..... i will go somewhere else. Plain and simple
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Its private property and no one is forcing you to be there.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Ok let me throw this out at you then, lets say you are late due to somebody causing an accident on the freeway. Can you sue that person for making you late??? If your being late caused "damages" to your life??? These are things that go through my head while sitting in traffic....

That's one of the good things about Fla, I just ignore the signs, they are meaningless here which is why you see very few.

On topic, I have heard of businesses being sued for failing to provide a safe environment. That being said, you could still carry pepper spray, knife or other type of self defense device, not my first choice but better than nothing.

Not substantial grounds. You should have left sooner to allow for unseen pitfalls of transportation. You should have driven safer, thus avoided the accident altogether.

Seems to me you are lazy and looking for an excuse to sue someone so you can make a quick few dollars and retire happily while someone else's life is ruined to enhance your livelihood. May not be that at all, but that's what I get from you from these two posts here.

I'm a young guy at 29 (in 3 weeks), but my parent raised me to take care of problems on my own, not to whine to the government or legal system every time something doesn't go my way. It's called life. If it was easy, it wouldn't be called life.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Its private property and no one is forcing you to be there.
    There you have it. No one is forcing you to disarm. You don't have to enter the place. The posted sign has made you fully aware that your gun is not allowed inside. Of course you can sue over anything but I wouldn't count on winning this one.

i believe in the right for a private business to be able to put signs on their front door. I believe in the right for them to ask someone to leave if they see them dissobeying their sign, or really for any reason (like them acting up, etc).
    I am not a big fan of states making a place a 'no carry zone' b/c they have a sign. I think the concenquenses should be the exact same as that of most signs. if you dissobey and are caught, they can ask you to leave. if you do not leave, you are tresspassing. Thats how a lot of states do it. I wish TN was one of them.

As far as going into a place that has a sign or sueing them b/c of it?
    Meh, If you have a problem with them, then dont go there.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

As has been said no one is forcing you to be there. On the other hand, if a big enough stink was raised perhaps they would change the law so that the signs mean nothing as it is in some states already. Concealed is concealed.

The store owner can post his sign for liability reasons and ask me to leave should he discover I am armed. It is then up to me to not let him find out. Sometimes we have to spend our money in places that dont allow guns

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links