Lessons Learned today, that I wont repeat.

This is a discussion on Lessons Learned today, that I wont repeat. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its been 10 years since I carried a gun regularly and boy I found out today just how rusty I was. I came home from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned today, that I wont repeat.

Its been 10 years since I carried a gun regularly and boy I found out today just how rusty I was. I came home from work today throught the garage as normal; my G29 IWB. I open the door to the house and see the back door wide open. You would think my SA would go on high but no, all I can think about is my wifes little stupid dog (mine is smart). Thinking she's run out the door and is dead somewhere, runs through my mind. I find the dogs sleeping upstairs.
    So as a cuss and get a sigh of relief; then I notice the front door was unlocked. This never happens, we never use the door and its always locked. NOW finally my SA kicks in pull the G29 and start to clear the house; found nothing. Im lucky no one was in the house because I made so much noise looking for the dog the element of surprise was gone; I mean really gone.

So here are my lessions learned:
    1. I carry that gun for a reason and I need to be more aware and expect the unexpected. I should have pulled it as soon as noticed the back door was open.
    2. I need to practice clearing my house. I did not realize how many rooms, closits and places to hide were in my house. I found myself crossing my own path multiple times. I didnt have a systematic plan to clear the house.

Ok, let the blasting begin, Im a bad,bad man.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

You learned a lesson or two, good for you.

Don't be hard on yourself. Next time you're better prepared.

Buy your wife a smarter dog :)

Dont beat yourself up too much. Many people never expect something is wrong or have the "it wont happen to me" mentality.

Practice clearing your house, perferably when no one is home and with an unloaded weapon. Before leaving, make sure the house is totally secure, even if your going out a moment and will be back shortly. Make sure that your wife knows to do this as well, incase she is the last one to leave. Always be aware of out of place objects and doors open, etc. Even if it was just the dogs, better to be alert and ready than caught off guard yourself.

Did you ever figure out why the door was open?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
    2. I need to practice clearing my house. I did not realize how many rooms, closits and places to hide were in my house. I found myself crossing my own path multiple times. I didnt have a systematic plan to clear the house.

No. I repeat, NO!!! Clearing a house is EXTREMELY dangerous even when done by professionals. Watch the cops do it. Plenty of backup and firepower, serious lighting, and CAREFUL. As you mention, lots of nooks and crannies and if there'd been someone in there, you'd be seriously dead now. Think about it. He's armed and in hiding. You have no idea where. He's dark and quiet and waiting. You're stumbling around making noise and showing light. Now he knows exactly where YOU are. You're advancing on him, in the open, making yourself an excellent target. He's crouched down behind something - perfect ambush setup. You'll locate him when you see his muzzle flash.

If you SERIOUSLY think there's someone in your house - STAY OUT. Cover the entrances from safe concealment/cover and call 911. Let the guys who are paid to take the risks do it.

Well...I have to ask....why were the doors open/unlocked?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I disagree with Keltyke, lets say his wife was supposed to be upstairs taking a nap or a shower or something? He needs to practice clearing his house. Think like a criminal, think of all the places a bad guy would hide. Home Turf is very adventagious!!! plus, Police average respond time in a city is 3 min! How long would it take SWAT to go in and clear your house? Learn your territory and practice as often as you can!
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

VIP Member
    When someone broke into my parents house while they were out of town, it never crossed my mind to clear it. When the first cop got there, he waited for back up, and then two of them (wearing vests) carefully cleared it.

My big ol' country butt stayed safely outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrmydeadbdy View Post
    I disagree with Keltyke, lets say his wife was supposed to be upstairs taking a nap or a shower or something?
    That's a completely different scenario. I was addressing his original post. There's NO PROPERTY in your house worth dying for. People are different - I sorta thought that'd be obvious.

Think about this...wife is upstairs, he's on a razor's edge. She comes around the corner and he shoots automatically. Now she's dead. Don't laugh, it's happened more than once. Here's another one...he begins clearing. She hears the noise, thinks it's a BG, grabs her gun, shoots the first thing she sees moving. He's dead, again. That's happened, too. You can go on and on "what ifing".

Another poster asked a valid question - why were all the doors open? I'll ask another - no alarm system?

I agree, if it's just you, get the heck outta there and let the pro's do it.

I'd not enter my home if I suspected B&E.

The only reason I'd imagine going in would be if I knew /saw my child or wife were in danger. I'd not wait for the cops to arrive.

We have practiced "house cleaning" many times, and we can navigate our home in darkness quite efficiently.

Should someone enter our castle, we'd barricade ourselves and call 911. The poor basta-d would have to deal with our German Shepherds first to get to us.

It was a good lesson the OP learned. We all can learn from this.

YEP +1 we all can learn ..

I had kinda the same thing ,but it was really late( at this time MI was may issue) I was driving down my side street to my GP house i was living at and found all my lights were on and the rear door was kick in and (i wish i had my permit at this time) i go in look in my room and all the took was a 13in tv and VCR.. Messing up the room in taking the tv and Vcr, totaling missing my Jewerly box...

I did call the police after i found my house phone and they asked me if there were still in the house...I said no, they said a car will over soon..gotta love respose times...

I just glad now that i have my CCW/CPL so if this ever happen again i'll be able to clear my house..
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

You're not a bad man, you're an obviously wiser man now.

See that, I found the positive side.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    You learned a lesson or two, good for you.

Don't be hard on yourself. Next time you're better prepared.

Buy your wife a smarter dog :)
    have to agree..... the dog didn't even bark ? I'ld say the dog needs some "situational awareness " training.

Uh, I came home one day ... found it about like you describe, went on high alert.... and caught BG in back yard. Only difference was ... he had a bunch of stuff he was planning on taking all stacked up in the middle of the living room floor. My dang dogs didn't do anything either.... but they died of old age and are no longer with me. My new dogs, would alert big time... better trained.

Well it is apparent my wife forgot to lock the doors when she left for work, and the wind blew open the back door.
    I think there are some valid points with getting the profesionals there to do the job. I do belive that I do need to realize how to clear the house if need be.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Well it is apparent my wife forgot to lock the doors when she left for work, and the wind blew open the back door.
    I think there are some valid points with getting the profesionals there to do the job. I do belive that I do need to realize how to clear the house if need be.
    In all honesty, I have cleared my own house when it wasn't apparent that anybody had broken in, but there was the question of 'Did we leave that door open'? I'm not saying it's right, but I would have just felt silly calling the cops. I think there's enough gray area here to justify being proficient in clearing one's own home. It is our castle, afterall .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links