Carry gun laser

Carry gun laser

This is a discussion on Carry gun laser within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So Iím getting old and my vision has deteriorated just enough I need glasses for reading and shooting. I went with my wife to test ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun laser

Carry gun laser

So Iím getting old and my vision has deteriorated just enough I need glasses for reading and shooting.

I went with my wife to test her new 422 with the Crimson Trace Laser last year, and Iíd left my glasses at home. Iíve never paid much attention to lasers, but thanks to being ďblind,Ē I learned an excellent lesson.

It was darn easy to punch a hole from ten yards. I moved the target all the way to 25 yards, aimed some 10 inches off the X to 10 oíclock and kept on shooting a group reload after reload. I tried with my weak hand only, and to group still was one ragged hole. The laser run around like a crazy drunken monkey, but the gun (this is a J-frame) was accurate with proper trigger control.

I do not mind losing my sight anymore; the laser can compensate a lot. Iím thinking installing one to my main carry 1911, 640 and G26.

Anyone else in love with lasers?

I have a Kimber Ultra with Crimson Trace grips. I love the laser, but now try to not depend on it.

In a life and death situation, Speed and accuracy are your real friends. Don't rely on the laser, but it is a very usefull aid.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

A laser is a tool, just like a flashlight and night sights... Train with it, but also train to fire if it fails. Any one who says that a laser is a gimmick is wrong.

BUT you have to remember that it is ONLY a tool.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I'd not depend on the laser, obviously, I just found it an impressive aid to hit the target at 25 yards when "blind."

I combine several techniques in self-defense situations, from point shooting on ...

As to speed and accuracy, I've been training a lot to re-train myself from what was customary approach in the USPSA/IPSC shooting; i.e. speed and accuracy.

I do understand that you meant a totally different thing, but it brought the subject to my mind.

Thank you for your input.

Cool

My eyes have gotten old too. I added the Crimson Trace to my Kahr CW9. Perfect! Don't have to worry about the sights now.

I have used lasers as well but I prefer the night sights. I find that it greatly improves the sight picture. When money allows I am curious to see how the internal laser made for my EDC G22 works. From my understanding one is made that replaces the recoil spring rod and has a laser built in. I look forward to trying this combo.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

I have a lasermax guiderod laser on my EDC, SA XD45. for tight quarters defense and low light situations it is excellent. plus in a sd situation, i would be able to get a clean shot without exposing any more of myself than needed, eyes and one hand. i train with and without it.
    Z

$349.00 for LaserMax for GLOCK 26 !!!

I think a laser has its purposes, especially in low light and shooting around corners without exposing more than the hand. It's also a fun tool to train with.

Anyways, I found it an interesting option.

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    $349.00 for LaserMax for GLOCK 26 !!!

I think a laser has its purposes, especially in low light and shooting around corners without exposing more than the hand. It's also a fun tool to train with.

Anyways, I found it an interesting option.

The price is why I don't have one. I fired a friend's Glock with the internal laser and really liked it. But that is a lot of $$$ these days

I have a CT on my LCR. It is a good tool, but do not depend on it. I practice with and without it.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    A laser is a tool, just like a flashlight and night sights... Train with it, but also train to fire if it fails. Any one who says that a laser is a gimmick is wrong.

BUT you have to remember that it is ONLY a tool.
    Well put. I have night sights on all of my carry guns and a CT laser on most. I'm a strong believer in having as many tools available as possible.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

i have a lasermax gaiude rod laser on my glock 21
    NRA LIFE MEMBER SCOPE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    Iím thinking installing one to my main carry 1911......
    I'm curious which laser you're considering.

Some love & some hate the Lasermax. Seems like I recall some saying they frequently broke down & had to be returned or repaired.

The Crimson grips could be a good choice (I have them on my SWm60 2") but I love the wood grips on my Springfield 1911 and I understand 1911s with an ambi safety need some modification.

The grips are a little cheaper, but not be enough to sway me one way or another.

I guess it depends on the individual, but I had a laser on my Glock 22 and I found it slowed me down quite a bit. I also am in the "failing sight" age range (67) but the laser just cost me too much time. I now carry a J-Frame and shoot without the laser . I also shoot without my glasses as I don't want to to depend on them either. Finding my glasses at night and putting them on costs time I don't think I will have.

I feel that any scenario I will find myself in is going to be close and quick, with no time for delays.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links