One BG in 100 - perhaps?

This is a discussion on One BG in 100 - perhaps? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I will trust somebody as much as they are far away, and I can see their hands. You have to be ready to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One BG in 100 - perhaps?

VIP Member
    I guess I will trust somebody as much as they are far away, and I can see their hands. You have to be ready to nutralize everybody you meet. If I thought lightning was going to hit me today, I wouldn't have put on my tinfoil beanie.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

from 'Rules of Combat'....

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

As for avioding eye contact....I don't aviod it. You can tell a lot by a person's eyes. I watch the eyes & hands, they are the things that a BG is going to use.
    Last edited by goawayfarm; June 7th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Not really a new subject but one which I think is worthy of consideration.

I am well aware that the best con-man - is the guy who seems so darned ''normal'' we could be forgiven for being taken in!! Smart, intelligent - almost the ''nice guy next door''.

I wonder tho if we project this to the occasional armed BG then we might get caught out. Probably most bad guys are crude, semi-dumb or totally dumb but the odds could be that here and there is the guy who is (appears) so OK and normal, we'd hardly give him a second glance. If we were to be confronted by such, I wonder how much we might be thrown off guard!

There is naturally a lot to be said for being in a relaxed con' yellow - necessary if we carry in particular but - in the same way as we perceive BG's seeing certain types as potential victims, might we also all but ignore until rather late - the apparently ''nice guy'' BG!!?

Bottom line is what I often preach - ''expect the unexpected''. "Never assume".

Just musing - something I do quite a lot
    That is what Jeff Cooper has said for a long time, and what he wrote in the little red book--'Principles of Self Defense' first published in 1989.

Our current county populations is about 35 to 40K. If we figure 6K males over 18, that means there are 60 +- of these people in the area. No way one can go to and fro and round about without at some time running into one of these people.

Stay awake.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    Chris, I think you're talking about the scariest critter of all: The true and natural predator. A sociopath who can still function, at least on the surface, and interact in society without folks tumbling to his true identity. .....

I also think that these "creatures" see themselves as being KING of their environment, even if they hold a fairly lower level job or position in society. They probably hold a "personna" or "alter ego" in check until the hunger grows out of control and then they strike. But even in the strike they see ALL of society as placid sheep and they themselves as the maurading wolf. I don't think it is even a remote possibility that the sheepdogs rest among the flock and that is to our advantage. These creatures of incarnate evil probably see the police and all agents of society as pitiful examples of resistance to their "rule." These types of predators are rarely captured...usually because they are very careful in the stalk and the kill. I think it's possible that they are killed more often than they're caught and when that happens the nature of their predatory activities does NOT come out. What do you think?

Ex:
    You write too well! Chills up my back! You just described Dennis Rader, Mr. Blind, Torture & Kill ("BTK") who operated in Wichita Kansas for 15 plus years until his recent capture. We lived in Wichita shortly after his reign of terror had silently ended. The city was on edge. We lived there the next twelve years, hearing "BTK" stories and lore.

Fast forward 25 years or so - BTK - anxious to regain to notoriety from his earlier exploits - dropped a new clue to the police. Caught - he was a small town functionary,a bureaucrat, a control fanatic who delighted in the small, inexplicable control his office offered over its residents. Citations for grass too long (personally measured by him), dogs sent to animal control and put to sleep because he disliked the owner....the list is long!

You nailed it.......

Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity
    I try not to judge by appearence, but by their actions. I've known some very pretty "nice" looking girls that were pure evil and would come after you with a pair of garden shears if the mood struck them.

Hey ! I was married to one of them

Yeah, I know a guy just like you described. Without a doubt - someone like that makes a swim with a Great White Shark seem like a good idea.

VIP Member
    The "bikini killer" was just captured - he is a TN registered sex offender with a long criminal history, who recently raped and murdered (strangled her with her bikini top) a college girl. He's a bald guy with tattoos all over his neck, an intimidating look that would make a lot of women beware. He's the kind of guy that sets your radar off a mile away, because his stereotyped appearance screams of ill-will.

And then, as already discussed, we have the handsome, charming Ted Bundy types that twinkle their eyes and easily disarm a woman. He's a gentleman, clean cut, dressed well, and may open doors and call a lady ma'am. Surely no man like that would be up to no good, and this type knows it and uses it to his advantage.

It's truly a scary thing when predators aren't obvious and can mask themselves, blend in, and methodically plan their moves. It makes it especially hard on women. I wouldn't tell my dates I had an ace up my sleeve (or strapped to my ankle). You just never know.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Wolves Blend-In

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    The "bikini killer" was just captured - he is a TN registered sex offender with a long criminal history, who recently raped and murdered (strangled her with her bikini top) a college girl. He's a bald guy with tattoos all over his neck, an intimidating look that would make a lot of women beware. He's the kind of guy that sets your radar off a mile away, because his stereotyped appearance screams of ill-will.

And then, as already discussed, we have the handsome, charming Ted Bundy types that twinkle their eyes and easily disarm a woman. He's a gentleman, clean cut, dressed well, and may open doors and call a lady ma'am. Surely no man like that would be up to no good, and this type knows it and uses it to his advantage.

It's truly a scary thing when predators aren't obvious and can mask themselves, blend in, and methodically plan their moves. It makes it especially hard on women. I wouldn't tell my dates I had an ace up my sleeve (or strapped to my ankle). You just never know.
    The recently captured "Bikini Killer" was a construction worker on a site not 500 yards from the murder scene. He FIT INTO his surroundings. Ted Bundy FIT into his stalking ground. Heck some child kidnappers have used a little puppy to help attract their victim: Hey can you help me look for my lost puppy? I think she wandered into those woods over there.... See? A nice man with a lost puppy. Perfect bait. Ted Bundy used to use a phony cast on his arm. He'd wander up to his victim and ask her to help him load a package that he couldn't grab with both hands. People like to HELP other people. Sheeple gather together. When the victim leaned into the car, he'd SMASH the cast onto her head and stun her. The door on the passengers side had no door release handle. It was locked. Victim trapped and terrified....no defense.....and shortly....no life.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Probably most bad guys are crude, semi-dumb or totally dumb but the odds could be that here and there is the guy who is (appears) so OK and normal, we'd hardly give him a second glance.
    The problem is the flip side of that. Yes, many BGs are crude and stupid, but so are many GG (Good Guys).

Although a skilled cold reader can tell a tremendous amount about a person just by looking him over (and much more if he can talk to the person), one thing he generaly can't tell is if the guy has evil intent at that moment (unless the poor sod telegraphs his intentions).

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tholzel
    The problem is the flip side of that. Yes, many BGs are crude and stupid, but so are many GG (Good Guys).

Although a skilled cold reader can tell a tremendous amount about a person just by looking him over (and much more if he can talk to the person), one thing he generaly can't tell is if the guy has evil intent at that moment (unless the poor sod telegraphs his intentions).
    I have to disagree with this. First of all, just because someone is a GG or carries a firearm, that does not make them “crude and stupid”. Secondly, a good guy is not going to bother someone minding their own business. Third, the instant someone threatens, pulls a weapon of any sort, and or attacks my family, they have just become the BG.

Not even then....

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work
    Trust Nobody, but your close relatives and friends.

Jungle Work
    Well, I'd take out the relative thing...my ex-wife would have qualified as a close relative....though I'd have classified her elsewise!
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Bottom line is what I often preach - ''expect the unexpected''. "Never assume".

Amen...Which is why I say, despite the chagrin of some, "the enemy always gets a vote"

TUG
    to assume is to make ass-u-me or ass of you and me

VIP Member
    ......In God we trust, all others are suspect....
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work
    Trust Nobody, but your close relatives and friends.

Jungle Work
    Is'nt it that something like 70-80% of all crimes commited are by perps well known by the vic?
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links