One BG in 100 - perhaps?

This is a discussion on One BG in 100 - perhaps? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not really a new subject but one which I think is worthy of consideration. I am well aware that the best con-man - is the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One BG in 100 - perhaps?

Assistant Administrator

One BG in 100 - perhaps?

Not really a new subject but one which I think is worthy of consideration.

I am well aware that the best con-man - is the guy who seems so darned ''normal'' we could be forgiven for being taken in!! Smart, intelligent - almost the ''nice guy next door''.

I wonder tho if we project this to the occasional armed BG then we might get caught out. Probably most bad guys are crude, semi-dumb or totally dumb but the odds could be that here and there is the guy who is (appears) so OK and normal, we'd hardly give him a second glance. If we were to be confronted by such, I wonder how much we might be thrown off guard!

There is naturally a lot to be said for being in a relaxed con' yellow - necessary if we carry in particular but - in the same way as we perceive BG's seeing certain types as potential victims, might we also all but ignore until rather late - the apparently ''nice guy'' BG!!?

Bottom line is what I often preach - ''expect the unexpected''. "Never assume".

Just musing - something I do quite a lot
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Like Tom Cruise in "Collateral."

What do we look for?

Successful fighter pilots use a decision making process called the OODA loop. The anachronism stands for Observe, Orient, Decide, and Act. The goal is to spin the loop fast enough to penetrate the OODA loop of the adversary and win. Training can expedite the observation and orientation. Experience is a key to fast decision making. Effective action requires skill. It can be essential to find the right compromise between deadly hesitation and the speedy action of reckless abandon. Perseverance prevails, sometimes with the help of blind luck.

Observation begins with the scan. Most sheeple in condition white have a 90 degree cone of awareness in front of them, if they are not preoccupied. Sometimes they glance ahead, but they don’t observe. On the other hand, secret service agents are in condition orange and observe their complete sphere with hard scans that would be seen as “over the top” in a convenience store setting.

Avoid staring or undue eye contact which may cause confrontation. Rather use unobtrusive scanning to cover the full circle around you in random cycles. Observe static points of interest quickly and then monitor dynamic changes for things that seem unusual, illogical, or out of place. The static environment assessment looks for avenues of possible attack or escape, obstacles, concealment, and cover. The constant dynamic assessment catalogues moving objects and all individuals. Among people near you, estimate who would be a likely subject of attack and from where it would originate. Note backgrounds that would preclude a shot.

As you assess others, look for their hands and eyes. If you can’t see them, they should be a priority concern. While an angry or troubled person will telegraph his anxiety and assault intent through body language, the danger signs of a stalking predator aren’t as obvious.

Watch for thoracic breathing, especially with an open mouth. Watch for the white of the eye showing above the lower eyelid and a slouched or unkempt appearance. Notice hesitant but unabated movement toward a command position or a victim. Watch for controlled, mechanical, or jerky gestures, especially patting, securing, or protecting hidden objects on their body. Note darting eyes and rearward glances, or frequent eye contact with accomplices or a stationed lookout. Beware anyone who creates a distraction or initiates a conversation with a stranger while approaching them. Steer clear of self-involved but idle groups that just appear to be hanging out.

When waiting in lines, angle your strong side toward the space you leave to the back of the person in front of you. Eye contact with the person behind you should be enough to keep them at a distance.

In public restrooms, always use a locking stall, but the clatter of guns and ammo on the tile is unprofessional. Don’t try to catch a falling gun. Secure it in the cradle of your trousers or on your handbag in front of you, out of sight. Be careful of loose speed loaders or magazines, and remember to take everything with you when you exit.

While brief, initial eye contact will indicate others who are also aware, you still can’t trust even the most well dressed or innocent looking not to be a psychopathic killer. Awareness serves as a beacon to ward off common predators who are assessing you, too. Keep your head up and turning with the nonchalance of calm vigilance. Keep good posture, poise, and balance. Keep your strong hand free and be ready to drop everything if you have to duck for cover. A confident demeanor and purposeful stride will likely keep the bad guys looking to surprise an easier victim.

What are other things we should watch for, and how can we pick out the "normal looking" BG?
    Last edited by gunthorp; June 7th, 2006 at 12:08 PM.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Chris, I think you're talking about the scariest critter of all: The true and natural predator. A sociopath who can still function, at least on the surface, and interact in society without folks tumbling to his true identity. TED BUNDY was such a creature. My studies in criminal justice suggest that there are at least 50 such predators operating in this country at any given time. They usually range over a wide area and often times their activities are sporatic in timing. I'm referring of course to serial killers.

As far as other sorts of predators that seek to pursue easy money, sure there are lots of those around, but I'm not sure they're of a violent nature. The bunko artists, scammers, embezzlers, etc.

But real violence against a sheep is a serious indicator of the sociopath. He might be a killer or a rapist. Certainly the two are linked and certainly one can escalate into the other.....usually from lesser to greater. Even greater abominations can rise from that.

Witness the Dahlmer cannibalism scenario. This guy started out harming animals and progressed to people. That wasn't enough of a rush...so he started having ummmm "dinner" too. But it was all tied into sexual power as the original motivator.

I wonder how many of THAT type of HORROR lurk among us?

I also think that these "creatures" see themselves as being KING of their environment, even if they hold a fairly lower level job or position in society. They probably hold a "personna" or "alter ego" in check until the hunger grows out of control and then they strike. But even in the strike they see ALL of society as placid sheep and they themselves as the maurading wolf. I don't think it is even a remote possibility that the sheepdogs rest among the flock and that is to our advantage. These creatures of incarnate evil probably see the police and all agents of society as pitiful examples of resistance to their "rule." These types of predators are rarely captured...usually because they are very careful in the stalk and the kill. I think it's possible that they are killed more often than they're caught and when that happens the nature of their predatory activities does NOT come out. What do you think?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - I think you have considerable appreciation of this genre!!

Indeed maybe - rarely captured but sometimes ''taken out''.. and yes - the archetypal predator is perhaps a good label!

The old saying - ''all is maybe not what it seems'' is possibly a good thing for us to bear in mind in daily life! I have to remind myself that appearances can sometimes be deceptive.
    Chris - P95

P95, good points, you never know what a BG is going to look like. Just the other day I had an incident, that proves those points.

I went into a store, I frequent regularly, it's a mom and pop store around the corner from my house. The owner know's I carry concealed and has no problem with it, I actually talked him into taking his no guns on premises sign down, but that's another story. When I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a guy, who looked like a thug, using a coat hanger, trying to get into a car.

He was the typical pants down to the knees baggy clothes, ya' know the type, I'm thinking broad daylight, noone would be that bold here. I park my car and go in, the owner looks a little freaked out, I gather up a few items and go to the register, he ask's me if he should call the "cops" I said for what, he said I know you saw that gansta', around the side of the store trying to get in that car. I said yeah, he says when you go out would you mind checking that situation out? I told him just because I carry a gun, doesn't meen I'm a LEO, long story short I've known the owner of this store for 5 years.

So I went out and asked this guy, you need some help? He turned around and said yeah stupid me, locked my keys in the car, upon further inspection, yup keys in the ignition, doors locked, I asked where he got the coat hanger, he said the dry cleaner, across the street. Bottom line this guy may have looked like a thug, but acted like a true gentleman, while I was talking to him a sqaud car pulled up, I guess the store owner decided to call anyway. No problem everything checks out, I offer my ID's as by law I have to in my state, while carrying. The officer, was going to have a towing company dispatched, to get him into his vehicle, I told the officer that I had AAA and would be more than happy to call them and remain on the scene until they arrived. 20 minutes later the vehicle was unlocked, no charge to him.

My AAA picked up the tab, I don't think this guy will forget the guy with the concealed firearm, that looked past his appearance and stopped to help him out. Sorry a long winded story, but just goes to show you, looks are deceiving.

split into paras to aid readability - Chris
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Trust Nobody, but your close relatives and friends.

Jungle Work

Gunthorp, I like the example of the movie COLLATERAL. Cruise's professional hitter is a guy who goes after his target for money but won't hesitate to off ANYBODY who gets in his way...even the innocent cabdriver he forces to help him in his mission. He kills cops, he kills punks, he kills bodyguards....and of course he kills his intended targets. Yet he is educated, well spoken...even SOFT spoken.... Yes...a perfect example.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Intresting thoughts. I try not to make eye contact w/ those I am assessing / observing. 2 days ago, I did make eye contact w/ a customer who was dressed dirty and rough looking. he was actually shopping, but I noticed his heightened awareness. We made eye contact a few times while I was in the area, pretending to shop.
    I would guess he was
    1. ex con
    2. UC narc agent
    3. CCW holder.
    I would be aware of anyone w/ heightened awareness, personally. Funny thing is some of the CCW holders do not look anything like you would guess. I once met 1 buying a pistol in the gun shop. He talked and dressed like Tommy Chong. "Heyyyy dude, let me see that shiny gun , man".
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work
    Trust Nobody, but your close relatives and friends.

Jungle Work
    Close friends, maybe, and only a small cut of the relatives!
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

The nice guy

Others have hit around the few points I was thinking of, such as:
    1. Project strength unless you decide that you must look weak (eye contact to ward off BG intentions unless you want to be the unassuming sheep to gain tactical advantage).
    2. Only trust friends and family.

I'll go one step further. I reserve the highest degree of suspicion to "gangs" and really nice people. The "friendlies" are usually OK, but the ones that try to create an artificial relationship, or stand too close, etc., really raise the hair on the back of my neck.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I try not to judge by appearence, but by their actions. I've known some very pretty "nice" looking girls that were pure evil and would come after you with a pair of garden shears if the mood struck them.

Assistant Administrator
    Oh yes - some good comments, thx - easily showing - ''things are not always as they seem".
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by Agencyman
    Close friends, maybe, and only a small cut of the relatives!
    +1 on the relatives!

Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity
    I try not to judge by appearence, but by their actions. I've known some very pretty "nice" looking girls that were pure evil and would come after you with a pair of garden shears if the mood struck them.
    That is sure the truth.
    I'm trying to think of people I really trust and I come up with my wife and - maybe - one other person. And definitely not relatives. I have several that I wouldn't turn my back on for a moment.

Good post P95.
    As a leo,I try to treat everbody the same.
    But do I trust them to be a good guy?
    Not on my life................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links