Questions asked at VA Clinic

This is a discussion on Questions asked at VA Clinic within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You might want to pass this to everyone that you know,who is a veteran. From a friend who is a veteran: I had a doctor’s ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You might want to pass this to everyone that you know,who is a veteran.

From a friend who is a veteran:

I had a doctor’s appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found something very interesting I would like to pass along...
    While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions.

(1. Did I feel stressed?
    (2. Did I feel threatened?
    (3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?

The nurse then informed me, if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.

Looks like they are going after the vets." Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners as potential terrorists. If you are a veteran, you've been warned. If you know veterans, please pass this on to them.

Are you suggesting that if vets are feeling one or more of those emotions that they lie and don't seek help?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have heard this before and it has been discussed in many places. Although it is frightening and could possibly happen it would be a strict violation of HIPPA. Those questions are asked at every appt I go to so as to check the possibility of PTSD or any other psychological condition. If I was to answer yes I would then be referred to a mental health provider and screened. That still does not mean that the information will be made public.

A quick search reveals that this is an internet myth

VA Screening Vets to Take Away Concealed Carry Permits | Battle of the Bilge

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This is why so many myths are pepetuated on the internet. The questions are intended to detect possible PSTD. No more--no less.

CC Permits are issued/revoked by the state, not Homeland Sec. or the Fed Gov't. Being stressed or threatened are not disqualifying conditions for CWP in the state of FL.

And I'm always stressed and or threatened when I see a doctor; they keep trying to stick me with needles!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrone View Post

I had a doctor’s appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found something very interesting I would like to pass along...
    While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions.

(1. Did I feel stressed?

The nurse then informed me, if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.

Looks like they are going after the vets." Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners as potential terrorists. If you are a veteran, you've been warned. If you know veterans, please pass this on to them.

That is pure BS.

I work for the VA and have for many years. As posted, those are standard questions, related to PTSD. The ONLY way those questions can have any affect on your Second Amendment rights, is if you have been ADJUDICATED mentally deficient, or if you're required to be held by the VA under an Emergency Detention Order, that says you have been found to be a danger to yourself and/or others.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

VIP Member
    I was at a recent VA visit and I do pay close attention to the questions. I know full well, that honest answers is like photo radar. There is no explanation or exceptions to one-off days'. I will not fall into the trap and be bagged and tagged for some future misuse of the information. Remember, this is the federal government!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyrone View Post

(1. Did I feel stressed?

plus they ask if you are easily startled. Of course I said no and that I knew why she asked, she just smiled.

The only time I feel stressed or threatened is when they pull on the exam glove and snap it as they say lets meet and greet Mr. Prostate
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

(1. Did I feel stressed?

... if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.
    I doubt he knows for a fact he would have had it taken from him.

Strange, isn't it? Imagine how many people experience being threatened by others, to the point of getting the police involved to assist, or to the point of activating a restraining order. In such situations of being threatened, one of the most sane and rational steps is to ensure one is armed and capable of surviving any attack on the family. And yet, with such a question, the bureaucratic goal is instead to twist the response to imply a risk future criminality.

Zero tolerance and the bureaucratic mind. Someone should do a study. It's a disease that needs explaining.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OldVet

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This is why so many myths are pepetuated on the internet. The questions are intended to detect possible PSTD. No more--no less.

CC Permits are issued/revoked by the state, not Homeland Sec. or the Fed Gov't. Being stressed or threatened are not disqualifying conditions for CWP in the state of FL.

And I'm always stressed and or threatened when I see a doctor; they keep trying to stick me with needles!
    I'm sure you are almost 100% right. But, I'm also almost 100% sure that our forum members are a little suspicious of the current administration.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I'm sure you are almost 100% right. But, I'm also almost 100% sure that our forum members are a little suspicious of the current administration.
    Paranoia is a terrible thing to waste. I'm suspicious of every administration!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have included a link for a NYS Pistol License for Suffolk County N.Y
    Take a good look at the questions asked.
    http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/forms/PDCS-4406k.pdf

TOF
    I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean they are not out to get me.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Little bit different some of those are standard questions on the yellow sheet also. The difference is "have you be ajudicated or determined to be" mentally deficient and so on. This could only be determined by an MD or court or both, not by an interview at the front desk. Questions regarding housemates is a bit different.
    Many times agencies will use tried and true questions or statements from other agencies or government forms for their own because they have already been reviewed, examined and tested by a higher authority so to speak.
    Was neat info I saved that to show others at home how lucky we are in our paperwork.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Absurd and false!!

If your veteran friend told you this, then he is full of it, or you misunderstood him, or you received an email from an equally uninformed person. This is all from a ridiculous and fabricated email that has been making the rounds, and is now being posted here to make even MORE rounds.

Please see:

RUMOR CONTROL: THE VA IS NOT DISARMING VETERANS -- Viral email makes astoundingly stupid claim that the VA is trying to take guns away from veterans. - VA Watchdog dot Org - 06-04-2009

-Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links