Glock 26 inadvertantly releasing mag?

This is a discussion on Glock 26 inadvertantly releasing mag? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently got a Glock 26. 400 rounds through it and it is so accurate its unbelievable. Only one problem. Several times I've had the mag ...

Thread: Glock 26 inadvertantly releasing mag?

Glock 26 inadvertantly releasing mag?

Recently got a Glock 26. 400 rounds through it and it is so accurate its unbelievable. Only one problem. Several times I've had the mag release the first step while shooting it. Couldn't work out the story. Would do it with standard mags but not 2 round extension one. Realised then with the short mags during recoil somehow the way I was gripping the gun was causing one of my fingers to hit the mag release. With the 2 round extender you get 3 fingers on the grip so it didn't happen.

Sort of figured a way of holding it now to stop it happening. Not ideal though if the you know what hits the fan and you need it in a hurry. Anyone else had this problem with G26's. I'm a lefty ( southpaw you guys over the atlantic call). Maybe some grip mod might help. Love the gun, great groups but this is a little disconcerting.

2. Remove Ads

Hmmm....is this a new gun or used gun?

Two thoughts:
    1--adjust your grip so as to not engage the mag release.

2--replace your mag release spring either with another stock spring (if a used gun) or a stronger spring (if new)...

FYI...I'm not a Glock guy...just something to think about.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Perhaps a "Glock sock" type of slip-over grip enhancer will move your hand far enough away from the mag release.

If your G26 has an ambidextrous mag release (some models do/did), and you're comfortable using the starboard button, maybe just file down the height of the port-side button you're inadvertantly bumping.

But before you get out the tools...

It takes a pretty deliberate press on the mag release to get the mag free. I'm wondering if either the mag catch in the gun or the mags you're using are dimensionally off, so the mag isn't being fully engaged by the catch. There may be something on the butt of the grip as well which hinders the standard mags from seating all the way. Also, do you seat the mags with a good whack, or do you just press them in until you hear a click? If the latter, then try the former and see if it helps.

If you load a standard mag a few rounds short of full, and seat it, does the problem still occur? Putting it differently, does the standard mag release accidentally only on the first round or two from a full mag? If so, then that also points to the mag catch not fully engaging the magazine, the cause of which needs to be determined.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If the suggestions above don't work, try doing a thorough cleaning of the gun and the mags.

Sometimes a little grud can work it's way in to the mag release button and cause havoc with semi autos.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks for the response. Its a brand new gun. It is ambidexdrous and strangely dosen't do it with the 2 round extension.ie 3 fingers on grip so I'm thinking it may be an ergonomic issue. Loosing that left release might be a good move. Gonna try another mag (new) and see if makes a difference.

The joys of being a lefty!!!

Links