Laser for small sighted guns

This is a discussion on Laser for small sighted guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Taurus .380 TCP and love the little gun. Ammo around here is not hard to come by or that expensive like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar

I recently purchased a Taurus .380 TCP and love the little gun. Ammo around here is not hard to come by or that expensive like I thought it would be. I know alot people do not like these little guns for numerous reasons but that is not the case with me. I know these little things were meant for "belly guns" or very close combat situations. The sights are a bit tough to get a sight picture with and know thats how there made because they are a point and shoot pistol. However I was wondering if there are any lasers made for them that aren't $300 or cost more than what I paid for the gun. There may be a time its all I have with me and have to shoot further than 7-10'. Any ideas or suggestions?

S&w 642

Mine is a tad larger - but I carry a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace. Works well.

I have a LaserMax in my SA XD40 SC and love it. I use it as a tool, which will aid me in certain circumstances. You have to still practice with your sights and point shooting.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

All my defensive hand guns are laser equiped. It makes perfect sense to me. Older eyes especially may need some help.
    I use Crimson Trace all the way, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by golfer; May 7th, 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Add info

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    I recently purchased a Taurus .380 TCP and love the little gun. Ammo around here is not hard to come by or that expensive like I thought it would be. I know alot people do not like these little guns for numerous reasons but that is not the case with me. I know these little things were meant for "belly guns" or very close combat situations. The sights are a bit tough to get a sight picture with and know thats how there made because they are a point and shoot pistol. However I was wondering if there are any lasers made for them that aren't $300 or cost more than what I paid for the gun. There may be a time its all I have with me and have to shoot further than 7-10'. Any ideas or suggestions?

Crimson Trace is coming out with a model for the Taurus .380 TCP.... and it will sell for $209.

Laser Sights For Taurus Pistols | Crimson Trace Laser Grips

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    All my defensive hand guns are laser equiped. It makes perfect sense to me. Older eyes especially may need some help.
    I use Crimson Trace all the way, your mileage may vary.
    I was impressed the first time shooting 'blind" (left my glasses home) my wife's 442 with CT. Darn, I'd hit the target at 25 yards without a problem. With iron sights ten yards was a challenge - everything was a blur.

I'm in a process of installing lasers to all my carry guns. It's going to be darn expensive, though.

I put Trijicon self-luminous night sights on my glock 33 and found that they are all I need. Even in just dim light They still illuminate enough to line them up easily on whatever the target is. In near total darkness they are wonderful! No laser needed for me.

My $.02
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

You may want to save your money Colby. While I agree on Taurus as a great, affordable brand, lasers have very little real-life utility (unless your on a SWAT entry team): Just imagine even THINKING, much less having the time, to align a tiny jumping red dot on a BG's center of mass while pulling the trigger, especially during daylight...

-Bill

Duke; don't overlook those times when your sights are totaly washed out by sunlight and you can't make them out. I have veen in that situation [in practice] and put the laser to good use.
    Droopy; you are making an error in yout thought process. That light dancing around is exactly, yes exactly what your sights are doing. You can't see it because they are not as precise as the laser.
    If you folks will think about it, there can be many times when you can't access your sights, or can't see them. The laser works very well.
    I don't advocate replacing your sights with a laser on you defensive weapon, but IMO, no definsive pistol should be without night sights or a laser that can be controled to turn off or on at will.
    The laser is becoming the sight of choice in pistol competition where they are allowed. You can access the target quicker and fire faster and even from positions where you can't or don't want to access your sights.
    The laser can save your life.

I put CTs on the wife's LCR and they make quite an improvement. Think of them as just another tool. You have not lost anything, just gained something additional.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Cowboy: You asked your question and then, IMO, you answered it when you mentioned that it is a close in "belly gun". Hey to each his own and many members have lasers on just about anything they own, but if you truly believe that your chosen firearm is as you described it, why not try point shooting before you spend any money on a laser. Go down to the "tactics" subject on this forum and there is a thread on point shooting. For a 380, if the laser makes you "feel better"about your circumstance vis a vis self protection have at it, but point shooting is what really counts when fractions of a second are involved in close (say under 10-15 ft) encounters. Acquiring a sight or a laser in that close in situation takes time (albeit fractions of a second)--this is eliminated in point shooting and, with practice, can be a more effective alternative when you are CCing a small 380.

To all of you who bad mouth lasers it would do you good to go to a range that has guns with laser grips for rent and rent the same gun you carry that has laser grips. You might find that you change your opinion. They are great for dryfiring and learning proper trigger control. If the laser is all over the place your sights are also all over the place. Yes you should also learn to use your sights. You may also find that your groups will tighten while using lasers.

Lasers or night sights make a lot of sense for a defensive pistol, which is more likely to be needed in dark or low light situations. I've got one on my PF-9 and plan to get one for my MP40c.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    You may want to save your money Colby. While I agree on Taurus as a great, affordable brand, lasers have very little real-life utility (unless your on a SWAT entry team): Just imagine even THINKING, much less having the time, to align a tiny jumping red dot on a BG's center of mass while pulling the trigger, especially during daylight...

-Bill
    I have to disagree on this one what takes longer, pull my P3AT out of my pocket holster, raise to eye level, find the proper sight picture, (already a chore with the small sights)and pull the trigger. Or Pull it out . place the red dot on BG's chest , pull the trigger. Im not saying that you should forget or not learn to use your sights,every one that carrys should be proficient with them,but If given the option, I think at least 95% of the people who have used the crimson trace grips dont want to be without them. Buy them when they become available you wont be disappointed.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    I think at least 95% of the people who have used the crimson trace grips dont want to be without them.
    I'm certain this is true.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links