"Just don't shoot me, okay?"

This is a discussion on "Just don't shoot me, okay?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in a car accident a while back and it was serious enough for the CA Highway Patrol to roll out to the scene. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Just don't shoot me, okay?"

I was in a car accident a while back and it was serious enough for the CA Highway Patrol to roll out to the scene. No injuries, but some really bad traffic was created. Here in Cali we are required to inform LEOs that we are CC'ing. I wasn't all too happy about this because the Highway Patrol is notorious for not knowing diddly squat about the CCW laws. There was an incident not too long ago where a man was almost taken to jail despite having his CCW and it was only avoided after the officer, his supervisor and the supervisorís supervisor finally came to the consensus that it was legal to carry a firearm if you had a CCW.

So the officer asks me for my ID, insurance and registration and I give him all three along with my CCW. I told him that I did have a loaded pistol in my car. He took a look at my CCw, glanced at me as if to size me up and then blurts out, "Why the does an insurance agent need a CCW?" Since I didn't feel like this would be the appropriate time to discuss the constitutionality of carrying a gun and the usurption of my rights by the government of California I merely said something cheesy like, "Uhhhh, for my protection sir." He looked at me like I was stuck on stupid and simply said, "just donít shoot me, okay? Now, how did the accident happen...?"

"Yes sir...er...I mean...no sir...er... I mean...I was in the fast lane when the other guy..."
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Is it a rule amongst BG's that Insurance Agent's are exempt from being victims? I was not aware of this. (extreme sarcasm)

VIP Member
    "Stuck on stupid" - LOL - I'd like to borrow that one with your permission.

There's no shame in taking the path of least resistance, as frustrating as it is sometimes. Like the saying goes: "You can be right, or you can be successful". Sometimes you gotta pick your battles.

Are ALL Commiefornia Cops THAT stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    "Stuck on stupid" - LOL - I'd like to borrow that one with your permission.

There's no shame in taking the path of least resistance, as frustrating as it is sometimes. Like the saying goes: "You can be right, or you can be successful". Sometimes you gotta pick your battles.
    By all means. I haven't trademarked the phrase yet, but I do use it pretty frequently. Most Californians are deserving of the description!

Quote Originally Posted by r0rtiz View Post
    He took a look at my CCw, glanced at me as if to size me up and then blurts out, "Why the does an insurance agent need a CCW?"
    I'd bet that using profanity is against agency policy.

He's there to enforce the law, not be a foul mouthed buffoon.

Don't get mad, get even and report him.

Commiefornia for ya lol. I lived there for 3 years...nice place to visit tons of stuff to see..id NEVER in my life want to or be willing to live there long term.

The first 52 years of my life were spent in the SF Bay Area. For much of that time I didn't know any better but as I aged I also gained some intelligence and when an opportunity came for me to transfer back East I took advantage of the opportunity. My first 6 years in the land of seasons was in Maryland, another politically backward State that's not much different from California except for the snow. I was then asked to transfer to West Virginia... what a difference. After being here for 7 years I consider myself an honorary Hillbilly, and proud of it. I'll be retiring next year, and here's the point of this long and boring story, my son and his family still live in California. He'd love nothing better than to have me regain my California citizenship BUT IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. Nevada is only 3 hours away and they believe in 2A. I see my future in Carson City. A wonderful place to retire.
    Vietnam Veterans of America - Life Member
    NRA - Life Member / GOA - Life Member
    SAF - Life Member / AzCDL - Life Member
    Avid motorcyclist for over 50 years.

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I'd bet that using profanity is against agency policy.

He's there to enforce the law, not be a foul mouthed buffoon.

Don't get mad, get even and report him.
    Well, I totally agree with you. However, his language wasn't too strong for me. I just did not want to post against the forum rules. It was one of the more mild 4 letter words (the opposite of heaven). Maybe I have been desensitized, but I wasn’t too bothered by the language. I was just glad that it didn’t turn into the fiasco that I feared it would. I still cannot believe that they almost arrested a man because the three officers couldn’t figure out if it was legal to carry a loaded gun with a CCW.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Quote Originally Posted by r0rtiz View Post
    Well, I totally agree with you. However, his language wasn't too strong for me. I just did not want to post against the forum rules. It was one of the more mild 4 letter words (the opposite of heaven). Maybe I have been desensitized, but I wasnít too bothered by the language. I was just glad that it didnít turn into the fiasco that I feared it would. I still cannot believe that they almost arrested a man because the three officers couldnít figure out if it was legal to carry a loaded gun with a CCW.
    You were offended. Tell his boss so.

(1) I wonder if CA officers don't know how to handle concealed carry licensees because they encouter them so rarely?

(2) Given your description of your interaction with the officer, I hope he now has a good, memorable experience -- one that he might share with fellow officers -- of how dealing with a concealed carry licensee is a non-issue.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

dhm

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I'm guessing his demeanor did not indicate to you that he was employing humor or simple unfamiliarity with CCW, but rather some hostility of a degree, that you were so brash as to take on one of the icons afforded to the constabulatory.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I like that too... "Stuck on stupid."

Anyway, sounds to me like someone (the officer) needs to be educated. Bad things happen to good people, firefights dont just happen to LE and military.

For a CA cop stopping you with your legal CCW license and weapon, you did quite well. There is really no reason to report that LEO: After all, it's not like Kalifornia is a free state like 90% of the rest of the country. The concept of true gun rights in CA is, and has been for some time, quite foreign to most of their population, including LEOs.

As you say, a lot of bad things could have happened to you during that stop if that officer had been a hard-nose, or a rookie, or just woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Kalifornia is a political world all unto its own.

-Bill (who lived in CA for forty years)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links