LEO Encounter, Did He "Make" Me?

This is a discussion on LEO Encounter, Did He "Make" Me? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, Carrying for almost two weeks now and had a "minor" LEO encounter, here's what happened. I had to deposit $200 in cash from my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO Encounter, Did He "Make" Me?

Well,

Carrying for almost two weeks now and had a "minor" LEO encounter, here's what happened.

I had to deposit $200 in cash from my second job and went to the supermarket down my street. They have LEO's working there in uniform (second jobs for them too). The LEO on duty was leaning up against his patrol car at the door taking in the nice evening. I had to walk right by him going in and out. It was real breezy, almost windy and I was of course concerned that my loose polo shirt would blow up and expose my Glock resulting in a "HANDS ON THE CAR" or something like that with resulting embarrassment on my part.

I walked by him with my firearm on my right and him on my left, everything was Ok of course. I gave him my standard LEO greeting; "Thanks for serving our community officer". He smiled and said thanks.

Coming back out of the store from the ATM I was strong side toward him and the wind had kicked up. I was very close to having my shirt blow up, and at the moment I walked by him the LEO gave me the "once over". I was freaking "inside" I was sure I was "printing". But he just smiled and gave me a nod.

I don't know if he noted that I was carrying and figured I was legal since I went to the ATM and deposited 10 $20 bills (Obviously someone that needed to "carry"). Or that the once over was cursory and he didn't see my handgun printing.

To say the least that got my heart going for a few seconds. But now that I am past it I feel better about my IWB holster and baby Glock combo being well concealed.

What do you all think, anyone have a similar experience? It was interesting for me.
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

VIP Member
    The mind can mess you up; maybe he did and maybe he didn't. you'll get used to it.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    If you're concerned about your mode of carry sucking, then fix it. If all it takes is the wind to reveal to the world that you are carrying a gun, then do something about it. Don't leave yourself open to chance encounters that might get you in some trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    If you're concerned about your mode of carry sucking, then fix it. If all it takes is the wind to reveal to the world that you are carrying a gun, then do something about it. Don't leave yourself open to chance encounters that might get you in some trouble.
    Thanks, my IWB is real good, I had a long shirt on, it was primarily black and the holster was a deep as I can carry it IWB and My glock is a subcompact 33. I was only worried about the breeze.

That strong breeze would challenge anyones summer "rig", IWB, IWB Tucked, etc. The encounter was a confidence builder for me.
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

the only reason you should be worried when carrying a firearm near leo is if your doing so illeagaly. valid permit, carrying in leagal carry zone, properly concealed weapon, nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    the only reason you should be worried when carrying a firearm near leo is if your doing so illeagaly. valid permit, carrying in leagal carry zone, properly concealed weapon, nothing to worry about.
    +1 Some times it takes a while to realize that you aren't doing anything wrong.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Pay attention to your dress, holster, etc. Don't get overly concerned -- but get a second opinion from a trusted spouse/friend/etc. if you aren't sure how concealed you are. I think you will find you are far more concealed than you think.

Remember that printing (we don't want to do it) is still concealed. We all (even those with no guns) have cell phones and multi-tools on our belts.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    This is a sign of niavety. Police don't universally think we're all good guys. Bad things have happened before. People have been drawn on, law abiding citizens, for carrying poorly.

If you're going to conceal, do it right. If you're going to conceal like a slob, then just open carry.

You worry too much!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Even if the wind had exposed your gun that would not have been a problem. The officer might have asked to see your HCP but that would have been it.

You can carry open, concealed, or printing like a newspaper in Tennessee as long as you have the HCP.

As the others have said, don't worry so much.

When I first started to carry, I always thought I was printing for sure and that everyone around me could tell I was carrying. After I got comfortable I realized that I wasn't ever really printing and even if it happened occasionally people just aren't paying attention. My wife knows that I always carry, home or away, yet on occasion she has asked, with an air of surprise, are you not carrying? Even though she knows it's there and is looking, she just cant tell.

Isn't TN an open carry state anyway?....similar to VA....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Unless you were on fire, the cop didn't notice you. He "sees" a couple thousand people a day.

Don't worry so much.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Even if the wind had exposed your gun that would not have been a problem. The officer might have asked to see your HCP but that would have been it.

You can carry open, concealed, or printing like a newspaper in Tennessee as long as you have the HCP.

As the others have said, don't worry so much.
    +1 I live in MO which is technically an open carry state but some of the cities don't allow open carry but most do so I don't worry much. The newness wears off. I don't open carry unless I'm hunting or something because people are freaks. I used to open carry my .357 when I live in CO and one day my little girl neighbor next door goes running to her parent's yelling "He's got a gun!" Sounded bad even to me but I was just walking up the stairs to my apt lol.

Sometimes I hear those little voices in my head, "They can see it..." "You're printing, bulging..." But then I just tell myself to relax. Before we all started carrying, I bet 99% of the time we didnt scan people looking for a concealed ANYTHING. And if someone does "make us" I doubt theyll say anything or just chalk it up to a cell phone.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links