Why I don't carry a gun...

This is a discussion on Why I don't carry a gun... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A man's got to know his limitations....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't carry a gun...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A man's got to know his limitations.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

He is RIGHT. He realized that he was not competent and chooses not to carry. I have no problem with that. Just don't extend that fear to MY right to carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    He is RIGHT. He realized that he was not competent and chooses not to carry. I have no problem with that. Just don't extend that fear to MY right to carry.
    Bingo!

1) It was the fool not the tool!

2) The plural of anecdote isn't evidence, so a single anecdote is meaningless beyond the player(s) in that case.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Suppose he thinks it is asking to much of himself to grow up and carry responsibly.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    A GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED UNTIL YOU VERIFY THAT IT IS NOT, EVERY TIME!
    Even when it's unloaded, it's still loaded!

Or in other words, I understand the gun is unloaded, but don't point at me, okay?
    Knowing is half the battle.

He's absolutely right...HE should never carry a gun until he's taken a couple of handgun safety courses. He goes out and gets a little inebriated, then comes back to his hotel room and starts practicing drawing WITH A LOADED HANDGUN. He's VERY lucky he didn't kill himself or somebody else.

There are accidental discharges, negligent discharges, and STUPID discharges. Let's put this one in the third category.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Something bad happened. Must be the guns fault!

BTW -- as he got older did he gain weight, as many of us do? Did he quite using forks?

Did he ever have a fender-bender? Quit driving?

It's a bad mechanic that blames his tools.
    I like this^^^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I'll confirm with him since it seems to have caused some confusion but I don't believe he had been drinking. I think his reference to happy hour was that, after the ND, a drink would have been welcome. He doesn't have any problem with anyone else carrying. But, as has been pointed out above, he didn't get right back on the horse, as it were, so his personal choice is not to.

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    He mentioned it immediately after his comment about his "diminished mental state". I believe he meant that he partook.
    I believed the "diminished mental state" was in relation to "All I could hear was a constant ringing in my right ear. I thought for a second I had shot my fool head! Fortunately, I did not. My knees buckled..." and that he really thought he was going to be arrested for an illegal gun and shooting the wall of the hotel.

In re-reading it, you might be right that he was drinking as he did mention it directly after mentioning his state.

Regardless, the guy is an idiot and should either learn to use a gun properly and safely or not touch another one. I'll go with "yes" for this story.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Practice your draw, I can t tell you how many times i ve heard that. It is usally followed up with a story similar to this. Training, Dont train in the Motel room in NYC. Professional Training should get this out of you. It seems to me that this is either a confidence level thing or just Playing around, and we don t play with Guns!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Stories similar to this one ring out quite often. In fact, that so-called muscle memory doesnít always work. As Iíve aged, I learned that my visual acuity and cognitive skills are less than before. Itís the normal degeneration that we will all face whether we care to admit it or not.

This is why many long-standing auto-loader fanatics tend to revert back to revolvers in the winter of their lives. Yes, this includes me. As a former soldier I loved my guns but I acquired a neurological condition that stunted my skills to a lesser extent, but enough to recognize this fact.
    Same experience.
    30 years in USMC, carried semi-auto pistol most of those years.

Turned 65, switched from 1911s and Glocks to J-Frame. A whole lot less to remember and mind to muscle has just slowed down too much for complicated drills.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Same experience.
    30 years in USMC, carried semi-auto pistol most of those years.

Turned 65, switched from 1911s and Glocks to J-Frame. A whole lot less to remember and mind to muscle has just slowed down too much for complicated drills.
    My only problem with switching back to a revolver is: At 65 and after carrying a 1911 for 44 years, I would forever be trying to find the non existant saftey on that revolver!!
    NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    There are accidental discharges, negligent discharges, and STUPID discharges. Let's put this one in the third category.
    Accidental Discharges do not exist with modern fire arms. Accidental Discharge are a myth perpetuated by irresponsible incompetent morons who refuse to accept responsibility for their negligence. Modern firearms do not fire because they are dropped, bumped, bang into something or exposed to an errant spark. A discharge from one of those things would be an accidental discharge those things DO NOT happen with modern firearms
    There are Intentional Deliberate Discharges and NEGLIGENT Discharges. Intentional Discharges is what all responsible shooters do when they deliberately point a weapon at an intended target and squeeze the trigger. Negligent Discharges cover stupid irresponsible intoxicated untrained ignorant unintended discharges. No need to complicate things. It is stupid simple.
    1. All guns are loaded
    2. Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy
    3. Never put your finger on the trigger until you have acquired your target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it
    Doing anything other than those four things is Negligent
    Keep It Simple. There is no need to understand explain or make excuses for irresponsible stupid behavior. Whenever a firearm is discharged it is either an intentional discharge or a negligent discharge, period
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Accidental Discharges do not exist with modern fire arms. Accidental Discharge are a myth perpetuated by irresponsible incompetent morons who refuse to accept responsibility for their negligence. Modern firearms do not fire because they are dropped, bumped, bang into something or exposed to an errant spark. A discharge from one of those things would be an accidental discharge those things DO NOT happen with modern firearms
    There are Intentional Deliberate Discharges and NEGLIGENT Discharges. Intentional Discharges is what all responsible shooters do when they deliberately point a weapon at an intended target and squeeze the trigger. Negligent Discharges cover stupid irresponsible intoxicated untrained ignorant unintended discharges. No need to complicate things. It is stupid simple.
    1. All guns are loaded
    2. Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy
    3. Never put your finger on the trigger until you have acquired your target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it
    Doing anything other than those four things is Negligent
    Keep It Simple. There is no need to understand explain or make excuses for irresponsible stupid behavior. Whenever a firearm is discharged it is either an intentional discharge or a negligent discharge, period
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    It's funny how sometimes people can forget the basic rules of firearm safety. A friend of mine managed to shoot his vette with his HK 91. He checked the chamber to make sure the gun was empty but apparently there was a round in the magazine and when he released the bolt, viola the gun was loaded. He proceeded to pull the trigger (for what reason I do not know) and shot the concrete in his garage and it bounced up into his 05' vette right behind the headlight. Guess next time I have him out to go shooting I will be watching him very closely.

"honeeeeeyyyy, what was that?"

"nothing dear, i just shot my damn car"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links