Why I don't carry a gun... - Page 3

Why I don't carry a gun...

This is a discussion on Why I don't carry a gun... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1) take mag out 2) rack slide and catch round coming out 3) look into chamber 4) rack slide 3 times 5) look in chamber ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I don't carry a gun...

1) take mag out
    2) rack slide and catch round coming out
    3) look into chamber
    4) rack slide 3 times
    5) look in chamber again
    6) do the finger test
    7) look in chamber again
    8) drop slide
    9) dryfire in safe direction

I always always always do the exact same thing EVERY time I am going to handle my gun or do some dryfire practice. If I have already done some, but have set my gun down for any period of time when I am ready to go again I repeat 4-9.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

The person detailed by the OP to my view, 26 yrs. ago!, showed what happens when one has too little mental maturity as related to the task.

It matters not his chronological age as he could have been 40 then and is 66 now.
    The fact remains he made multiple errors and gaffes (not just the ND) as related to mental maturity.

His first mistake was 'forgetting' that he was wearing a gun...A shoulder holstered full size 1911 at that (difficult to not realize is there)...As on his way to never mind actually being at the airport and in line moments away from t he metal detector.

Soon as I'd read that I figured this was going to go south....And it did.

Carry is not for everyone.

IMHO it requires a degree of maturity above and beyond simply knowing how to drop the mag, toggle the trigger and the proper steps toward how to clear a gun.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    ...to repair the what now appeared to be a whole the size of a moon crater in my diminished mental state (Did I mention the really nice happy hour they had down stairs?).
    The parenthetical reference to "really nice happy hour" immediately follows "diminished mental state" and is part of the same sentence. He was drunk.

Boozed up and handling a firearm? No surprises here. He was wise to pounce on that bonafide "Jesus-miracle" of a second chance and never touch a firearm again. No man is personally equipped to handle everything. There's no shame in it; each of us has his own limitations.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

A few comments from the person this happened to:

"My dminished mental state was the result of nearly shooting myself. After I got back on my feet, I needed the happy hour. I always knew that guns and booze don't mix.

I don't blame the gun, I blamed myself for not making certain it was not loaded.

I have no problem with someone else carrying, it is a constitutional right!

I keep a weapon in my home and in my car. I still have a license to carry, but choose not to carry it on my person at all times. When I feel the need, I carry.

I have taken gun safety courses and go to the firing range every month and have acreage where I can practice shooting legally.

And, most importantly, I do know my limitations."

And, most importantly, I do know my limitations
    Maybe the most important thing. Good for you.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

I won't even comment on the shooting incident, many have already given good advice about how that could have been prevented. What about the blatant disregard for the law? This is why lawyers have such a bad reputation! It was illegal to carry in NY (but he did anyway) Worse than that was the fact that he decided to cover up the hole in the ceiling and hide the whole incident. I can see exactly where he takes his clients in court. (unless he has changed his shady ways) I'm glad he doesn't carry. I wouldn't feel safe with him around physically or legally.

A man's got to know his limitations
    That's a very good insight. Just because we chose handguns for SD and are comfortable with them, others may not be - and sooner or later you have to stop doing anything that frightens you or you don't trust yourself with. And for this guy, he's had it - the point was reached.

So he can still learn other SD techniques and tools if he has an interest in SD. Ultimately, if he's more comfortable that way and trusts himself this way, then it's a good choice for him. They could be effective. A gun that scares you all the time, good chance if you needed it you'd screw up somehow.

Why I don't carry a gun...

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    No way
    Oh wait, that's in NYC, and it's probably $1000 per day.

Typical ND occurring from disregarded safety factors
    They have very small rooms. I stayed there for a wedding and luckily it was covered by my wife's cousin (the groom). $350/night.

As for practice, I take the mag out, empty the chamber and put an empty mag in my gun. Then I go to the other room, recheck the chamber and double/triple check that I am empty. THEN and only then when I am certain it is empty that I practice drawing and dry fire drills.

Your friend's experience is a sobering one. He mentioned that he had a 45. I presume it was a 1911 (at that time in 1984) since all of the polymers were born in the 90s (could have been a S&W also) - so he was cocked and not locked when he practiced. I have to wonder if he was drinking when this happened.

Luckily, no one got killed or hurt. He did not follow the basics of gun safety. He was fearful of his abilities and his fundamental knowledge that he gave up the right to bear arms. Rather than learn to follow protocol and the irrational fear to learn from this mistake, he chose to stop carrying.

Good story but these things happen all the time. Many die or kill someone accidentally with similar experiences. Having the license is a privilege and like learning any skill, the proper training, safety, knowledge and tactics are what make you a safer and smarter citizen.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    A GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED UNTIL YOU VERIFY THAT IT IS NOT, EVERY TIME!

DON'T POINT A WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO KILL.

KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT SOMETHING.
    Until you learn that, know it by heart, and do it everytime you pick up that firearm, you should not be carrying that weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    A few comments from the person this happened to:

I keep a weapon in my home and in my car. I still have a license to carry, but choose not to carry it on my person at all times. When I feel the need, I carry.

Apparently he is still making bad decisions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links