Why I don't carry a gun...

This is a discussion on Why I don't carry a gun... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend is a successful civil trial attorney. He knows and respects the fact that I carry. I suppose that is what prompted his story, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't carry a gun...

My friend is a successful civil trial attorney. He knows and respects the fact that I carry. I suppose that is what prompted his story, which he kindly granted me permission to share, although without attribution. I share it because I enjoyed the story and hope others might, while reinforcing a safety lesson. I take two things away from the story: this type of ND has been shared in this forum before but safety lessons can't be repeated too often (how often do you confirm to yourself when emptying out your EDC that you do, indeed, have a safe and empty gun?) and that it is not Firearms for Dummies that is needed but good and ongoing practice to become proficient. It's a shame he gave up carrying rather than getting the training that would let him continue.

Here is his story:
    I used to carry when I was in banking. I put the old pistola away (at least for carrying) following a trip to New York in 1984. I had a permit but it was not legal in NY but I had forgotten I had the gun on me when I went to the airport. I realized it as I came to the security (yes they had the metal detectors then) gate.

I put the gun in my suitcase and checked it as baggage (they were not looking at baggage then). When I got to NY I thought it would be stupid not to wear it in the most dangerous city in my travels.

So, I put the shoulder holster on and decided to practice a little quick draw to make certain I could get to it through my top coat (never considered this back home). Well the practice session in my hotel room abrubtly ended when the gun went off right by my right ear (I took the magazine out before practice --- damn chamber -- I forgot about that one). Do you have any idea what a 45 caliber bullet sounds like when it goes off in an 8 x 8' hotel room? It is loud, very, very loud! All I could hear was a constant ringing in my right ear. I thought for a second I had shot my fool head! Fortunately, I did not. My knees buckled as I dropped the Colt and my body to the floor by the bed and waited. I waited for the ringing to stop and the police to arrive. They never did. In NY they really don't care what you do in the privacy of your room so long as you hurt only yourself.

I surveyed the room and noticed a significant hole in the wall (thanks to the hollow point bullet). I grew concerned that maybe I shot someone in the next room. I climbed up on the bed and peered through the newly formed cavity. Fortunately a firewall stopped the speeding bullet.

I thought about just calling the desk and telling them there had been a "little problem" and offer to pay the damage. Fortunately, reality set in. This was NY! It would require the services of an architect, interior designer, decorator, painter, plasterer and wall paperer (all union) to repair the what now appeared to be a whole the size of a moon crater in my diminished mental state (Did I mention the really nice happy hour they had down stairs?). Then I considered the possible criminal penalty for even carrying an unlicensed weapon (the phrase I would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six had no value to my situation). Finally the fog cleared. I noticed the wall paper extended below the kickboard along the wall. I pulled the board back and cut a square of wall paper from the wall. I next cut out the wall paper sample around the whole in the wall. Now for an adhesive -- I could only think of the Crest toothpaste in my travel kit (good for cavities right?). It worked! Other than the slight bulge that appeared as a result of the camera flash (yes, I took a picture -- I was now feeling proud about my ingenuity; besides, who would believe all this without a picture) you could not tell the original from the repair. I stayed the rest of the week and the repair stayed and I never got any nasty letter from the Waldorf.

This is the first time I've ever mentioned the hotel, but after 26 years, I believe all criminal and civil statutes of limitations have expired. Glad to get this off my chest. I feel better now. I may try to book this room on my next trip. I will boldly tell them why I have such affection for the room and I can laugh with the hotel -- or not. I never carried again. It just not something some people should do unless they come out with a book "Pistols for Dummies'.

Well it sounds to me like it scared him pretty bad but in the wrong direction. When I was 17 I got into a bad car accident and nearly killed my girlfriend. I took me a long time to get over it and I still after almost a decade and a half I still get chills when I drive through that intersection.
    point is he should have just counted his blessings and got back behind the wheel with a whole new attitude for gun safety.

Quote Originally Posted by subcool20 View Post
    Well it sounds to me like it scared him pretty bad but in the wrong direction. When I was 17 I got into a bad car accident and nearly killed my girlfriend. I took me a long time to get over it and I still after almost a decade and a half I still get chills when I drive through that intersection.
    point is he should have just counted his blessings and got back behind the wheel with a whole new attitude for gun safety.
    Absolutely correct.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Or to play devils advocate here, perhaps he realized that he was not yet ready to carry a firearm, ignoring the laws of where he was carrying, and practicing "quick draws" in the hotel room with a loaded weapon. Now years later, hopefully he has developed enough maturity that if it were his choice he could do so without issue and a great respect for the responsibility and power of the firearm, and would be conscious of it.

It's funny how sometimes people can forget the basic rules of firearm safety. A friend of mine managed to shoot his vette with his HK 91. He checked the chamber to make sure the gun was empty but apparently there was a round in the magazine and when he released the bolt, viola the gun was loaded. He proceeded to pull the trigger (for what reason I do not know) and shot the concrete in his garage and it bounced up into his 05' vette right behind the headlight. Guess next time I have him out to go shooting I will be watching him very closely.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

I agree with subcool20...

The person in your story recognized he was dangerous with a firearm, and rather than turning around and getting proper training, it seems he's blaming the gun...rather than the booger hook on the bang switch...

So is the ND the only reason he won't carry?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Or to play devils advocate here, perhaps he realized that he was not yet ready to carry a firearm, ignoring the laws of where he was carrying, and practicing "quick draws" in the hotel room with a loaded weapon. Now years later, hopefully he has developed enough maturity that if it were his choice he could do so without issue and a great respect for the responsibility and power of the firearm, and would be conscious of it.
    In his story he also stated the nice 'happy hour' he partook of as well.
    Seems to me he was no where near mature or disciplined enough to carry a firearm. He did realize that.

This is what I believe to be the problem with most anti's.......thier scared of themselves with a gun or just flat-out don't have any real working knowledge/experience to go by....therefore all guns and people who carry are bad. Now, although this gentleman may not be an 'anti', he hasn't learned enough to trust himself and stop the behavior that got him into 'trouble'.....thus him carrying a gun is bad.

That's what I'm seeing in this story anyway.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    Do you have any idea what a 45 caliber bullet sounds like when it goes off in an 8 x 8' hotel room? It is loud, very, very loud!
    No way
    Oh wait, that's in NYC, and it's probably $1000 per day.

Typical ND occurring from disregarded safety factors
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member

It's the tools fault!

Something bad happened. Must be the guns fault!

BTW -- as he got older did he gain weight, as many of us do? Did he quite using forks?

Did he ever have a fender-bender? Quit driving?

It's a bad mechanic that blames his tools.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Like all things in life that does not go as you expected, you must get back on the horse as soon as you can, or else doubt and fear will set in and over power the mind.

I was a paratrooper in the service and if you became a towed jumper (chute did not deploy and you are hanging out the door until you are dragged in), unless you are injured, you are immediately placed on the next bird and forced to jump. If you refuse, you lose your jump status. This is done so that fear will not take hold and you lose your never to jump again.

Yes, this may sound harsh but it works and weeds out the ones that have lost their nerve. Last thing we want is for a paratrooper to freeze in the door on a combat jump and hold back a plane full of soldiers from hitting their target.

Same goes here with this gentleman. Even if he decided to still carry, he should have gone to the range and practice as soon as he could. Last thing he wants is to freeze when he does have to pull that weapon for real.
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: Psalm 111:10

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    In his story he also stated the nice 'happy hour' he partook of as well.
    Seems to me he was no where near mature or disciplined enough to carry a firearm. He did realize that.
    Reading comprehension. He said nothing of the "happy hour" that he partook. He said "they" were having a nice "happy hour". I presume he mentioned it to explain why nobody came up to check it out. They simply didn't hear it.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

A GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED UNTIL YOU VERIFY THAT IT IS NOT, EVERY TIME!

DON'T POINT A WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO KILL.

KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT SOMETHING.

I'm getting old, but I still remember the basics!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    Reading comprehension. He said nothing of the "happy hour" that he partook. He said "they" were having a nice "happy hour". I presume he mentioned it to explain why nobody came up to check it out. They simply didn't hear it.
    He mentioned it immediately after his comment about his "diminished mental state". I believe he meant that he partook.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    There's always been knee jerk reactions to bad experiences, but it has been like gmark's friend. Not so with the Brady Bunch. But I guess, more importantly, why do people allow one person's bad experience turn them against fundamental rights and principles like the Constitution and 2A? And why do we allow them a pulpit?

VIP Member
    Stories similar to this one ring out quite often. In fact, that so-called muscle memory doesn’t always work. As I’ve aged, I learned that my visual acuity and cognitive skills are less than before. It’s the normal degeneration that we will all face whether we care to admit it or not.

This is why many long-standing auto-loader fanatics tend to revert back to revolvers in the winter of their lives. Yes, this includes me. As a former soldier I loved my guns but I acquired a neurological condition that stunted my skills to a lesser extent, but enough to recognize this fact.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links