West Virginia CCW- Unloaded in the Car?

This is a discussion on West Virginia CCW- Unloaded in the Car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey. I'm a Virginia Permit Carrier, and I frequently go camping in West Virginia, which has Reciprocity. So I'm all good there. But I recently ...

Thread: West Virginia CCW- Unloaded in the Car?

Hey. I'm a Virginia Permit Carrier, and I frequently go camping in West Virginia, which has Reciprocity. So I'm all good there.

But I recently was told that it is against West Virginia law to have a loaded firearm in the car, EVEN if you are CCW?

quoting from Hardy County, WVA Sheriff's Office (http://www.hardysheriff.com/CCW.htm):

"Q. Does a CCW permit allow me to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle ?

A. West Virginia state law prohibits carrying a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, regardless if one possesses a CCW permit."

That contradicts what it says at Handgunlaw.us which says (http://handgunlaw.us/states/westvirginia.pdf):

"Q. Is it lawful to carry weapons (e.g. rifles, shotguns, and pistols) in my vehicle when I travel in West Virginia?

A. Individuals who possess a valid concealed carry permit may carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle for purpose of self-defense only. West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and are stopped by a law-enforcement officer, you must understand that that the weapon will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the weapon may lead to action by the officer to ensure his or her safety such as the drawing of his or her weapon, ordering you from the vehicle, and/or performing a pat-down search. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle. It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm."

I checked on the actual West Virginia State Police webpage, and that exact language (From Handgunlaw.us) appears.

Does anyone from West Virginia or elsewhere know what the deal is here?

VIP Member
    I lived in WV for 5 years and can tell you that you are good to go. That sheriff needs to get his facts straight.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

If your going to be sheriff, you should know the laws. I have lived in this state all my life. He is wrong. He is taking an exert from a sentence and not all of it.

VIP Member
    It seems the Hardy Co. SD does not bother keeping their info up to day. Dor example, in FAQ they list only Kentucky and Virginia as permits honored, but WVSP list is much longer.

I'd print out the SP FAQ page and carry it with you. Not sure about WV law, but my guess would be state law trumps county ordinances.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As stated above you are fine if you have your CCW, I carry everyday. I have several friends that are LEO here in WV and what he told you is incorrect.

That must be a typo or oversight; you can absolutely carry a loaded firearm concealed in your car as long as you have a permit.

That quote was probably refering to firearms, and ammunition DURING big game season. It also pertains to the "dusk 'till dawn" part of the law.( Loaded firearms in the vehicle after dark.).

Here is the link to the attorney generals booklet for WV: http://www.wvago.gov./pdf/BookletWVFirearmLaws.pdf

Hope this helps.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

Links