In the headlights of the police

This is a discussion on In the headlights of the police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided to take the puppy for a stroll around the neighborhood this evening and figured it would be a great chance to try out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the headlights of the police

In the headlights of the police

I decided to take the puppy for a stroll around the neighborhood this evening and figured it would be a great chance to try out my new Gould & Goodrich holster/M&P 40c IWB combination, worn at 4 o'clock(ish). I was wearing my usual walking attire of a light color T-shirt and khaki shorts. I did the mirror check before walking out the door and, while I thought I was printing a little, "it's 10:30 at night, no streetlights, so who's going to notice?" Uh-huh... While walking along the side of the road through the subdivision (no sidewalks out here in Hooterville), I heard a car turn the corner behind me and was instantly illuminated by the highbeams of the approaching car. As per my usual custom, I stepped onto the lawn and brought the dog in close. Though I was weak side to the car, I felt like the grip of the 40 was a foot long and would easily be seen under the shirt. As the car passed close in front of me, I saw the markings of the Sheriff's Department on the side. Guys, he never even slowed down, continued down the street and disappeared around the corner. Even though I had all the correct paperwork and had every right to be where I was, it was my first brush with a LEO while I was carrying. While I doubt I'd wear the same combination while out shopping, the fact that I (apparently) concealed my status from a LEO tells me that I'm on the right track and don't need to feel like I'm walking around wearing only a weapon (insert disgusting visual here...lol ). Thanks to all for the previous posts that counsel staying cool and having confidence in your carry; it came true for me tonight.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

2. Remove Ads

Just a suggestion - dark color shirts conceal the shadows which often reveal the outline of a concealed handgun. Even a medium blue is a lot better than a yellow or a white.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Or, maybe the LEO did see your gun and decided that you where just a citizen taking doggie for a walk and no threat to him or any other folks in the neighborhood.

Naa..... he probably just didn't see it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Wow, you really over-thought this "incident". . . . which wasn't incident at all. The police/sheriff deputy was just going down the street. Its not like he was out looking for people "printing".

Some people just put too much drama into carrying a gun legally. Stop worrying about it. Conceal it and go about your business as usual. Stop quivering every time a police cruiser goes by.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    You are doing nothing illegal and the cops are not the bad guys. I bet if you waved at him he waved back without jumping out to question you.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I'm going to go with he didn't see it...after a while, you stop worrying about it. Once you find the right belt/holster combination, it becomes second nature.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Even if he had stopped and checked ya out you would have nothing to worry about as long as you are legal. The cops are not usually the bad guys and are more supportive of citizens carrying than people think. Put on your weapon and go about your business.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    I decided to take the puppy for a stroll around the neighborhood this evening and figured it would be a great chance to try out my new Gould & Goodrich holster/M&P 40c IWB combination...

...As the car passed close in front of me, I saw the markings of the Sheriff's Department on the side....

...Guys, he never even slowed down, continued down the street and disappeared around the corner...

...it was my first brush with a LEO while I was carrying...
    Wow, I have 10 - 15 brushes with LEOs a day [/sarcasm]

Not trying to be petty, but you need to reassess your criteria for "brushes" in the context of interaction with people. Being within 30' of a person does not quite qualify as a "Brush" unless you have had either some sort of verbal/sign language interaction or a stare-down contest.

Yes, first time carrying something new can make you self conscious, but you did check yourself on the way out the door and in your eyes, knowing what to look for, you were good to go. Relax. It is just a tool that is hanging off your belt.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Wilber View Post
    Even if he had stopped and checked ya out you would have nothing to worry about as long as you are legal. The cops are not usually the bad guys and are more supportive of citizens carrying than people think. Put on your weapon and go about your business.
    Sir, I disagree, with all due respect, every unnecessary LEO encounter has the potential of negative outcome. In many places the cops are trying their best to re-educate and discourage legal carriers and the events usually turn ugly.

"As long as you're legal, " with all due respect - we carry firearms legally and the cops need to have a very good reason to hassle us, but do they care? I'm reading every day great gun sites in many states (PA, GA, MN, etc.) where the cops, totally disregarding the law, go after legally armed citizens just because they can lord over them and feel the need to discourage further legal carry.

Every gun site is full of "I'd had a LEO encounter ..." stories. We'd not have a single LEO encounter worth composing a post about as long as we don't commit a crime. Legal carry, open or concealed, should be a non issue.

FYI, My son is a cop, and so are many of my relatives. I recall times when seeing a law enforcement officer felt good. Today I try to avoid them as much as I can.

To the OP, don't worry about it too much. You've been provided excellent input by previous posters.

Good luck and stay safe, and thank you for sharing.

VIP Member
    Wow sorry you feel that way. A lot of this I guess is where you live, again I am from the south so maybe it is different there generally speaking.
    I have been carrying a gun both in LE and out for over thirty years and cant remember a bad experience but that is me.
    Hope things get better.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

tacman,

I'm sorry things have evolved from 'cops are my friends' to 'them against us.'

I've no doubt there are plenty of good LEOs out there, but they have created this "us and the public" attitude. They choose whether or not to go after a fellow citizen, and, more important, how the encounter plays out.

I'm glad that you've been one of the good LEOs. Thank you for your service - it's rough profession.

I'm pretty sure, no law-abiding permit holder or legal carrier wants to have any kind of 'LEO encounter."

I seriously doubt that things will get better. It's up to the law-enforcement community to change the attitude. The citizens would welcome that in open arms.

Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Or, maybe the LEO did see your gun and decided that you where just a citizen taking doggie for a walk and no threat to him or any other folks in the neighborhood.

Naa..... he probably just didn't see it.

AMWAG.......taking Fi-Fi for "do-your-'bid-ness'" stroll before bed.

I wouldn't see a threat either......IF your LEO even 'made' you at all.

I'd wager he didn't notice.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Guys, thanks for all the inputs, I fear that I initially might have added drama to the OP that wasn't warranted. My take-home from the incident was that I can not worry so much about something that is becoming a part of my everyday life. Thanks again...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

No real drama.......not a biggie at all.

Carry on!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sounds like a 'non-event' to me, but that is good.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links