New Arizona ccw laws?

New Arizona ccw laws?

This is a discussion on New Arizona ccw laws? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering what the rules will be in "July"? When the new law goes into effect? I moved to AZ three years ago from Nj ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Arizona ccw laws?

Just wondering what the rules will be in "July"? When the new law goes into effect? I moved to AZ three years ago from Nj and just bought my first pistol it is a kahr cw40. I always wanted to get my ccw but with this new law I don't know if it is worth it? Let me know what you guys think?

JD
    Administrator
    Unless I'm mistaken, you won't need a permit any more...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-law-real.html

You won't need a permit, but getting a permit will allow you to carry into places that serve alcohol, and the arizona permit is recognized in like 30 other states. I just got mine 2 weeks ago because I still see the benefit to have it.

As an AZ ccw holder, I would advise going to a CCW course. Learning the current law is worth the price of admittance. Not only that, the range time is a hoot. Just be careful there are alot of people taking the course that have no idea about muzzle control.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkr View Post
    Just wondering what the rules will be in "July"? When the new law goes into effect? I moved to AZ three years ago from Nj and just bought my first pistol it is a kahr cw40. I always wanted to get my ccw but with this new law I don't know if it is worth it? Let me know what you guys think?
    First off welcome to the forum.

As to getting a permit or not. As long as you don't intend to carry outside of the state of AZ a permit is no longer required. However if you travel and want to carry you will need a permit for reciprocity purposes. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are still some locations carry will not be permitted without a valid permit. I'm sure some of the AZ members can verify that.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    You're right archer51, there are several places that the CCW will still be required to carry as of July 29th (when the Constitutional Carry law goes into effect). First and foremost are establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, which means not only bars but restaurants. Second there are several public places like parks and whatnot where CCW can be required by the municipality (though this is not common).

The CCW also serves as an instant background check for FFL transfers. That makes purchasing a firearm a much faster process. Personally I like that CCW is listed on your registration if you get stopped by the police, because it tells them that you've been background checked and are not violent or a felon. That IMO makes officers feel safer, which makes me safer if I ever get pulled over.

So for all of that I will be renewing my CCW when the time comes.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Getting a CCW permit may not be required anymore...but the information and knowledge gained through the class is very valuable. It may save you alot of agony someday to be aware of the laws. IMHO
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Arizona updated its Preemption law when they passed constitutional carry. Cities and Counties will no longer be able by law to post their parks to keep everyone out unless they have a Permit/License to Carry. If you are 21. A US Citizen and can legally own a firearm the only places in AZ you can't carry that a permit holder can is into places that serve alcohol.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Arizona updated its Preemption law when they passed constitutional carry. Cities and Counties will no longer be able by law to post their parks to keep everyone out unless they have a Permit/License to Carry. If you are 21. A US Citizen and can legally own a firearm the only places in AZ you can't carry that a permit holder can is into places that serve alcohol.
    What about this 1000' school zone, a la federal law, that we've been hearing about lately?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    The Federal 1000 foot rule is in effect. Handgunlaw.us has not found one case where this law was applied. Not saying there hasn't been but we can find none. This law is one of those add on laws that they tack on when someone breaks another law in my opinion. Just like selling drugs within 1000 foot of a school. It is just another charge they can tack on to other charges after the arrest for selling drugs.

AZ is an open carry state and the 1000 ft rule would applies to those who open carry. I haven't heard of one person being arrested and charged with breaking the 1000 ft law when open carrying and in any city if you travel a few blocks in any direction you are going to come close to a school.
    Alaska and Vermont have the same law as AZ will have shortly and have not heard of anything from them on the 1000 ft law causing concerns.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    The Federal 1000 foot rule is in effect. Handgunlaw.us has not found one case where this law was applied. Not saying there hasn't been but we can find none. This law is one of those add on laws that they tack on when someone breaks another law in my opinion. Just like selling drugs within 1000 foot of a school. It is just another charge they can tack on to other charges after the arrest for selling drugs.

AZ is an open carry state and the 1000 ft rule would applies to those who open carry. I haven't heard of one person being arrested and charged with breaking the 1000 ft law when open carrying and in any city if you travel a few blocks in any direction you are going to come close to a school.
    Alaska and Vermont have the same law as AZ will have shortly and have not heard of anything from them on the 1000 ft law causing concerns.
    It would apply to EVERYONE without a license. It doesn't matter if you're CC or OC. If you have your license, you are exempt from the law, and you may OC and CC within 1000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Personally I like that CCW is listed on your registration if you get stopped by the police, because it tells them that you've been background checked and are not violent or a felon. That IMO makes officers feel safer, which makes me safer if I ever get pulled over.
    I may be mistaken, but I believe that has been changed. I don't think your CCW comes up any more when you license and registration is run.

YMMV

Lon

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I believe that has been changed. I don't think your CCW comes up any more when you license and registration is run.

YMMV

Lon
    Doesn't come up in AZ... not sure if it ever did.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Doesn't come up in AZ... not sure if it ever did.

It did for the first few years the CCW permits were issued, but as you confirmed what I thought, no longer does.

YMMV

F40
    I think it always came up in DPS, since they are the issuing body. I'll be keeping my permit since I'm not a US citizen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links