Kansas Does It Again... - Page 3

Kansas Does It Again...

This is a discussion on Kansas Does It Again... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I kinda skimmed over that but from what I read in the latest ammendment to Kansas CC law was that ALL prohibited places were to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I kinda skimmed over that but from what I read in the latest ammendment to Kansas CC law was that ALL prohibited places were to be posted.
    I know all of our post offices and other federal buildings are marked but that could just be a Kansas thing. You may be correct. I just try to use common sense. . .Try.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by subcool20 View Post
    I just try to use common sense. . .Try.
    I, for one, would not want to try to defend myself in Federal Court with either "State law trumps Federal law" or an appeal to "common sense."

Common sense and much of Federal law is an oxymoron.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Agreed

I thought the original law stated that Federal building did NOT have to be posted...but churchs DID have to be posted....our church is NOT posted, thus I carry every Sunday....remember, crazy people like to shoot up church people....thus I sit in back row, corner, with full view to church entrance, and if any crazy zealot comes in with visible firearm, I have early notice and can take action if need be. I have even contacted the church board, letting them know that I carry, and all they said was "Thank you"....and hopefully I will NEVER have to use it, but in todays world, you just never know, huh?!?

And it is also a good thing with #14....for CCH at outdoor baseball fields and such....BUILDINGS ONLY....make perfect sense to me!

What a beautiful piece of legislation!!
    (especially from the point of view of a Jersey resident)
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Federal building DO NOT have to be posted under 18 USC 930 and 39 CFR 232.1., However from what I've seen, most with exception of the Post Offices are Posted. Some P.O.are posted, some are not not.

Church's were off limits in the original CCW laws, HB2528 removed them and required them to be posted if the church chose to prohibit CCW. If it is not Posted it IS legal to carry in Church. I do it every weekend.

WJJEEP---So will non resident permits be recognized?
    Kansas Honors:

Alaska, Hawaii, Missiouri, North Carolina, Texas, Arizonia, Kentucky, Nebraska, Ohio, West Virginia, Arkansas, Louisiana, Nevada, Oklahoma, Colorado, Michigan, New Jersey, South Carolina, Florida, Minnisota, New Mexico, Tennessee, North Dakota (Class 1)
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    Federal building DO NOT have to be posted under 18 USC 930
    Hum!

Ck out TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > 930 (h)

See: United States Code: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > 930 (h)

930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.[emphasis added]
    Which as discussed before doesn't apply to POs.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    What a beautiful piece of legislation!!
    (especially from the point of view of a Jersey resident)
    Come on down, you'll like it here!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Hum!

Ck out TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > 930 (h)

See: United States Code: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

Which as discussed before doesn't apply to POs.
    Thanks for Highlighting that Dave I had missed it. And I didn't make myself very clear. The Kansas law says that they will follow Title 18 however Kansas will not require "Federal building to be posted". Since they can't require them anyway. Prior the law labeled Federal buildings on a prohibitted carry list, That "did not" have to be posted. They were removed with this new law. About the only building on that list now are the Govenors mansion and 2 state owned office building.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    Thanks for Highlighting that Dave I had missed it. And I didn't make myself very clear. The Kansas law says that they will follow Title 18 however Kansas will not require "Federal building to be posted". Since they can't require them anyway. Prior the law labeled Federal buildings on a prohibitted carry list, That "did not" have to be posted. They were removed with this new law. About the only building on that list now are the Govenors mansion and 2 state owned office building.
    Sorry, misunderstood you were just referring to State requirements.

This whole issue of what federal "property" is "no carry" is a minefield of gun-traps (to mix metaphors).

IMHO, we should be taking on all agency anti-RKBA regs -- such as we did w/ the NPS. It would be a long battle, BUT....
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Sorry, misunderstood you were just referring to State requirements.

This whole issue of what federal "property" is "no carry" is a minefield of gun-traps (to mix metaphors).

IMHO, we should be taking on all agency anti-RKBA regs -- such as we did w/ the NPS. It would be a long battle, BUT....
    I here ya, really screws with you when you train yourself to look for a gunbuster, and then you have to remember which buildings you can't go into even without being posted.

Quote Originally Posted by subcool20 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've not seen this sign because it was on the inside of a tinted window or door and didn't see it untill I was leaving. Sure glad they changed the law for lesser offense.
    Good going Kansas! I only 40 miles away but hardly ever go unless I am extremely bored and go driving. I like to aimlessly drive around. Usually pick a direction and go until I burn up a tank of gas and find a new cafe I have never been to before. Then head on home. lol

Mo is a lot like that. Places have to be posted but still they dont hold to much weight.

Its nice to see.

Guys, apparently it was modified slightly at the last step ...... and instead of being the law when published, it is now effective July 1, 2010

I think July 1st is when most KS laws take effect. It's kind of a default date they like to use when they can't decide on a date. Of course you may correct me if I'm wrong

Oddly, our anti-CCH Governor signed it, instead of letting it become law without his sig. Every year, the law has been improved, lots of folks (not me) have really worked hard to do this, I'm really pleased with the law.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links