New AZ Carry Law DOES NOT Provide Same Benefits as CCW Permit!

This is a discussion on New AZ Carry Law DOES NOT Provide Same Benefits as CCW Permit! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not my post, I copied it from xdtalk.com member Jamescal. Link --> New Arizona Carry Law DOES NOT Provide the Same Rights as ...

Thread: New AZ Carry Law DOES NOT Provide Same Benefits as CCW Permit!

New AZ Carry Law DOES NOT Provide Same Benefits as CCW Permit!

This is not my post, I copied it from xdtalk.com member Jamescal. Link --> New Arizona Carry Law DOES NOT Provide the Same Rights as the CCW Permit - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Some people don't know this!!!!

1.Benefits of a Carrying Concealed Weapons (CCW) Permit
    Ability to carry a concealed weapon within 1,000 feet of a school. It is almost impossible to travel through the Metropolitan Phoenix area without crossing a 1,000 foot boundary of a school. You will need a permit to conceal carry throughout the valley. (Federal Law)

2.A permit to carry a weapon in Arizona’s National Parks. If you want to carry concealed in National Parks located in Arizona (Grand Canyon) you need a permit. (Federal Law)

2.Reciprocity to conceal carry in twenty five other states. If you plan on travelling and carrying concealed a permit is a must. (Arizona Law)

3.One does not need a background check when purchasing a weapon, just show your permit with your identification. (Brady Bill)

4.You need a conceal carry permit to carry your weapon in a commercial establishment that serves alcohol. If the establishment is not posted you may carry a concealed weapon into the bar if you have a permit and you do not consume alcohol there. (Arizona Law)

5.When you take a concealed carry class you learn the laws of when you can use deadly force.

2. Remove Ads

Number 2 was my first question when I heard the news. Good step forward, but for practical and constant carry, the "paperwork" is a necessity.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    We can not find one time when someone was charged with a violation of the 1000 foot fed law. It is one of those tack on charges that will be added when you break another law. Yes No Reciprocity. But you can still get an AZ permit/license if you wish. The Permit/License law is still on the books. The process has not changed except the training requirements were loosened.

Carry in restaurants that serve alcohol and Checks when buying firearms are the two that those with a permit still enjoy that those without a permit do not. AZ did not change their other laws when they passed constitutional carry.

You will not need a permit/license to carry in National Parks or Nat WMA in AZ. The federal Law states you will go by the State Law where the national park is located. See Fed Law below.

SEC. 512. PROTECTING AMERICANS FROM VIOLENT CRIME.
    (a) Congressional findings.—
    Congress finds the following:
    (1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution provides that “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”.
    (2) Section 2.4(a)(1) of title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that “except as otherwise provided in this section and parts
    7 (special regulations) and 13 (Alaska regulations), the following are prohibited: (i) Possessing a weapon, trap or net (ii) Carrying a
    weapon, trap or net (iii) Using a weapon, trap or net”.
    (3) Section 27.42 of title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that, except in special circumstances, citizens of the United States
    may not “possess, use, or transport firearms on national wildlife refuges” of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.
    (4) The regulations described in paragraphs (2) and (3) prevent individuals complying with Federal and State laws from exercising the
    second amendment rights of the individuals while at units of—
    (A) the National Park System; and
    (B) the National Wildlife Refuge System.
    (5) The existence of different laws relating to the transportation and possession of firearms at different units of the National Park
    System and the National Wildlife Refuge System entrapped law-abiding gun owners while at units of the National Park System and
    the National Wildlife Refuge System.
    (6) Although the Bush administration issued new regulations relating to the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens in units
    of the National Park System and National Wildlife Refuge System that went into effect on January 9, 2009—
    Products 2 ©Law Enforcement Services, LLC
    (A) on March 19, 2009, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia granted a preliminary injunction
    with respect to the implementation and enforcement of the new regulations; and
    (B) the new regulations—
    (i) are under review by the administration; and
    (ii) may be altered.
    (7) Congress needs to weigh in on the new regulations to ensure that unelected bureaucrats and judges cannot again override the Second
    Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens on 83,600,000 acres of National Park System land and 90,790,000 acres of land under
    the jurisdiction of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.
    (8) The Federal laws should make it clear that the second amendment rights of an individual at a unit of the National Park System or
    the National Wildlife Refuge System should not be infringed.
    (b) Protecting the right of individuals To bear arms in units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System.—
    The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm
    including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if—
    (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and
    (2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National
    Wildlife Refuge System is located.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

My understanding is that the new law will essentially allow concealed carry where someone without a permit can already open carry.

That said, I've kept a valid Az CCW permit since 1995. No reason to drop it with the new law, so I'll keep it valid.

Daryl

You are right, there are still some benefits to having the permit. However, it's a huge step in principle and puts power and trust back to the citizenry.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

To me it needs to be added - Your AZ permit will allow carry in many other states.

Puffer

I got an AZ CCW within months of it coming into being and plan to continue to do so until I am too old and doddering to travel!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Links