mapping 1000' bubble around all schools

This is a discussion on mapping 1000' bubble around all schools within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rhenriksen Figures - Google iz mah fren. BETA - Gun Free School Zone Map Schools around here don't show up....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mapping 1000' bubble around all schools

VIP Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    Figures - Google iz mah fren.

BETA - Gun Free School Zone Map
    Schools around here don't show up.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Schools around here don't show up.
    Same-same. The map only covers CA. Gives an interesting, if incomplete, glimpse at what a "typical" city might look like.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Let's resolve this : Federal laws : Title 18 , 922 (q)

US Code Title 18 Section 922

(q)

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to
    possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects
    interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual
    knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a
    firearm -

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
    so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
    political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
    such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
    political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
    under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is -
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is
    on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school
    in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into
    between a school in the school zone and the individual or an
    employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official
    capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while
    traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to
    public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school
    premises is authorized by school authorities.

VIP Member
    Eagle how do you guys keep track? How many times has this thing been changed? It seems it changes for the better, I think?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    No problems in Utah, a permit holder can carry without problem INTO ANY public school, be it elementary, secondary or college/university.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    No problems in Utah, a permit holder can carry without problem INTO ANY public school, be it elementary, secondary or college/university.[emphasis added]
    It's not just a permit holder .

As I have posted in other threads on this topic:

Beware the gun trap for reciprocity, constitutional carry, etc

if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
    so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
    political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
    such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
    political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
    under law to receive the license
    ;
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    It's not just a permit holder .

As I have posted in other threads on this topic:

Beware the gun trap for reciprocity, constitutional carry, etc
    So you're saying that ONLY a resident permit holder can carry inside the no gun school zone? I have never heard that before, time to do some homework.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

As I understand current interpretation of the law, CHL holders are only exempt from the GFSZ statute while in their home state. That is what TXDPS is telling us instructor-types, and unlike some of the things they've told us, I think they are right about this one.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    So you're saying that ONLY a resident permit holder can carry inside the no gun school zone?
    It could also be a non-resident permit issued by the State in which the school is located in as well as a resident permit holder of that State -- but it must be a permit issued by that State. It can not be a permit just recognized through reciprocity.

I have posted about that gun trap repeatably.

See Eagleks post above.

See the site I often cite: United States Code: Title 18,922. Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > 922
    922. Unlawful acts

(q)
    (1) The Congress finds and declares that—
    (A) crime, particularly crime involving drugs and guns, is a pervasive, nationwide problem;
    (B) crime at the local level is exacerbated by the interstate movement of drugs, guns, and criminal gangs;
    (C) firearms and ammunition move easily in interstate commerce and have been found in increasing numbers in and around schools, as documented in numerous hearings in both the Committee on the Judiciary [3] the House of Representatives and the Committee on the Judiciary of the Senate; (D) in fact, even before the sale of a firearm, the gun, its component parts, ammunition, and the raw materials from which they are made have considerably moved in interstate commerce;
    (E) while criminals freely move from State to State, ordinary citizens and foreign visitors may fear to travel to or through certain parts of the country due to concern about violent crime and gun violence, and parents may decline to send their children to school for the same reason;
    (F) the occurrence of violent crime in school zones has resulted in a decline in the quality of education in our country;
    (G) this decline in the quality of education has an adverse impact on interstate commerce and the foreign commerce of the United States;
    (H) States, localities, and school systems find it almost impossible to handle gun-related crime by themselves—even States, localities, and school systems that have made strong efforts to prevent, detect, and punish gun-related crime find their efforts unavailing due in part to the failure or inability of other States or localities to take strong measures; and
    (I) the Congress has the power, under the interstate commerce clause and other provisions of the Constitution, to enact measures to ensure the integrity and safety of the Nation’s schools by enactment of this subsection.
    (2)
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
    (3)
    (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the person knows is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the discharge of a firearm—
    (ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;
    (iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or
    (iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity.
    (4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute establishing gun free school zones as provided in this subsection.

[Emphasis added]
    Last edited by DaveH; May 11th, 2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Corrected my statement to include a non-resident permit issued by that State
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I never take my gun to my son's H.S. but if I wanted to, as long as I keep it locked in the car on school grounds I'm ok. That's what CO statutes say about having a gun on School grounds.

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.

(3) (a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked;

So has anyone been able to find a Gun Free School Zone map? Or does anyone have a program or the know-how as to how to make one? I would like to map my hometown's gun-free school zones....just for the heck of it.

In WI you cannot be within 1000' of a school zone with a weapon. But the law states "knowingly." So if you do it and were unaware you are in a school zone, then that should be able to get you out of the felony charge.

2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school.
    (2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
    who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual
    knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is
    guilty of a Class I felony.
    I've seen several people make the circles on Google Maps, but I don't know how to do that either.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    don't have to... here in Michigan if you have your CPL/CHL/CWP whatever etc... you just have to Open Carry it. I met a few who do it. They are by no means breaking the law.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Eagle how do you guys keep track? How many times has this thing been changed? It seems it changes for the better, I think?
    There are a LOT of changes going thru right now, including on license renewals, so we are all paying close attention. Before, renewals required the same things as getting the license originally. SB306 however changed all of that, and it's now a $25 fee, an updated background check by the AG's office, signing a sheet you haven't been charged with any crimes that would not qualify you to have the license.

They just changed the law on self-defense too. If you pulled a gun in order to stop a threat, and the threat stopped, so you didn't shoot.... you could be found guilty of aggravated assault with a weapon. Yep, there was a case and even the KS Supreme Crt upheld it. So, they changed it.... and now states that if the threat ceases, it is NOT a crime, and made it "retroactive" to cover any poor souls charged prior to that.

It's a necessary evil to keep up with things. I hope the Police Depts are as well.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Here in Berea KY, it is impossible to go through town without being less than 1000 feet from a school. Berea college sits in the middle of town and is seperated by 3 state roads less than 500ft from their property. Two highschools, two middle schools and 3 elementry schools are any where from 200 foot to 600 foot from a primary street.

The charms of small towns..

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links