mapping 1000' bubble around all schools

This is a discussion on mapping 1000' bubble around all schools within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another post just got me thinking - has anyone tried using Google Maps to highlight a 1000' circle around all K-12 schools for a given ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mapping 1000' bubble around all schools

mapping 1000' bubble around all schools

Another post just got me thinking - has anyone tried using Google Maps to highlight a 1000' circle around all K-12 schools for a given area?

It would be very illuminating (particularly for the UOC folks in California) to see how much (or how little) space remains outside of those zones.

I would give it a try, but don't have a clue where to start.

2. Remove Ads

Figures - Google iz mah fren.

BETA - Gun Free School Zone Map

The 1000' bubble is an interesting concept. I live within 1000' of a school. But, conveniently, the interpretation of the law I've been shown is that I can walk down the sidewalk in front of the school. There are "Gun Free Zone" signs posted, and I don't pass them. I don't believe the sidewalk on the road is considered part of the premises of the school.

At least, here in Texas. This may not fly AT ALL anywhere else.
    Knowing is half the battle.

As I understand it, at least here in Texas, we can pass through the 1000' bubble if we have a CHL. But drivers who carry a loaded gun in the car w/o a CHL would be in violation. I can't provide a cite, though :-(

Well, I found my house!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    No "bubble" showing up on any of the schools in my (former) neighborhood...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    No "bubble" showing up on any of the schools in my (former) neighborhood...
    It's a rather clunky application - the code w/in the browser page downloads the list, then maps them. I think it took 5-10 minutes on my laptop. Also, some zoom levels in the map wouldn't show *any* circles, but when you zoomed out or in, they'd reappear.

Again, only CA addresses.

That fact that it draws a circle from a single point makes it very inaccurate. The 1000' zone extends 1000' from each edge of the school's property so the zone for each school will approximate the shape of the school with the corners rounded.

It doesn't matter here, it's quite legal to carry on any school property if you have a CCL , and into the buildings if they are not posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It doesn't matter here, it's quite legal to carry on any school property if you have a CCL , and into the buildings if they are not posted.
    I'm still unclear about this. I thought it was Federal law that prohibited carry into K-12. I understand states have laws to similar effect, but how do states circumvent the Federal law?
    Knowing is half the battle.

VIP Member
    It is in fact federal law. It was brought up once in 1990 and Supreme Court said no so it was rewritten to satisfy their requirments. I have never seen it used unless it was an enhancement to another crime.
    Just like LE cannot stop you just to see if you have a DL you cannot be stopped in a school zone to see if you are carrying a gun. If you are stopped or arrested and are in the parameters of the school zone you "could" be charged with the enhancement. Again we never used it except for say a meth lab near a school or something like that.

EagleKs might want to check this is what I found, not saying you are wrong might be something I am missing.
    Kansas law states:

No license shall authorize the licensee to carry a concealed weapon into:
    •Any elementary or secondary school building or structure used for student instruction or attendance.
    •Any community college, college or university facility.
    •Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal or state law.

Here is the federal statute and law.

The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was enacted as section 1702 of the Crime Control Act of 1990 (Pub.L. 101-647, 18 U.S.C. 922(q)) on November 29, 1990.

It was subsequently declared to be an unconstitutional exercise of Congressional authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution by the United States Supreme Court, and was therefore voided. This case, United States v. Lopez (1995), was the first time in over half a century that the Supreme Court limited Congressional authority to legislate under the Commerce Clause.

See also United States v. Morrison (2000), in which the U.S. Supreme Court also ruled that Congress lacked the authority to enact such laws even when there was evidence of aggregate effect.

Congress re-enacted the law in the GFSZ Act of 1996, following the Supreme Court's ruling, correcting the technical defects identified by the Court by adding wording placing the burden on the prosecutor to prove an additional element, that the "firearm has moved in or otherwise affects interstate commerce."

Whoever violates the Act shall be fined not more than $5,000, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the term of imprisonment imposed under this paragraph shall not run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment imposed under any other provision of law.

Summary of the law
    [edit] In general
    In general, the GFSZ Act of 1990 added two paragraphs in a new subsection (q) to Section 922 of Title 18 of the U.S. Code:

(1) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    Exception: This does not include possession of a firearm on private property that is not part of school grounds or possession of a loaded firearm by an individual who is licensed to do so by the State. (i.e. a concealed carry, weapon, or firearm permit).
    (2) It shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm.
    [edit] Definitions
    Definitions were amended to Section 921(a) of the title:

The term school zone means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
    The term school means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.
    [edit] Penalty
    A new paragraph was added to Section 924(a) establishing the penalty:Whoever violates the Act shall be fined not more than $5,000, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the term of imprisonment imposed under this paragraph shall not run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment imposed under any other provision of law.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Here is our current status, and what we have going on:

No carry on campus

From the campus edge radiating out we have the 1000' no firearm buffer.

If you live in the buffer, you can have guns in your house and travel through the buffer with guns in your car.

Permit holders can't "walk their dog" concealed within the buffer.

We are currently pushing legislation that will exempt permit holders from the buffer.

We are a must inform state, complying with that and being in the buffer, in the public, and carrying a concealed weapon, equals a felony.

I don't know about the federal level here, but getting this legislation passed will give us some relief

BTW, not many people realize it, but parts of the French Quarter in New Orleans is very affected by this school zone buffer.....that's reason enough right there to exempt us from the buffer.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    I'm still unclear about this. I thought it was Federal law that prohibited carry into K-12. I understand states have laws to similar effect, but how do states circumvent the Federal law?
    It doesn't..... look at the Federal law closer, they gave an "out" in the Federal Law ..... if you are licensed and the State law allows it, then you are "exempted".

TACMAN605
    Might read the Kansas laws again.... the one you are quoting from was the original and has changed about 4-5 times since then. That is not the present law, so you need to show exact statute # you are quoting from and be sure you have the latest "version".

Present Kansas law says only ....... "IF LEGALLY POSTED " with a gun buster sign and that is an "approved" sign, etc. ...... and then they can only post buildings, not common 'property' nor parking lots, etc. (HB2528 changed it). Some schools immediately posted, and others are NOT.

Here's the latest one passed with numerous changes (SB206), awaiting Govenor's signature..... http://www.kslegislature.org/bills/2010/306.pdf

which even if he vetos it ... it's about 98% for and 2% against, a strong over-ride of any veto : (I believe the wording in this part related to schools is the same as HB2528 .....the bill that changed this and is the active law at this time) ... however some places in this newer bill were eliminated all together and does not allow them to post any longer once this is in effect.

Sec. 9. K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c10 is hereby amended to read as
    follows: 75-7c10. (a) Provided that the premises are conspicuously posted
    in accordance with rules and regulations
    adopted by the attorney general
    as premises where carrying a concealed weapon handgun is prohibited,
    no license issued pursuant to or recognized by this act shall authorize the
    licensee to carry a concealed weapon handgun into the building of:

(10) any elementary or secondary school, attendance center, ad-
    ministrative office, services center or other facility;
    (11) any community college, college or university facility

This wording is very KEY .... it used to say, you cannot carry in these places.... and now it says :
    Provided that the premises are conspicuously posted
    in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the attorney general
    as premises where carrying a concealed weapon handgun is prohibited,

The law has a whole section that says basically, it is legal to carry except if it is posted (with a gun buster sign ) .... and then goes on to say what the "approved" sign is (no others apply), size, where it has to be located , that they have to be on "every entrance", etc. IF they are posted, it is not legal to carry ........ if they are NOT "POSTED", it's legal .... the same for any business, etc. The law also restricts that "posting" only applies to buildings, not parking lots, common areas, walk-ways, etc.
    Last edited by Eagleks; May 10th, 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Doesn't apply in CT if you have a permit.

I was concerned when the 'gun free school zone' thing passed, as my property abutted a secondary school. It took a few calls, but the state AG's office eventually responded that I could carry on school grounds, not just within the 1000 foot limit.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I was trained that in NM the state will not enforce the Fed govt law as the state disagrees with certain provisions in the Federal Law.

In NM we have an extended domain law. Our vehicles are an extension of our home and you may have a loaded weapon anywhere in the vehicle as long as it does not go with you on to school property regardless of whether you have a CCL.

The sidewalk in front of a school is fair game. Do not however leave the sidewalk onto school property.

School rules are enforced as state law, not Federal law here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links