Printing penalty - Page 2

Printing penalty

This is a discussion on Printing penalty within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the feedback. I thought I read several comments on this forum about printing and not doing it. I must have been wrong! I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Printing penalty

Thanks for the feedback.

I thought I read several comments on this forum about printing and not doing it. I must have been wrong!

I thought Texas was one of those places. Again, must have been wrong.

What I've understood from discussions, printing was being able to discern a firearm under clothing. Again, I must have been wrong.

Nice to know that if I travel to any of your states I don't have to worry about LEO discerning a firearm under my cloths, right?

Despite this discussion, in TX, quoting the pamphlet "Texas Concealed Handgun Laws" issued by the TX Department of Public Safety, consistent with the statutes:

"Q: What does concealed mean? Can't I carry my handgun in plain view? A: No. The weapon can't be visible, and its presence can't be discernible through ordinary observation."

This is what many refer to as "printing"--i.e, the outline of the firearm is plainly discernable to an observer. I'm sure everyone here means to be helpful, but in TX "concealed means concealed" for many reasons; the law and this regulation for enforcement is one of them. Apparently the shorthand "printing" disturbs some, not a debate worth pursuing; so let's say keep it concealed so an observer doesn't see that you have a firearm and you'll be fine. I'll be there tomorrow, and you won't see my gun, openly or in outline.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    Printing is failing to conceal. Just don't print. Do you really want to be a failure?
    Well said in my opinion. To conceal is to conceal. If you are printing, you're not concealing and there should be a penalty just like points on your DL if someone catches you doing it. CC and printing IMO would be like reckless driving. Set better standards for yourself, and it will become better for us all.

unless you're talking about printing fake money or printing some books you don't have copyrights to print, then I wouldn't worry about it. lol
    If you have it concealed well and have an "oops" moment it won't be so bad. Now brandishing, that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    Printing is failing to conceal. Just don't print. Do you really want to be a failure?
    Sorry, but I have to say I find this statement slightly childish and quite hilarious.

The fact that I am not anal about making sure that nobody suspects I am armed is a personal preference...just like your concern that somebody might suspect.

At this point in my life and in the position I find myself, I most certainly don't have to tie my self-esteem to whether the fact I am wearing a gun can be discerned.

Please try to remember that different people have different concerns and your concerns are only appropriate for you.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    There's a world of difference between a visable lump under an untucked shirt and the outline of a pistol grip beneath the skintight t-shirt.

Most "lumps" are cells, pagers, the contractor's belt-clipped tape measure, expensive sunglass case, etc. There's no need to get paranoid over printing. Use some discretion.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Ohio is an open carry state. "Printing" has no legal meaning.

You MIGHT get stopped to make sure that you have a valid CHL if you actually inadvertently display.

You're more likely to get arrested for open carrying in a military flap holster without having a CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    No issues here in Georgia; the GFL (Georgia Firearms License) provides the same provisions for open and concealed carry so long as it's in a holster (which I think if the governor doesn't veto SB 308 then we will no longer require a holster to conceal in Georgia.) Source for that bill.

a holster is only required to conceal, not needed for Open Carry
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Ohio is an open carry state. "Printing" has no legal meaning.

You MIGHT get stopped to make sure that you have a valid CHL if you actually inadvertently display.

You're more likely to get arrested for open carrying in a military flap holster without having a CHL.
    ^^This is not true..

Open carry means open carry. Either you are concealed carrying or open carrying. If you are open carrying, your gun has to remain visible at all times. That means if your jacket covers your gun up at any time, you're now illegal. I heard this from a CCW instructor, if this is incorrect, someone please correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    You guys in states that prohibit printing, what is the penalty for printing? Obviously if your licensed they can't charge you with unlawful possesion of a firearm, can they?
    Even in states where visibility of a firearm isn't a crime, one of the penalties that can occur is the unreasonable handling of the frantic, fearful "man with a gun" phone calls by law enforcement.

Instead, such calls should be handled on-phone, by educating people that it's perfectly lawful to carry firearms, that no intervention is justified unless the person is engaging in threatening behavior or statements beyond the mere carrying of a gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by MWfinest View Post
    ^^This is not true..

Open carry means open carry. Either you are concealed carrying or open carrying. If you are open carrying, your gun has to remain visible at all times. That means if your jacket covers your gun up at any time, you're now illegal. I heard this from a CCW instructor, if this is incorrect, someone please correct me.
    If you have a valid CHL, you can carry concealed, openly, or some combination thereof.

If you do NOT have a valid CHL, your firearm must be substantially visible. There is of course no quantifiable standard for this. If you don't have a CHL, don't let ANYTHING cover the grip of your firearm. Don't carry in a military flap holster either, since Cleveland police arrested somebody for that. The person took a deal which didn't prejudice his right to get a CHL, so the matter is undecided in Ohio courts.

This discussion was about "printing" and concealed carry, so it was always presumed that the person doing did so with a valid CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    If you have a valid CHL, you can carry concealed, openly, or some combination thereof.

If you do NOT have a valid CHL, your firearm must be substantially visible. There is of course no quantifiable standard for this. If you don't have a CHL, don't let ANYTHING cover the grip of your firearm. Don't carry in a military flap holster either, since Cleveland police arrested somebody for that. The person took a deal which didn't prejudice his right to get a CHL, so the matter is undecided in Ohio courts.

This discussion was about "printing" and concealed carry, so it was always presumed that the person doing did so with a valid CHL.
    Fair enough.. Iowa doesn't have open carry so we don't have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    a holster is only required to conceal, not needed for Open Carry
    a holster is not needed for Open Carry? Then how do you carry your firearm????

Legally...IA does allow open carry...there is nothing in statutes that prohibits it. It is your over the top power hungry sheriffs that prevent you from exercising that right.

In NC its OC or CC as long as you can tell its a gun its open. My instructor was saying printing was illegal but he was misinforming us
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

Legally...IA does allow open carry...there is nothing in statutes that prohibits it. It is your over the top power hungry sheriffs that prevent you from exercising that right.
    MrJam is correct to a point.

Open carry in IA is legal without a permit to carry in unincorporated areas, and legal in incorporated areas with a permit to carry. The issue here in IA (until the new law goes into effect 1-1-11) is that if someone raises a fuss and your issuing authority decides to revoke your permit he can.

As for the earlier post "if carrying open it must stay open" etc, that depends on the circumstances, here in IA carrying with a permit, I can carry the gun in either manner and switch from one to the other at my leisure. If open carrying in an unincorporated area without a permit to carry, and the gun becomes and stays concealed, or is concealed when encountering "the authorities" you may have issues.

CCW instructors in IA are hit and miss, mine was a joke and even when proven wrong using his own handout was unable to admit that he didn't know jack about Iowa code/carry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links