Printing penalty

This is a discussion on Printing penalty within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You guys in states that prohibit printing, what is the penalty for printing? Obviously if your licensed they can't charge you with unlawful possesion of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Printing penalty

Printing penalty

You guys in states that prohibit printing, what is the penalty for printing? Obviously if your licensed they can't charge you with unlawful possesion of a firearm, can they?

2. Remove Ads

Brandishing, possibly.

No printing in Minnesota. We've a got a permit to carry - CC or OC.

No issues here in Georgia; the GFL (Georgia Firearms License) provides the same provisions for open and concealed carry so long as it's in a holster (which I think if the governor doesn't veto SB 308 then we will no longer require a holster to conceal in Georgia.) Source for that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    You guys in states that prohibit printing, what is the penalty for printing? Obviously if your licensed they can't charge you with unlawful possesion of a firearm, can they?
    I wasn't aware there were any States with an actual law against printing? Do you know of any?

Also, what exactly is your definition of printing?

I was told printing is where you see a bulge and you can immediately identify it as a gun because you can see the outline of a gun.

A bulge is something in which you can not tell what the object is. A bulge can be anything... a cell phone, a PDA or Blackberry, a cigarette case, a pager.

A lot of people tend to use the terms incorrectly and in a legal sense, that can really cause a problem.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    No, its not brandishing. Look the word up, I wish that notion would just go away.
    Also, I'm with Bark'n. What state is it illegal to "print"? There has to be one of four culpable states for it to be a crime, and I highly doubt printing would make any of them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Printing is failing to conceal. Just don't print. Do you really want to be a failure?
    Knowing is half the battle.

Yell.. right.... I've had people ID me as "having a gun" because my shirt bulged.... problem was, I didn't have a gun on me, it was my cell phone.

The laws are about brandishing, and there is discussion and debate on what that really is..... and if "printing " would qualify in some places or not.

Az being an Open Carry State I really don't care in law if I print or not.

Now as to my ability to truly conceal when desired or required I do!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Prohibit printing? I've never heard of that.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I can't ever remember reading anywhere about printing being a crime or someone being charged with 'printing'...no such animal.
    Giving away your 'hidden advantage', now that's a different story.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I thought it was FL that had that one, but retsupt99 may have cured that one.

I've seen it in one of the state laws (not mine - CO) but I have slept since then and taken many a hit to the head since then.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Texas is the only state I frequent where printing is illegal; there may be others. Texas is generally not an open carry state. For permit holders, firearm "must not be visible" and "its presence cannot be discernable through ordinary observation". Intentional failure to conceal would constitute open carry; I'm told an accidental flash is unlikely to be a problem, but I personally am careful. See handgunlaw.us, NRAILA Texas page, or Texas state CCW FAQs. May be an issue in other non-open carry states, I don't know... And IANAL
    Last edited by Mark IL NM; May 9th, 2010 at 09:09 AM.

VIP Member

I think this is off a little

Quote Originally Posted by Mark IL NM View Post
    Texas is the only state I frequent where printing is illegal; there may be others. Texas is generally not an open carry state. For permit holders, firearm "must not be visible" and "its presence cannot be discernable through ordinary observation". Intentional failure to conceal would constitute open carry; I'm told an accidental flash is unlikely to be a problem, but I personally am careful. See handgunlaw.us, NRAILA Texas page, or Texas state CCW FAQs. May be an issue in other non-open carry states, I don't know... And IANAL
    There is no printing prohibition here. The term isn't used in the code.

There is a prohibition against intentional display. There is a prohibition against brandishing, and there is a prohibition against open carry.

Intentional display carries a penalty.

As for an accidental flash, that doesn't get covered by intentional display-- if it truly was accidental.

Still, you need to be careful about stuff like "a quick flash" if you use an ankle holster and your pants climb up as you exit the car. You might not be violating the law, but you could upset an observer who would phone in a man with a gun story.

FWIW, my pocket holster has a large sheet of thick leather on the outside so that while an observer might see a bulge, they can not see
    an outline of a gun.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL, your concealed weapon (Note that we conceal "weapons" in Fl., not just firearms) must be hidden from "ordinary view." Nowhere is printing even mentioned. If it were, there's be a lot of arrests for cells and MP3s.

What state statute, if any, prohibits "printing"?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links