I goofed last night

This is a discussion on I goofed last night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am willing to bet that you will never forget how your heart almost pounded out of your chest when you found you didn't have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I goofed last night

I am willing to bet that you will never forget how your heart almost pounded out of your chest when you found you didn't have your wallet with your permit in it. A feeling I am sure will make you remember it for some time to come.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If I were the LEO that I was, I would have been bound to enforce the law under the ‘letter’. Fortunately for some, I actually enforced the law in the ‘spirit’. So, if I could validate your permit status to be in good standing, then fine. Keeping a photocopy of your D/L and permit, somewhere in the vehicle is a pretty good idea. In fact, I may just do that myself...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I goofed last night

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    If I were the LEO that I was, I would have been bound to enforce the law under the ‘letter’. Fortunately for some, I actually enforced the law in the ‘spirit’. So, if I could validate your permit status to be in good standing, then fine. Keeping a photocopy of your D/L and permit, somewhere in the vehicle is a pretty good idea. In fact, I may just do that myself...
    That's a great idea. Wonder why I never thought of it. I never "carry" a wallet, and I leave my card case with my D/L and permit in the car. However, I own two cars and a motorcycle, and sometimes drive off with the case in the other car. As soon as I finish typing I'm going to make 3 copies of the D/L and permit. It may not meet the letter of the law, but it's something.

Speaking as an Information Technologies professional who has done forensic discovery and not any sort of LEO. . . . you just admitted to a criminal act in a public forum.

Administrator
    Actually in PA I don't believe a photocopy would have been acceptable.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You went to all that trouble yet you still committed a crime. You should have walked home or caught a ride.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by bogidu View Post
    Speaking as an Information Technologies professional who has done forensic discovery and not any sort of LEO. . . . you just admitted to a criminal act in a public forum.
    I suspect the statue of limitations has run out.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
    In Missouri, you can have a firearm in your vehicle concealed or in plain view as long as you are 18 and legally able to own a firearm. I guess the problem is when you get out. In your situation, you would have been fine here as long as you didn't take it out and conceal it once you arrived. But, you would still be driving "without your license on your person" which is still a ticketable offense. I believe as the others that you did the right thing in going back to get your wallet, if nothing else for the driving license.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    Cardinalfan

I believe it's 21 in MO to carry in your vehicle without a liscense. 23 to obtain a CCW. Although a Bill is working it's way through that would bring the CCW age to 21. Personally, I don't know many 18 year olds I would trust driving around with a handgun, that are not serving in the military.

Regards,
    Josh
    Blackheart6, you are correct regarding MO statute.

And I agree with the age limit.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Luckily in Michigan failure to produce your CPL when stopped by LEO is only a civil infraction with a $100 fine. If the LEO is able to, (and willing) to verify through the computer system that you have a valid CPL then it's not even a fine.

(7) A pistol carried in violation of this section is subject to immediate seizure by a peace officer. If a peace officer seizes a pistol under this subsection, the individual has 45 days in which to display his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer. If the individual displays his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer within the 45-day period, the authorized employee of that law enforcement entity shall return the pistol to the individual unless the individual is prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. If the individual does not display his or her license or documentation within the 45-day period, the pistol is subject to forfeiture as provided in section 5g. A pistol is not subject to immediate seizure under this subsection if both of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The individual has his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card in his or her possession when the violation occurs.

(b) The peace officer verifies through the law enforcement information network that the individual is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol.

Since you did not have your drivers license, I guess you would still be in deep, depending on the officer.

Edit, actually, the law says that the pistol will not be seized if they can check the computer for a valid CPL, but I suppose they could still issue the fine, but let you keep your gun. Again it may be up to the officers descretion. Also, failure to have the CPL with you is the $100 fine, but failure to notify the officer is a $500 fine and loss of CPL for 6 months first offense, and $1000 fine and permanent loss of CPL for second offense.
    Last edited by TedBeau; May 10th, 2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: more research

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    You went to all that trouble yet you still committed a crime.
    No crime was committed. It's a crime if you aren't licensed. The OP is licensed, just didn't have his copy (There are three, in PA. The issuing authority[county sheriff, in most cases, PPD in Philly] has one, PSP has one, and the licensee has one.) of his license on him. The "real" license is on file with the PSP.

In WV the sheriff gives you a photocopy wallet size to carry because the original is too large.
    I keep a photo copy of my DL and CC permit over my sun visor just in case.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links