To Orlando from Georgia

This is a discussion on To Orlando from Georgia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just finished separating from the US Air Force at Robins AFB Georgia and will be moving back to Orlando later this week. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Orlando from Georgia

Question To Orlando from Georgia

I just finished separating from the US Air Force at Robins AFB Georgia and will be moving back to Orlando later this week. I have a GA CCW permit which FL honors. But my concern is this, i have always been a florida resident even now that i live in GA, and i will soon be living in FL with a FL driver's license as a Florida resident but with a GA carry permit. Will this present any legal problems or confusion? I would like to keep my GA permit b/c I only waited a week to get it and only had to pay $60.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

2. Remove Ads

do you also have a Georgia ID showing you live there?
    Florida will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor. They will not honor a Non-Resident permit from any state.

So, I wonder if your permit would be considered a non-resident (even though it looks like GA doesn't offer non-res permits) if you don't show any proof of residence in Georgia.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I believe if the money is no big problem I would just get a Florida permit and then you know there will be no problem down the road. If you go in person in Florida, the turn around is very fast.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

you must have a florida permit to crarry if you're florida resident....your GFL will be good till expiration you will just not be allowed to renew
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

You can contact the Orlando Division of Licensing Office, (407) 245-0883, and make an appointment. They will process everything there, send it to Tallahassee and 2 weeks later you license will arrive in the mail.

The cost is $117.00 They take your picture and finger prints at the appointment.

If you have a Florida DL and a Georgia permit, I believe you are going to have a problem in Florida since you are no longer in the military. You will not be able to use a GA permit with a FL license.

As rmodel65 stated, if you are a Florida resident must have a Florida CCW to be legal.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    Last edited by Sleddog30; May 9th, 2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Fat Finger

Just to add, my permit is not a Non-Resident Permit. GA does not issue Non-Resident Permits. i was allowed to get a GA resident permit due to my military status without actually being a resident.

JLUSAF, I think you just answered your own question. As you said your Military Status allowed you to get a GA permit.

When you processed out you no longer have that status. You are going to have to get a FLA permit if you intend to reside there!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
    JLUSAF, I think you just answered your own question. As you said your Military Status allowed you to get a GA permit.

When you processed out you no longer have that status. You are going to have to get a FLA permit if you intend to reside there!
    But FL honors GA permits.
    I know FL doesnt honor Non-Resident Permits, but this is not what i have. After some time i am going to get a FL permit but it is so dang expensive, in just need to know if i am legal till then.

Quote Originally Posted by JLUSAF View Post
    But FL honors GA permits.
    I know FL doesnt honor Non-Resident Permits, but this is not what i have. After some time i am going to get a FL permit but it is so dang expensive, in just need to know if i am legal till then.
    There you are going to have to get some help from FL residents. Most states allow a certain amount of time for you to convert things like DL and CCW once permanent residence has been established.

I am not sure how that would apply though in your case, if you had FL as your HOR during your service!

When I retired it involved a change of residence so I had a clock to tick. Had I stayed in my HOR I would not have!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Thanks for you help jmiked, definately got me thinking.
    Anyone have any personal experience with changing state of residence to FL and having another states CCW permit?

another thing to consider is that if you buy a handgun in Florida, you will be subject to the 3-day waiting period unless you have a Florida CC permit. Your GA permit will not get you out of the waiting period.

Quote Originally Posted by jt04 View Post
    another thing to consider is that if you buy a handgun in Florida, you will be subject to the 3-day waiting period unless you have a Florida CC permit. Your GA permit will not get you out of the waiting period.
    I actually have bought handguns in FL without the wait and with a GA CCW permit but that was active duty military. but it was still with the GA permit.

I hate that there are so many hoops to jump through just to be able to protect my family. It's crazy

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Lot of "ifs" to your situation. Do you still have a FL drivers license? Or GA?
    Technically, unless you changed your "home of record," you have been and still are a FL resident, but GA (as most states do) has allowed to to have resident priviliges (Soldiers and Sailors Act). That expires upon discharge. If you have your separations orders, that may cover you until you can receive a FL CWL. To be on the safe side, I'd call the FL Dept of AG and ask for sure.

FL CWLs are moving much quicker now, even faster if you go to the Dept and apply directly.

I used to be with the 19th Bomb Wing there back in the '70s. The area sure has grown. Loved the deer hunting there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by JLUSAF View Post
    I hate that there are so many hoops to jump through just to be able to protect my family. It's crazy
    you have no idea... live here in Jersey. Or NYC (not state), WI, IL, or DC for that matter. you'll appreciate the FL and GA laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links