Help! Do I need a FL CCW CLASS?

This is a discussion on Help! Do I need a FL CCW CLASS? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just seperated from the military and am relocating back to my HOR Orlando, FL. I have a GA CCW permit but plan on getting ...

Thread: Help! Do I need a FL CCW CLASS?

I just seperated from the military and am relocating back to my HOR Orlando, FL. I have a GA CCW permit but plan on getting a FL permit since FL is my state of residence. Do i need to take the CCW class, i have heard that military experience takes care of needing the class but what do they require as proof? i do not have my DD-214 since i just separated but i do have my Form 522 which is my USAF Ground Weapons Training DATA from CATM, which shows my qualification on the M16 as recent as March 2010. Not sure if this qualifies or not. Anybody know if i need the class or not? thank you in advance.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

here's from the application:
    ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION
    An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attest- ing to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
    • Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
    Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    • Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    • Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law en-
    forcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utiliz- ing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    • Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investi- gators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    • Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card; discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
    • Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
    • Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.

The photocopy of your training certificate must be clear and legible and include your name, the instructor’s name, signature, and certification number. Please do not send the original certificate; it cannot be returned.

Your weapons training should be on the 214. Bring the 522(better yet, make copies of each) when applying as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

All they need to see is a Military ID or or DD214. The training doesn't have to be on the DD214. Florida is very kind to us veterans.
    FL CWL
    Member of:
    USCCA
    NRA
    GCO
    IDPA

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yep, DD-214 showing pistol or rifle qual. You can get all the statutes online (required reading), but taking a class may get you some other info. Not required by any means.

Electronic fingerprints will move the CWL process faster.

Note: Protect that original DD-214 with your life and keep copies on hand. You'll need it for any interaction with the gov't (VA, etc.).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks everyone. I called the Orlando licensing division and they told me the same thing, that all i need is my DD 214 and that covers it. YEEAA!! I am glad i don't have to pay to take a dang class.lol. I plan on making an appointment in Orlando so i can get it ASAP. Once again thank you.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The class will present good info on where you can and cannot carry in plain English (the state provides you with the laws in full legalese when you get the permit, as I remember).

And as long as your Georgia CCW Permit is still valid you can carry in Florida until you get your Florida Permit.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My best friend recently moved down here. He is a Viet Nam Vet. He just filled out the form, got fingerprinted at the neighborhood police station and submitted a copy of his army discharge document along with a check. Poof!, he was sent a CCP. While the class spends the majority of time on the legal ramifications and responsibilities of CC, laws and attitudes change and it's not altogether a waste of time to keep up with the latest. They throw a lot of facts at you in a relatively short time. Only a genius could possibly remember all the legal facts. I find myself referring to the handouts from time to time.

There's no such thing as a official concealed carry class in Florida, meaning that the State of Florida does not mandate a particular curriculum.

Some instructors teach NRA courses, hunter education, etc and just re-name it as a Florida concealed carry class.

And as mentioned above, your military ID or DD-214 will satisfy the requirement.

I've had mine since August 08 and I plan on attending a class with my wife after this deployment just to see what all I can learn. I figure knowing what they are teaching will help when discussing the issue with other members of the family who are interested in getting thiers.
    FL CWL
    Member of:
    USCCA
    NRA
    GCO
    IDPA

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    And as long as your Georgia CCW Permit is still valid you can carry in Florida until you get your Florida Permit.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Once you're a resident for a certain amount of time and have your driver license showing your current addresss in FL, your concealed permit from GA will reflect a different address. In most states as far as I am aware, once you become a resident you must obtain their permit. In most cases it's simply a matter of filing the appropriate paperwork with the state. It's even easier for Vets in FL. Plus, FL would of course like your $75.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Many courses are offered for a fee in Florida to get the CWP, but FL residents can contact a local Fish and Wildlife Commission Office and take the Hunter's Safety Course for free.

FWC - Welcome to Hunter Safety

As others have stated in answer to the OP, military training takes care of this requirement as well.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links