Issue with mag release while carrying

This is a discussion on Issue with mag release while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am relatively new to carrying and most of my experience so far is a Kel Tec P3AT in a Desantis pocket holster due to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with mag release while carrying

I am relatively new to carrying and most of my experience so far is a Kel Tec P3AT in a Desantis pocket holster due to my work attire. I have only been able to take out my Kahr CW9 a handful of times. Here's what happened over the weekend.

So I'm out to eat with my parents, wife and sister for a early Mother's Day meal Saturday evening and I've got my Kahr in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I'm a skinny guy so I have to position the Supertuck a little around towards my back with the gun between the 4 and 5 o'clock area. So our food comes and I sit up straight with my back against the hard back chair and I hear "click." I'm wondering what the click was and wondering if anyone else heard it and I look around and no one seems to have noticed. So I act like I'm scratching my back and when check the gun it feels like the mag isn't all the way in. I press it and sure enough it snaps back in.

I can't really wear the supertuck anywhere else do to my build and I like the comfort of it there so I'm considering drilling a hole where the mag release presses against the holster. Has anyone else had any trouble with this?

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I've heard of holster causing the mags to release, and it can be the holster's fault, the gun's fault, or a combo.
    Might be time for a slight "nip & tuck." I'd chamfer the edges if I did so that the mag release didn't snag on the hole edges.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Chances are what happened is the butt of the gun was pushed in by the chair causing it to rotate in the holster depressing the mag release.
    I have had the same basic problem before some with guns that had aftermarket mag releases.
    You can smooth out/drill out the portion behind the mag release just make sure it does not affect your draw stroke but 99% of the time it will work fine again I think the gun rotated hitting the mag release.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

My CBST barely rides on the mag release of my GLOCK 19, but has never ejected the magazine. I figure if it ever does, I will make a minor cut to remove the material.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I had this issue with my Supertuck and my MP9c. The fix is to mark where your mag release button is on the holder and pound an indent in the leather at that spot. I actually cut a hole in the leather, but the indent is what the Crossbreed holster guy recommends.

When it happened, I was out with the two Moms (who don't know I carry) and the mag was caught in the back of my shirt. I excused myself and tried to casually hold the mag by pretending to tuck the shirt as I went to the restroom to fix it. No problems since fixing the holster.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    I can't really wear the supertuck anywhere else do to my build and I like the comfort of it there so I'm considering drilling a hole where the mag release presses against the holster. Has anyone else had any trouble with this?
    Personally, no. But I have seen it mentioned. YOu can either drill it, or try to dampen the area and make a depression for the mag release to go into. Making a hole may be the easiest option. See if anyone you know has leather punches. It cuts the leather out, the drill may tear it too much. Something like this, most craft stores carry them.

Amazon.com: 6 Hollow Leather Punch Leathercraft Horse Tack Tool: Office Products
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I had that problem with my Supertuck carrying a P-11. I filed down the magazine release and have not had the problem since.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

My CB did it with my P239... It seems to be a fairly common problem across a broad spectrum of handguns. It is a relatively easy fix (and CB is good on helping), but I would think that this should have been corrected by now...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have a SA XD9mmSC. My fingers tend to be a bit stubby, so I replaced the original mag release with a longer one. Worked great, except that when I placed it in my Supertuck, the mag release would depress and the mag would come loose.

Not a good thing.

At first I just drilled a hole where the mag release came in contact with the holster using a forstner bit, and that was fine, the mag did not release, but when I tried to draw it and the extended release would hang up on the hole. So I wound up cutting away the part of the holster where the release would hang and now every thing is fine. No problems.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I've had this problem on rare occasions. My situation is similar to yours (thin build, carry a G30 around the 4:00 position) but I usually have to put some weight against the holster while it's pushed against a hard surface (wall, wooden chair back, etc.). The problem is a combination of Glock's mag release (there's no flange to protect it) and the flexibility of the holster leather.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I have had this happen with multiple guns in multiple holsters. The fixes here do work, although I haven't tried drilling into a leather holster.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

Thats the very reason I sold my Kahr CW9 , the mag would not stay in.
    I even put new parts in it and still no luck.
    I have a other guns I can carry so there was no reason to keep it.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

With holsters, you've got to look out for that possibility. You've also got to be aware of situations you'll be in with your holster and your carry pistol that might cause something out of the ordinary to happen. Nothing is set in stone, and holster makers would never see it coming since they are not you. Some of the best advice I can give you is.....to go ahead and attempt to modify the holster where you think it's warranted. You depend on the combination to save your life if the need arises. Secondly, I would think about where you're wearing the combo, and if there's something you can do to mitigate the problem......hey....it's pretty much engineering on the go when you're working with something new. We're all different, and that means different in so many ways. The ideal holster escapes many, and the many still search. Just like there is no magic bullet, there is no magic holster, pistol, or carry method. It all comes down to you and what you can do with what's given. Next up.....if you're happy with the holster and your carry most of the time...contact the holster maker by phone or email about your experience. Do it tactfully, and I'm almost sure you'll get a response. Some of them will make modifications to your specs. I'm doing R&D for a holster maker myself these days, and they have already made a prototype to my specs. It doesn't matter whether you're new to CC or experienced....nothing is personally tailored. Holsters, pistols, etc...... They are generic until you get them and work with them. That's why most of us here try to put our subjective opinions aside when it comes to answering a question that's sort of left out in the open. We all go through trials and tribulations with CC. Some of us have been going through them longer than others and therefore lend our experiences to those with less experience. Thing is, some see good experiences before others just by circumstance. They sort of luck into what's best for them from the get-go. Others need to chase their tail and lie restless while in search of what's right for them. Field engineering is what I call it, and we're all subject to that. Don't let your minimal or vast experiences weigh you down. We're all here for a common goal, and we'll never be whole until each and every one has found their best. Believe me, you'll know it when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    I had this issue with my Supertuck and my MP9c.
    I haven't had my FS 9 eject the mag yet but, I was thinking about switching the mag release to the right side just in case. Mags would be dropped with the trigger finger of the right hand.

I've mentioned this to a few folks and have gotten nothing but negative feedback.

Other than this not being the norm, what's wrong with using your index finger to drop the mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    I haven't had my FS 9 eject the mag yet but, I was thinking about switching the mag release to the right side just in case. Mags would be dropped with the trigger finger of the right hand.

I've mentioned this to a few folks and have gotten nothing but negative feedback.

Other than this not being the norm, what's wrong with using your index finger to drop the mag?

If it works for you, by all means, do it. I'm just a little old school, and think the trigger finger should be used for pulling the trigger only.

OMO.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links