Unarmed Security and CCW

Unarmed Security and CCW

This is a discussion on Unarmed Security and CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need all AL lawyers and Security Guards to chime in. I have been asked many times if I am legally allowed to carry at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Security and CCW

Unarmed Security and CCW

I need all AL lawyers and Security Guards to chime in. I have been asked many times if I am legally allowed to carry at work since I am an unarmed security guard with a CCW. With what I have read I believe I can, but if you know otherwise, please tell me. I am in Alabama working unarmed security and I have a CCW. Help me out folks.

The answer should be in your Employee Handbook...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Ask your boss....
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    The answer should be in your Employee Handbook...
    This.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The handbook is rather confusing. It says that lethal weapons are not allowed. Then says that people who have a pistol permit or an armed position are recommended to keep the pistol in their car. Can you say odd?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    If it says no weapons, it means no weapons, not only could you be fired from work, if a company hires an unarmed security guard specifically and you are armed, you could cause your company to lose the contract as well. not to mention that if you get into an altercation and get shot with your own gun, they will not cover you for liability
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    The handbook is rather confusing. It says that lethal weapons are not allowed. Then says that people who have a pistol permit or an armed position are recommended to keep the pistol in their car. Can you say odd?
    That does not sound ambiguous to me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

What confuses me is them saying no weapons and then saying it is ok to have them if you are licsensed or have an armed position. Then recommending you leave it in the car. Why would an armed guard leave his pistol in the car and walk around with an empty holster? I have asked many questions from my supervisors and they just shake their heads and laugh. A law has recently passed that overrides company policy about keeping a gun in the car. I am trying to find definitive answers from AL laws to make sure I am legal. I don't care if I lose my job as long as I can keep my life if something ever does happen that I should need to defend it.

Absent a direct quote from your employee manual, I didn't see anything that explicitly stated having a weapon is ok if you are licensed or have an armed position.

If there is ANY question in your mind - and there certainly appears to be some - get a copy of your company's firearms policy in writing. Without that, you are treading on some very thin ice if you go armed on the job.

Sad to say, it's all about keeping the lawyers happy.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

what is confusing?
    It says that lethal weapons are not allowed.
    simple...
    people who have a pistol permit or an armed position are recommended to keep the pistol in their car.
    in your car, not on your person.
    there is no ambiguity in this. Twist the words if you like but you will hang yourself.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by sfl1972 View Post
    Ask your boss....
    Dont do this IMO.
    If there isnt something stating its ok to CC any supervisiors answer to the question will always be no.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Another thing to consider... In most states there are different licenses (aka "guard card") for unarmed and armed security officers.

If you're licensed as an unarmed guard, but are found to be armed while on-the-job (regardless of your CCW), you could have your license revoked and/or banned from security work.

Sounds like if you want to carry for your job, you need to find a different job. The only law that applies is labor law--is AL an "at will" state in regards to employment?

Are you in an armed position? If yes...then carry. If no, according to what you posted, you're supposed to keep it in your car.

Does not sound ambiguous to me...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Eh, Lawyers and there liberal BLAH,BLAH,BLAH...

Sorry i don't like corporate lawyers ...

Well If your posted as a unarm guard then you need not to be arm,
    I have to agree that if you want to be employed there then you need to follow it... Now that doesnt mean you can transfer to a arm guard..
    Do they know you have CCW? If so then i wounder why they didnt put in a arm guard account?

Well personal there is no job worth my life... I like to go home to my wife and kid everyday...

why not call a lawyer, if there is not one on this site..
    Last edited by XDM40cal; May 11th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Here's my take on it. I've worked security before both armed and unarmed.

If you're working an unarmed assignment, that means UNarmed.

If you're working an armed assignment, you will generally, be issued a company supplied weapon. You are authorised to carry that weapon on duty. Nothing else.

Unarmed or armed, leave your personal weapons locked in your car.

In the end it doesn't matter what I say, it's what your employer, the client, and the state say.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links