Flying without CHL (ccw) possible? Texas

This is a discussion on Flying without CHL (ccw) possible? Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ak56 They've apparently changed that. Sounds like you can use TSA locks or non-TSA locks. I was researching this yesterday, as I'm ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying without CHL (ccw) possible? Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    They've apparently changed that. Sounds like you can use TSA locks or non-TSA locks. I was researching this yesterday, as I'm flying from Seattle to Lubbock at the end of the month. I was surprised when I looked at the American Airlines web site, and they state:

I then went to the TSA web site, and they have changed thier wording:
    TSA has NOT changed their wording. reread it:

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
    American Airlines is the only airline I know of that has changed their wording. TSA screeners don't follow American Airlines policies, they follow TSA rules, which have NOT changed, at least not in the last 3 minutes when i checked.

TSA screeners could theretically deny you boarding because your firearm case does not comply with TSA regs

Of course you can do this in any manner you choose. I would continue to secure my pistol case as per the TSA regs, not American Airlines

My .02

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the correction about the locks, guys. Like I said, I have not flown with firearms since TSA came into being, and I hope to never have to do so. I have no plans to try to memorize any of their silly regs, except to the extent that I am forced to do so if I ever have to fly commercial again.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    TSA has NOT changed their wording. reread it:

American Airlines is the only airline I know of that has changed their wording. TSA screeners don't follow American Airlines policies, they follow TSA rules, which have NOT changed, at least not in the last 3 minutes when i checked.

TSA screeners could theretically deny you boarding because your firearm case does not comply with TSA regs

Of course you can do this in any manner you choose. I would continue to secure my pistol case as per the TSA regs, not American Airlines

My .02
    I stand corrected. I missed the 'by anyone other than you' part. I thought the wording used to be clearer.

Personally, I wouldn't have used a TSA-approved lock anyway.

I've flown about a dozen times with firearms in the last 2-3 years...use YOUR locks on the container with the gun. NOT TSA locks...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Check out this article, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
    8541 Tactical - Flying with Firearms

As others have said, having a CHL has nothing to do with it.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

A good link but I question this statement:

>> TSA regulations allow you to carry your ammunition loaded into magazines as long as the magazines are stored in magazine pouches

Maybe that has changed but to be safe just use the boxes the ammo comes in. It used to be that loaded mags were a serious no-no. I blew it once and forgot a loaded mag in the box with a gun. Almost didn't get on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by theneko View Post
    A good link but I question this statement:

>> TSA regulations allow you to carry your ammunition loaded into magazines as long as the magazines are stored in magazine pouches

Maybe that has changed but to be safe just use the boxes the ammo comes in. It used to be that loaded mags were a serious no-no. I blew it once and forgot a loaded mag in the box with a gun. Almost didn't get on the plane.
    From the TSA web site

You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    Having said that, TSA may be ok with this, but some airline agents are either not ok with it or don't know the regs. Either way, since you deal with them first when checking in, I would not try loaded mags under any circumstances. If you leave mags loaded and the agent says no and you have no ammo boxes for them, the ammo doesn't fly with you. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links