Flying without CHL (ccw) possible? Texas

This is a discussion on Flying without CHL (ccw) possible? Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking everywhere on this forum, but couldn't find anywhere if addressed if one could fly with two pistols if they do not posses ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was looking everywhere on this forum, but couldn't find anywhere if addressed if one could fly with two pistols if they do not posses a concealed handgun license. Do I need one to fly with them?

I am going to be flying between Lubbock Tx, and Dallas Tx. I would greatly appreciate some advice on how this process works.

I am bringing two pistols and about 2 boxes of ammo. If I bought a locking hard case is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks!!

CHL is for carrying concealed

No license required if for traveling. Make sure you follow the rules of the TSA / airline for notification and packing requirements.
    Don't do stupid things, don't go to stupid places, don't hang out with stupid people...

Having or not having a CHL doesn't matter. You just need to comply with FAA, TSA and airline requirements. The guns will have to be in hard cases, unloaded, with TSA-approved locks. Ammo will have to be packed separately, and most airlines want it to be in factory boxes. I'm not sure about Southwest. They are about the most firearm-friendly of all airlines, but I've not flown with a gun since 9/11, mostly due to all the thefts of firearms committed by TSA agents. Don't take anything you can't stand to lose. Southwest used to allow ammo to be in any kind of box, or even in magazines in a separate case from the pistol, but no more.

From Lubbock to Dallas, I always drive now. By the time you deal with security on both ends and a rent car in Dallas, you don't save much time flying, and I need to keep my blood pressure down. Airports don't help me do that.

Oh, and contact the airline before you make your trip, to get all the info. Finally, don't expect the nice folks at the counter to necessarily know the rules.

Unless you are keen on federal prison time, I would suggest that you, a private citizen I assume, do not verbally, mentally or in writing associate "concealed weapons" and airlines.

Here is what you need to know regarding "declaring and transporting" a weapon: TSA: Traveling with Speical Items.

You'll see absolutely NO mention of CCW. Which is logical, as you will definitely not be carrying, concealed or otherwise!

Further, the above link states:
    travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Quote Originally Posted by tseabourn View Post
    No license required if for traveling. Make sure you follow the rules of the TSA / airline for notification and packing requirements.
    Yep.

Check the airline's website. It will have a list of how the items have to be secured, and what the process is for declaring them. You should get there a little extra early, because you will more than likely have to sign a declaration form and wait for your checked bags to be screened before they will let you lock the cases (at least in my experience). On the up-side, the two times I've flown with handguns, the airline hand carried my luggage to me at my destination instead of my having to wait for it to come through the normal baggage claim.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

See why I drive?

Like so many other things...ask what is required, do what is required, and usually there are no problems.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

jbs
    Here's a good link to a yutube video that pretty much explains traveling with firearms. 52 minutes but pretty good.

Deviant Ollam - Packing & The Friendly Skies on Vimeo
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Having or not having a CHL doesn't matter. You just need to comply with FAA, TSA and airline requirements. The guns will have to be in hard cases, unloaded, with TSA-approved locks. Ammo will have to be packed separately, and most airlines want it to be in factory boxes. I'm not sure about Southwest. They are about the most firearm-friendly of all airlines, but I've not flown with a gun since 9/11, mostly due to all the thefts of firearms committed by TSA agents. Don't take anything you can't stand to lose. Southwest used to allow ammo to be in any kind of box, or even in magazines in a separate case from the pistol, but no more.

From Lubbock to Dallas, I always drive now. By the time you deal with security on both ends and a rent car in Dallas, you don't save much time flying, and I need to keep my blood pressure down. Airports don't help me do that.

Oh, and contact the airline before you make your trip, to get all the info. Finally, don't expect the nice folks at the counter to necessarily know the rules.
    Theft of firearms by TSA agents? Can you site any cases of this ever happening? As much as I fly, with and without firearms, and deal with TSA I have never had a problem, or heard of TSA stealing someone's firearms. I would blame airline baggage handlers before TSA. Not saying I agree with all of TSA's rules or anything, I don't, but that's a rather serious charge.

No license required to transport your weapons on an airline...as stated above, follow the rules posted by the airline & TSA. Transport the weapons IAW the laws of the state you are visiting; carry IAW with the state you are visiting (i.e. open carry w/out a permit is allowed in VA).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by kahrguy View Post
    I am going to be flying between Lubbock Tx, and Dallas Tx.
    Are you talking about flying aboard commercial airlines, or flying as a private pilot in your own plane?

Quote Originally Posted by JarHead81mm View Post
    Theft of firearms by TSA agents? Can you site any cases of this ever happening? As much as I fly, with and without firearms, and deal with TSA I have never had a problem, or heard of TSA stealing someone's firearms. I would blame airline baggage handlers before TSA. Not saying I agree with all of TSA's rules or anything, I don't, but that's a rather serious charge.
    Yes, I am quite familiar with one. A few years back, a good friend of mine, who actually works for Continental Airlines in management, had two guns stolen by a TSA theft ring in Houston. One of the guns was a $2500+ STI comp gun that I had tuned, the other was a Glock. A ring of three (as I recall) TSA employees were arrested a few months later, and they were credited with thefts of dozens, if not hundreds of guns. Unfortunately, my friend's guns were not among those recovered. This was not the only TSA theft ring that has been busted. Depending on the source, the stats I've seen say that the increase of firearm thefts from airline baggage has gone up between 4000% and 10,000% since TSA came into being. (Those numbers are a couple of years old; they may have gotten at least some handle on it since then, but I've not heard, either way.) I don't think the number of baggage handlers has increased much.

I think you can drive quicker from Lubbock to Dallas than you can fly it...after all the luggage check in and TSA stuff..I drive it alot. Learned alot from this post tho...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post

What do you mean by TSA approved locks? Firearm cases are to be locked so that NO ONE but you can access them. TSA locks ARE NOT to be used to lock a firearm case,

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    What do you mean by TSA approved locks? Firearm cases are to be locked so that NO ONE but you can access them. TSA locks ARE NOT to be used to lock a firearm case,
    They've apparently changed that. Sounds like you can use TSA locks or non-TSA locks. I was researching this yesterday, as I'm flying from Seattle to Lubbock at the end of the month. I was surprised when I looked at the American Airlines web site, and they state:
    Firearms will only be accepted if unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container only (for example - rifle case. TSA approved locks are now accepted).
    I then went to the TSA web site, and they have changed thier wording:

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
    We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links