Taking a trip MO-> AR-> LA-> MS-> AL->FL

This is a discussion on Taking a trip MO-> AR-> LA-> MS-> AL->FL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm driving down to Destin, FL for a business trip and taking the Family with me. I have done a bit of research and surely ...

Thread: Taking a trip MO-> AR-> LA-> MS-> AL->FL

Taking a trip MO-> AR-> LA-> MS-> AL->FL

I'm driving down to Destin, FL for a business trip and taking the Family with me. I have done a bit of research and surely more to follow. Besides going to each States Attorney General site, I'm wondering if a few of you fine forum members can offer me some tips.
    I have my CCW in MO and regularly carry (both on person and in vehicle). Each one of the states I'll travel through has a recprocity agreement with and honors my MO CCW, which I'll officially verify again. In MO, it is permissible to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle (actually even without a CCW if you are over 23, etc). When driving through these various states, can I have my loaded firearm next to me (console or door storage), physically on my person or do I need to transport in passive mode (weapon and ammo separate and locked)?
    Any tips for carrying while I'm in Florida? I have both OWB and IWB holsters for my handguns and can conceal them very well in either.
    Thank you in advance for your help! (Links to other threads are welcome)
    Beretta Tomcat .32, Walther PPS 9mm, Sig Sauer P229R, Remington 870 12ga, Sig Sauer 556 ER

2. Remove Ads

One thing I'd do is a keep a copy of the reciprocity notice from each state (if you can find it).

Also make a note of where you can go if you have to stop (places with a liquor license, etc).
    Knowing is half the battle.

Well first off, enjoy your trip...This time of year coming through my great state of Mississippi is an incredible drive. In Mississippi you are free to carry it pretty much however you want while inside your vehicle. Open, concealed, sitting on the dash...what ever your heart desires. But if you get out, cover it up. The debate is still on going as to if MS is an open carry state. I personally dont OC just to be on the safe side...

Once you get into Florida keep in concealed no matter what. Since you have a permit you can keep in loaded, within reach, and concealed.

Oh and on a side note, if your travels take you onto the Natchez Trace it has to be unloaded and blah blah blah....

Enjoy your trip...which way are you going to be driving?
    Drew Steele NREMT-P
    Kimber Custom 2 TLE
    Glock 23
    Glock 36
    Sig 229
    Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by mdottroy View Post
    I'm driving down to Destin, FL for a business trip and taking the Family with me. I have done a bit of research and surely more to follow. Besides going to each States Attorney General site, I'm wondering if a few of you fine forum members can offer me some tips.
    I have my CCW in MO and regularly carry (both on person and in vehicle). Each one of the states I'll travel through has a recprocity agreement with and honors my MO CCW, which I'll officially verify again. In MO, it is permissible to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle (actually even without a CCW if you are over 23, etc). When driving through these various states, can I have my loaded firearm next to me (console or door storage), physically on my person or do I need to transport in passive mode (weapon and ammo separate and locked)?
    Any tips for carrying while I'm in Florida? I have both OWB and IWB holsters for my handguns and can conceal them very well in either.
    Thank you in advance for your help! (Links to other threads are welcome)
    I can speak for FL. If you have a CCW permit you do not need to disarm in your car for any reason. As long as you keep it concealed on your person you're ok. In Fl concealed is concealed, if they can't tell it's a gun then you're good. In the car I would not leave my firearm on the seat. I'd keep it out of sight.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Moderator
    No need to worry in Arkansas. Keep it on you. If you get stopped, you must inform the officer stopping you that you are carrying.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

FL.= No need to INFORM ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

In FL...you DO have to inform...the criminal...after you take the necessary steps to end the threat...that he made a big mistake in picking you out as his victim.

Travel safely, enjoy FL! (You do not have to inform LE if stopped.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Alabama is no inform state. Concealed though we are going through the blah-blah-blah for open carry right now. Be safe and keep it on your person through Bama, and welcome to the "Heart of Dixie."
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

I've always found that a true concealed carry is the safest option. Regardless if open carry is allowed.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    I've always found that a true concealed carry is the safest option. Regardless if open carry is allowed.
    Arguments for both sides, but I'll take my tactical advantage

BG doesn't know what I got and I like it that way.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Details for Louisiana below, however:

Carry your gun in your car in any way you'd like. You must inform leo if you are concealed carrying. Your choice, but if you get stopped in your car and have a gun in your console, I'd give the leo a head's up on that, he'd appreciate that info.

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    A polling place;
    A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    The state capitol building;
    Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
    A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Duties of Permittees
    The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:
    Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;
    Submit to a pat down;
    Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.
    A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS.

The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be revoked by the deputy secretary when the permittee is carrying and concealing a handgun under any of the following circumstances:
    The blood alcohol reading of the permittee is .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood;
    The permittee's blood test or urine test shows the confirmed presence of a CDS as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964;
    The permittee refuses to submit to a department certified chemical test when requested to do so by a law enforcement officer.
    R.S. 40:1379.3(L) provides that anyone who carries and conceals a handgun in violation of any provision of this Section, unless authorized to do so by another provision of the law, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

R.S. 40:1379.3(C)(1) requires the making of a sworn application to the deputy secretary of public safety services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections. The providing of false or misleading information on the application or any documents submitted with the application shall be grounds for the denial or revocation of a concealed handgun permit. The application shall reflect training in pistols, revolvers, or both. Any permittee under this Section shall notify the department of any address or name change within thirty days of the change. Failure to timely notify the department of a name or address change may result in suspension of the permit for up to thirty days.

R.S. 40:1379.3(R)(1) requires each permittee, within fifteen days of a misdemeanor or a felony arrest, other than a minor traffic violation, in this state or any other state, to notify the deputy secretary of public safety services by certified mail. The deputy secretary may suspend, for up to ninety days, the permit of any permittee who fails to meet the notification requirements of this Section.

R.S. 40:1379.3(F)(1) mandates that the deputy secretary shall revoke the permit if at any time during the permit period the permittee fails to satisfy any one of the qualification requirements provided for in Subsection C of R.S. 40:1379.3.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You may wish to try this link when traveling.

Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner
    Don
    U.S. Army Retired
    74-97
    AMVETS Rider
    Patriot Guard Rider

Links