CCW "Shooting Test"

This is a discussion on CCW "Shooting Test" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shoot 50 rounds here in SC starting at 3yds and up to 15yds....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW "Shooting test"

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Shoot 50 rounds here in SC starting at 3yds and up to 15yds.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle18 View Post
    Just curious about the various "shooting tests" required in the process of CCW training. I would assume that they are similar from state to state with some minor differences. Are your similar?

In my area it is as follows:

Your location says CA..... LOL... I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you..... CA does not issue permits.... or should I say RARELY. Crappy State for gun owners. CA also doesn't have a stand your ground law either....

God am I glad I left that State!

Arkansas requires you to shoot until the instructor feels like you are competent enough to hit the bad guy and not kill yourself or someone else in the process. Whether this takes one clip, or 15 clips, it's left up to the instructor's discretion.

"On the paper" at 7 feet is all Arkansas requires. Not hard by any means. Heck, I can snipe with my pistol at about 150 yards...

Okay, not really, but at 7 feet it ain't hard at all to hit the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    No test in GA, written or shooting. No registering your guns here either.
    Same in Washington. Apply, wait 30 days. Check the mail box
    Μολὼν λαβέ G19 G36

In VA you can get your permit without even having seen, handled or own a gun. Simply log on to a website, watch an hour long video, answer 20 questions about the video, and print your certificate when you pass. Next, you fill out the CCW application, take it to the courts, pay the $50, and wait for the permit to arrive in the mail.

Get at least 4 of 6 shots in the 8.5x11 in sheet of paper at 7 yards with auto and revolver each.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

Michigan

We have to do the NRA safety class, then shoot 96 rounds at different ranges from 2-3 feet up to 21 feet. But it varies from instructor to instructor. We shot at a paper bag in my class.

Doesnt matter what you "qualify" with, you can carry whatever after you get your CPL here. Carry on..Matt

edit to add: Pistol or revolver, or anything that is registered as a handgun. In Michigan anything under 26" overall length is considered a handgun. So an AK with a folding stock could technically legally be carried. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf Girl View Post
    Your location says CA..... LOL... I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you..... CA does not issue permits.... or should I say RARELY. Crappy State for gun owners. CA also doesn't have a stand your ground law either....

God am I glad I left that State!
    Actually there are quite a few counties that it is relatively easy to get a permit in. CA gives the decision to issue to the county sheriff and some are very pro ccw and some like LA and San Fransicso don't think anyone should own a gun. The sheriff in my county is very pro ccw and as long as you don't have a criminal record you will get your permit. I will admit tho, that the gun laws do suck here, but I guess they could be worse.

I had to do an 8 hour class at the sheriff's range. We had to qualify with each gun we wanted to cary- 10 rounds to the torso from 5 yards and do a reload. It was not scored, just looking to see that you can handle a gun safely.

No shooting test at all in Florida.

But having said that, it has not caused shooting of self by the myriads of permit holders?

Maybe the Government keeping their collective noses out of this process works, and it is not more expensive than it needs be?

Smile

Oklahoma requires 50 rounds fired to show that you are familiar with your gun and it's' safe operation. I've said it before, but my class was at about 3 yards at a notbook paper, and some were having touble keepin their shots on that. I impressed my instructor by making a smiley face. of course at that range I could have thrown the bullets by hand and made one. sigh.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    In Ohio it was center mass at 7 yards. 30 to 50 rounds. In January it was loading the mags that sucked the most so I was lucky enough to have two 15 rnd mags.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

New York: You Cannot Touch a Gun

New York: You Cannot Touch a Gun without a permit, so there obviously is no live test in order to get the permit. 4 hr class with written testing. The only guns used for demonstration purposes are those that are disabled and could never be fired. Even those cannot be touched though by applicants, only the instructor can do that.

There is a type of "learner's permit" on the books in my county - perhaps some others, but I never heard of it being advertised in any way by the Permit Office or issued (or applied for by anybody for that matter). Perhaps they are for security officers or something.

This is why I love Alabama. We only have to pass the quick draw test....quickly draw $10 from our wallet.
    While I fully support/encourage people to get proper training, I think it's rediculous for a state to require it. A written quiz on applicable laws, maybe.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

In Missouri it 20 rounds at a B27 target from 7 yards of which 15 rounds have to be any where in the black target area.

My shooting qualifications from the Military was used in lieu of the State standards to get my CHP, so I'm not sure what Colorado shooting test consist's of.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links