CCW "Shooting test"

CCW "Shooting Test"

This is a discussion on CCW "Shooting Test" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious about the various "shooting tests" required in the process of CCW training. I would assume that they are similar from state to state ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW "Shooting test"

CCW "Shooting test"

Just curious about the various "shooting tests" required in the process of CCW training. I would assume that they are similar from state to state with some minor differences. Are your similar?

In my area it is as follows:

SHOOTING test

You must fire 2 shots “center mass” at the target from 3 yards. 1 or 2 hand grip in 3 seconds. Repeat 3 times?

You must fire 3 shots “center mass” at the target from 5 yards. 1 or 2 hands grip in 5 seconds Repeat 2 times?

You must fire 6 shots “center mass” at the target from 7 yards. Using the two hand grip in 8 seconds!

You must fire 6 shots “center mass” at the target from 7 yards. Using the strong hand grip in 10 seconds!

You must fire 6 shots “center mass” at the target from 7 yards. Using the weak hand grip in 15 seconds!

You must fire 6 shots “center mass” at the target from 10 yards. Using the two hand grip in 10 seconds!

You must fire 6 shots “center mass” at the target from 15 yards. Using the two hand grip in 15 seconds!

You can only have 2 shots placed outside the point area to pass.

This brings us to the end of the average 8 hour class. Cost $ 180.00.

You must complete the shooting test for each handgun you register on your permit !

Extra handgun shooting tests are included in the base $180.00. All range time and ammunition used are the trainees expense!
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

No shooting test at all in Virginia.

I'm not even even there was a "test" after the safety course I took to get the certificate. I think we just took the course (an NRA basic handgun safety course) and the teacher signed that we had taken the course. It was a while ago, and I really can't remember a test, but there might have been one.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

In FL you don't need to shoot, just be trained in the laws involved. The shooting is what the NRA sanctions from what I understand. Many places to the shoot but you basically pick up a gun, load it, fire a shot at a target, place the gun down. They just observe your finger placement and that you keep the muzzle down range.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

There may as well not be a test here either. This is county does not issue generally. Hope we get a new Sheriff this election.

Thanks---keep safe
    ---

I don't remember exactly how many rounds at each distance, but it was a total of 50 rounds at 3, 7, and 15 feet.

GM
    No shooting test at all in Florida.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

In Minnesota we've got a 'test' that appears to vary from instructor to instructor and is rather silly:

Subd. 2a.Training in the safe use of a pistol.

(a) An applicant must present evidence that the applicant received training in the safe use of a pistol within one year of the date of an original or renewal application. Training may be demonstrated by:

(1) employment as a peace officer in the state of Minnesota within the past year; or

(2) completion of a firearms safety or training course providing basic training in the safe use of a pistol and conducted by a certified instructor.

B(b) Basic training must include:

(1) instruction in the fundamentals of pistol use;

(2) successful completion of an actual shooting qualification exercise; and ...

Nobody defines what a "shooting qualification exercise" means, but it's basically less strict than your CA one. Some instructor let their students to shoot with a .22, for example. Some 'tests' require 50 rounds, others 30 rounds, and usually 70% hit rate qualifies you for the permit to carry a firearm.

When I took the test in VA it was through the NRA at the NRA HdQ range & instruction center (basement) as taught by NRA instructors.
    It did involve and require a proficiency exam.
    You had to be able to demonstrate ability to handle safely, make function and fire with combat accuracy (8" circle) a firearm in order to pass the course.

The guns were S&W Model 41 autoloaders firing .22LR.
    This was 2005.
    I'd had to endure same upon moving here to MA.

Edit: I went and pulled my NRA cert...And it was marketed as "NRA First Shots" and on the certificate it states the gun I used to 'qualify' and it was my Sig GSR (.45 ACP 1911), which I had brought along because I already owned a gun. Those who did not own a gun could shoot the loaner .22LR.
    Passing this range test was then a requirement to pass the NRA course, to which then was acceptable for application to VA toward a permit.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    No shooting test at all in Virginia.

I'm not even even there was a "test" after the safety course I took to get the certificate. I think we just took the course (an NRA basic handgun safety course) and the teacher signed that we had taken the course. It was a while ago, and I really can't remember a test, but there might have been one.
    Nor in the NRA Home Firearm Safety Course
    NRA Course Descriptions

Non-shooting course and teaches students the basic knowledge, skills, and to explain the attitude necessary for the safe handling and storage of firearms and ammunition in the home. This course is designed for safe gun handling that is conducted in the classroom only. Students are taught NRA’s three rules for safe gun handling; primary causes of firearms accidents; firearm parts; how to unload certain action types; ammunition components; cleaning; care; safe storage of firearms in the home; and the benefits of becoming an active participant in the shooting sports.
    Nor in required the Hunter Safety classes, nor required in on-line course, nor required to get a dd214, etc.

All the above qualify in Va. See: Virginia State Police - Resident Concealed Handgun Permits

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1.Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2.Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3.Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4.Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5.Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6.Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7.Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8.Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9.Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
    Last edited by DaveH; May 11th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

No test in GA, written or shooting. No registering your guns here either.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

There is a shooting test in Connecticut, but there is no mandated course of fire or mandated score. It's all at the discretion of the Instructor.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

To the OP...
    I feel your pain in the requriements to carry in your area.

I believe that the CA (area you're in) shooting test is a bunch of toro feces...and with EACH gun you want to have on your permit?
    The requirements, the cost, the expectations are not mentioned anywhere in the 2A.OMO

In FL...
    Pass the background check, take a short course on CCW laws and gun safety and pass a written exam, demonstrate your ability to handle a firearm and fire it (requirements vary among instructors)...you're good to go. This is the way it should be...
    Should people get additonal training? Of course, but the little old lady who want to protect herself in her home, and in her car to and from the store shouldn't have to test out as a police shartshooter.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

Kyle
    ---

NC has a written test following the classroom part of the course followed by a shooting test. I do not remember the specifics but we did shoot from about 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 yards. Also since it is a concealed weapons class during some of the shooting we had to conceal our weapons, draw and fire. Our instructor was a local LEO, was very good and it was his intention for everyone to learn to shoot safely. There were a few ladies in our class that had never shot a handgun. He let them go last and he spent extra time with them helping them be comfortable and safe with the gun.

In PA....the only "test" is your background check. No "safe handling" class, no proficiency test...nothing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links